Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Transcripts of UFO sightings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 22-02-2006 19:41    Post subject: Transcripts of UFO sightings? Reply with quote

I came across this:

http://ufocasebook.com/Mantell.html

Which details part of a flight transcript. It's particularily the transcript I'm interested in. Does anyone have any links to other transcripts where pilots have radiod in sightings? Or perhaps police transcripts of reported sightings from on the ground?

It would also be interesting to have a log of them here and for people to discuss what may or may not have happened etc...
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8072
PostPosted: 22-02-2006 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a transcript of the Valentich sighting:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vufors/valensum.htm
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 3564
PostPosted: 23-02-2006 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could certainly do worse than looking at the 'Pilot / Aircrew Cases' section of ufoevidence.org.
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 23-02-2006 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhistlingJack wrote:
You could certainly do worse than looking at the 'Pilot / Aircrew Cases' section of ufoevidence.org.
Yeah, I've had a sifty there. they're mostly reports 'of', unfortunately, rather than actual transcripts which is what we're looking for. The stuff is VERY interesting however. I'll keep trawling, see if I find anything that resembles actual transcript.

Thanks Jerry B. Just reading that kind of creeps me out a little, much like the first transcript where you just wonder what the heck it is they're seeing.
crunchy5Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1756
PostPosted: 23-02-2006 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are usually good Filer's Files

http://ufoinfo.com/filer/index.shtml

Good idea for a thread Cool
eburacumOffline
Papo-Furado
Total posts: 1705
PostPosted: 23-02-2006 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that is a little odd about the Mantell 'transcript' is that it does not agree with the Wikipedia entry for this incident;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantell_Incident

Quote:
The tower immediately called Mantell and asked him for a description of what he saw. Odd as it may seem, no one can remember exactly what he answered. Saucer historians have credited him with saying, 'I've sighted the thing. It looks metallic and it's tremendous in size.... Now it's starting to climb.' Then in a few seconds he is supposed to have called and said, 'It's above me and I'm gaining on it. I'm going to 20,000 feet.' Everyone in the tower agreed on this one last bit of the transmission, 'I'm going to 20,000 feet,' but didn't agree on the first part, about the UFO's being metallic and tremendous.

So this transcript, which will have been prepared from memory, is perhaps not as definitive as it at first appears.
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8072
PostPosted: 24-02-2006 01:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - one caveat with all of this is that it's on the internet and thus has possibly been altered to sex it all up a little, or perhaps prove the case for any interested party.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 13-10-2008 04:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 Years on - and they are still looking for answers:

30 years on: UFO mystery still vivid
Mark Russell
October 12, 2008
It was Victoria's very own X-File: a world-famous mystery that remains unsolved 30 years after a young pilot disappeared over Bass Strait.

Steve Robey remembers it like it was yesterday. The now-retired air traffic controller was working the night shift at the Melbourne Flight Service Unit on Saturday, October 21, 1978, when the call came in at 7.06pm.

Pilot Frederick Valentich, flying from Moorabbin Airport to King Island to pick up some crayfish, reported that a strange aircraft was "playing a game with him" and he wanted to know if any military planes were in the area.

Both men were puzzled as there was no known air traffic in the vicinity apart from the 20-year-old RAAF air training corp instructor's plane.

Mr Valentich reported that the unknown aircraft had four bright lights and had buzzed him a number of times at great speed.

He told Mr Robey the object was orbiting on top of him and "it's got a green light and is sort of metallic, like it's all shiny on the outside".

Then it vanished.

Mr Valentich, who had had his pilot's licence for two years, said his plane's engines began rough idling and coughing when the object reappeared. He told Mr Robey he planned to continue flying to King Island.

Then came the message that the object had suddenly reappeared above him. "That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again … it is hovering and it's not an aircraft."

They were Mr Valentich's last words. A still unidentified metallic noise came over the radio during the next 17 seconds, then the transmission ended abruptly.

Mr Valentich and his single-engine Cessna 182L were never seen again, despite an exhaustive seven-day land and sea search. A Department of Transport investigation concluded that the disappearance could not be explained.

Mr Robey, now 61, told The Sunday Age that Mr Valentich was obviously distressed. While not prepared to say he believed Mr Valentich had been abducted by aliens, Mr Robey said he still could not explain the incident.

Asked if he believed in UFOs, Mr Robey said: "Yes, I suppose I do, but not in the definition of spaceships and little green men. I mean, you've got to have an open mind about these things."

On the night Mr Valentich disappeared, there were hundreds of UFO sightings reported from Geelong, Frankston, Cape Otway and Brighton. Some people described the object as brilliantly lit, oblong in shape, and moving quickly.

A woman at Queenscliff said she saw what appeared to be a ferris wheel spinning in the sky less than two hours after Mr Valentich's plane disappeared.

The Valentich case became world news and the pilot's family - father Guido, mother Alberta, brother Richard (12 at the time) and twin sisters Olivia and Lara (aged 4) - were thrust into a media frenzy.

Mr Robey, who befriended Guido, said the incident devastated the family.

"Losing your son in such strange, controversial circumstances was just unbelievable. Alberta pined for the loss of her son but Guido was the one who really wanted to find out what had happened to him," Mr Robey said.

Mr Valentich snr, who died in 2000, joined the Victorian UFO Research Centre and never gave up hope that his son was alive and had been abducted by aliens. He conducted a vigil at Cape Otway every year on the anniversary of his disappearance and erected a memorial plaque there in 1998.

Ric Wilson, an aviation consultant with the Australian UFO Research Network, urged the State Government to conduct a new search for the Valentich plane off Cape Otway to try to solve the mystery.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/46sfks
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13118
PostPosted: 13-10-2008 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, it's one of my favourite UFO mysteries. I wonder if the Alabama lot will bring Fred back?
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 241
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_MWQhEiXo

From the Unexplained Files a good piece on this classic case with lots of interviews including Robey the guy at the Airport that was the last person to talk to Valentich. The actual recording of the metallic sounds. Interviews with witnesses who saw two parallel tubes, joined by two smaller tubes flying in the area of the Cesna - one interviewee saw it buzz the plane.

It's truly one of the weirdest cases. It's sad that nothing esle is heard from Valentich after he says "it is hovering and It's not a aircraft..."

You wonder what happened was he knocked out or was it the communication that was just cut?
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 984
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughty_Felid wrote:

From the Unexplained Files a good piece on this classic case with lots of interviews including Robey the guy at the Airport that was the last person to talk to Valentich. The actual recording of the metallic sounds. Interviews with witnesses who saw two parallel tubes, joined by two smaller tubes flying in the area of the Cesna - one interviewee saw it buzz the plane.

It's truly one of the weirdest cases. It's sad that nothing esle is heard from Valentich after he says "it is hovering and It's not a aircraft..."

You wonder what happened was he knocked out or was it the communication that was just cut?

Is there somewhere to listen to the metallic sounds? I watched that video but it did not include them.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamalktk wrote:
Naughty_Felid wrote:

Is there somewhere to listen to the metallic sounds? I watched that video but it did not include them.

It's aired on Discovery channel and knowing Discovery it will be repeated. The sound was a sort of repetitive scratching.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-12-2013 07:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the doco again you can't help feeling how genuine everyone is. The eye witness accounts are all Aussie blokes from an era where you wouldn't come out with this stuff unless it happened.

Bit like SpookDaddy's post in the ghost thread about people working on the London Underground. Basically people never talked about stuff that they saw, but if they did it you tended to believe them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: