| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
rynner2 What a Cad! Great Old One Joined: 13 Dec 2008 Total posts: 21365 Location: Under the moon Gender: Male |
Posted: 09-09-2013 08:05 Post subject: Public Protector or Killjoy Kouncil? |
|
|
|
Kids upset at Falmouth bouncy castle ban: VOTE
6:00am Monday 9th September 2013 in Falmouth/Penryn
Children have been stopped from using a bouncy castle outside their Falmouth home after being banned by Cornwall Housing.
Scott Truscott, who has been putting up the castle on sunny days outside his house in Pengelly Place, said he now felt he was “being victimised.”
Mr Truscott said the castle was not just enjoyed by his children but youngsters from many other families in the area.
He said everything was tidied away afterwards and claimed he regularly cuts the Cornwall Council-owned communal grass in front of the row of houses, picking up dog mess and litter, just as the town council had been encouraging people to do during the Clean Up Falmouth campaign in July.
Mr Truscott said: “Some days we have 30 kids here. They’re not causing trouble. At the end of the day it’s children having fun.
“There are reports there’s no community spirit anymore and clean up the area where you |live. We’re trying to do that. It feels like we’re being victimised for it.”
He added that the children have been left “gutted” by the council’s decision, saying: “They’ve had weeks and weeks of fun on it. Kids don’t understand they’re not allowed to put it up and have fun.”
In a letter from Patrick Fielder, housing management in landlord services at Cornwall Housing, Mr Truscott was told “the grassed area is not an extension of your garden” but he questioned: “What else is it for?”
A spokesperson for Cornwall Council said: “While we appreciate the views of Mr Truscott over |this issue, as the organisation responsible for managing the land, Cornwall Housing has a legal responsibility for any activities which take place on this piece of land.
“Allowing Mr Truscott to operate the bouncy castle from this area would mean that we were giving him formal permission to continue and we would, therefore, be liable if any children were injured. In these circumstances we had no choice but to write to Mr Truscott requesting him to stop using the land for this purpose.”
Mr Truscott was also told to take down temporary fencing he said he had put up to prevent small children running in the path of BMX riders that “fly” down the hill to the track on the adjacent Lamb’s Lane Amenity Area.
Mr Fielder claimed in his letter that residents and tenants in the area felt “intimidated” by this and were forced to walk along the embankment rather than the communal footpath.
Do you think Cornwall Council was right to prevent the bouncy castle being put up in a public area?
http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fpfalmouth/10657701.Kids_upset_at_Falmouth_bouncy_castle_ban__VOTE/
This is a part of town I've never seen, but from the map it seems an out-of-the-way corner. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Quake42 Warrior Princess Great Old One Joined: 25 Feb 2004 Total posts: 5310 Location: Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 09-09-2013 11:54 Post subject: |
|
|
|
In fairness I don't see this as a "stupid rule". Mr Truscott has placed the bouncy castle on a third party's property without their permission. He appears to be expecting this third party to bear any risks/legal claims arising from children playing on the castle; certainly there is no suggestion he plans to indemnify the council from such claims.
The council is correct to insist that the bouncy castle be removed from its land. I have no idea why Mr Truscott believes this to be "victimisation".
Incidentally, I'm pretty sure there's also a nearly identical story further up on the thread. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Heckler20 The Sockpuppet of Cthulhu's Prodigal Son Joined: 16 Jul 2004 Total posts: 4702 Location: In the Nostril of The Crawling Chaos Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 09-09-2013 13:56 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quake42 wrote: | The council is correct to insist that the bouncy castle be removed from its land. I have no idea why Mr Truscott believes this to be "victimisation".
|
Indeed and I'm sure the parents making use of this free entertainment kindly provided by Mr. Truscott won't think twice about suing the council if one of their darlings were injured.
Unfortunately it would be remiss of the council legally, to leave themselves open to this, as the council themselves say, simply knowing about something and not preventing it is tacit acceptance of it under the law. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Anome_ Faceless Man Great Old One Joined: 23 May 2002 Total posts: 5377 Location: Left, and to the back. Age: 45 Gender: Male |
Posted: 10-09-2013 11:28 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quake42 wrote: | | The council is correct to insist that the bouncy castle be removed from its land. I have no idea why Mr Truscott believes this to be "victimisation". |
Probably because it's happening to him.
I mean, it's all fun and games until someone breaks their neck, or lands on their head, or dislocates their hip... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rynner2 What a Cad! Great Old One Joined: 13 Dec 2008 Total posts: 21365 Location: Under the moon Gender: Male |
Posted: 13-09-2013 09:17 Post subject: |
|
|
|
You can find Jobsworths anywhere:
Olympic champion Peter Wilson mistaken for whale hunter in Peru
By Ollie Williams, BBC Olympic sports reporter
London 2012 shotgun champion Peter Wilson has been accused of illegal whale hunting while travelling to the World Championships in Peru.
Wilson has gone to Lima to coach British junior James Dedman, whose gun was seized by customs on arrival.
"They opened the gun up and the man said: 'You're illegal whale hunters, aren't you?'" Wilson told BBC Sport.
"He insisted we were illegal whale hunters and set about reading us our rights in Peruvian."
Wilson, from Dorset, negotiated with officials for several hours, through an interpreter, before he and Dedman were released - but the gun remains impounded.
"My first reaction was 'you're kidding me'," said Wilson, who has been coaching Dedman for four months.
"I said: 'I'm the Olympic gold medallist.' Eventually I managed to prove who we were, but he wouldn't allow the gun out.
"Everyone has had their gun impounded, bar a handful of competitors - but they singled me out as the ringleader. This guy really believed it."
The gun was transported under Wilson's name as Dedman, 15, is too young to travel with it. The teenager, who is the only British under-21 competitor in the double trap event at the World Championships, will compete on Friday next week.
"He's rather fortunate he's only 15," said Wilson, who has taken a year's break from major competitions since winning the Olympic double trap at London 2012.
"If anyone was going to go down for this, it was going to be me.
"I was just quite happy to leave the airport, if I'm honest. We're going to go back tomorrow and hopefully get the gun back."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/shooting/24072528
I wouldn't imagine a shotgun would have much effect on a blubbery whale anyway... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Ronson8 Things can only get better. Great Old One Joined: 31 Jul 2001 Total posts: 6061 Location: MK Gender: Male |
Posted: 13-09-2013 09:41 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quote: | | He insisted we were illegal whale hunters and set about reading us our rights in Peruvian |
Would that be Quechua or Aymara ?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ramonmercado Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003 Total posts: 17933 Location: Dublin Gender: Male |
Posted: 24-09-2013 14:28 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quote: | Y Farteg: Village's Welsh place name 'ridicule' fear
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24217240
Varteg residents fear they will be mocked if the village is also called Y Farteg
n
People in Varteg in Torfaen fear they will be open to ridicule if proposals to use the Welsh language name 'Y Farteg' are adopted.
Many road signs in Wales show place names in both Welsh and English, and Torfaen council is consulting on which forms should be used on signs and maps.
The Welsh Language Commissioner supports the use of Y Farteg.
Torfaen councillor Giles Davies said: "You can just imagine people taking photos and putting them on Facebook."
Mr Davies said there was strong opposition from villagers, who have collected a protest petition with 150 names so far.
Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote
If they put that sign up it would just raise a laugh - I think there's nothing wrong with Varteg as it is, and they should just drop it”
Giles Davies
Torfacen councillor
The commissioner has told Torfaen council that Y Farteg is the name backed by the standard reference work, A Gazetteer of Welsh Place Names, and its recommendation should not be changed "without good reason".
For phonetic reasons the Welsh language 'f' is sometimes anglicised to the English 'v', something which has apparently happened to Varteg over many years.
If Y Farteg was adopted it would not replace Varteg, and both names would be shown on local signs.
But Mr Davies said: "Varteg is actually a Welsh name so we can't understand why people want to change it.
"It would be leaving the residents of Varteg open to ridicule and it would also cost money to change.
"When we first asked a couple of residents about it they were horrified. We went round and knocked doors and people were 100% against it."
Fellow councillor Wayne Tomlinson said: "If they put that sign up it would just raise a laugh. I think there's nothing wrong with Varteg as it is and they should just drop it."
Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote
The Welsh Language Commissioner has proposed the alternative name 'Y Farteg', upon which the residents of the Varteg community will be able to express their views”
Spokesman
Torfaen council
Torfaen MP Paul Murphy has also voiced his opposition.
He told the South Wales Argus: "I'm supportive of sensible steps to help the Welsh language, but this is not the way to achieve that - it will only fuel resentment."
In a letter to the council, the language commissioner's office said it supported the recommendations of its predecessor body, the Welsh Language Board, that Y Farteg should be the standard form in both languages.
It said its guidelines for standardising place names said if the difference between the Welsh and English forms was only one or two letters, then a single form was recommended with the preference given to the Welsh form.
It also said Varteg should not be adopted as the single form of the name "as this is a corrupt and non-standard spelling of the original Welsh name".
It also recommended the inclusion of the definite article "Y" (the equivalent of "The").
'Considered inappropriate'
A Torfaen council spokesman said: 'This new consultation follows a three-week public consultation in January which considered 22 Welsh place names across Torfaen.
"After discussion... the 'Farteg' was considered inappropriate and was not adopted at the time.
"The Welsh Language Commissioner has proposed the alternative name 'Y Farteg' upon which the residents of the Varteg community will be able to express their views."
The council will start its consultation on the name shortly and an event will be held in the community to gauge local views. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Kondoru Unfeathered Biped Joined: 05 Dec 2003 Total posts: 5788 Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 24-09-2013 16:58 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Nice to see the welsh language being corrected... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Cochise Great Old One Joined: 17 Jun 2011 Total posts: 1104 Location: Gwynedd, Wales Age: 58 Gender: Male |
Posted: 25-09-2013 08:50 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| I can certainly see an irresistible temptation among some members of the community to add an extra 'g'... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
| Pietro_Mercurios Heuristically Challenged
Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 25-09-2013 09:18 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| It's political correctness gone mad. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Spookdaddy Cuckoo Joined: 24 May 2006 Total posts: 3924 Location: Midwich Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 25-09-2013 10:22 Post subject: |
|
|
|
Could they also do something about Pant-y-Goitre.
I had no idea there was such a condition, and thinking about it makes me feel a bit poorly. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Ronson8 Things can only get better. Great Old One Joined: 31 Jul 2001 Total posts: 6061 Location: MK Gender: Male |
Posted: 25-09-2013 13:11 Post subject: |
|
|
|
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Mythopoeika Boring petty conservative
Joined: 18 Sep 2001 Total posts: 9109 Location: Not far from Bedford Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 25-09-2013 20:17 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| I remember Varteg from my childhood. My Nan lived near there and we visited every summer. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
JamesWhitehead Piffle Prospector Joined: 02 Aug 2001 Total posts: 5779 Location: Manchester, UK Gender: Male |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Mythopoeika Boring petty conservative
Joined: 18 Sep 2001 Total posts: 9109 Location: Not far from Bedford Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 25-09-2013 21:06 Post subject: |
|
|
|
Better go there tomorrah.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|