Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Lost Paths & Roads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 09-04-2006 04:46    Post subject: Lost Paths & Roads Reply with quote

Quote:
The Way Through the Woods

THEY shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again;
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
It is underneath the coppice and heath,
And the thin anemones.
Only the keeper sees
That, where the ring-dove broods,
And the badgers roll at ease,
There was once a road through the woods.

Yet, if you enter the woods
Of a summer evening late,
When the night-air cools on the trout-ringed pools
Where the otter whistles his mate.
They fear not men in the woods,
Because they see so few
You will hear the beat of a horse’s feet,
And the swish of a skirt in the dew,
Steadily cantering through
The misty solitudes,
As though they perfectly knew
The old lost road through the woods . . .
But there is no road through the woods.

Rudyard Kipling, in Rewards and Fairies [1910]
HERE
cassandra78Offline
What WAS that??
Total posts: 251
PostPosted: 09-04-2006 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats lovely. Thank you for posting it.
MaxMolyneuxOffline
Photography Ninja Of The Night!
Total posts: 1367
PostPosted: 10-04-2006 00:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find mate. Very Happy
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4014
PostPosted: 10-04-2006 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Ruins & Urban Exploration

Sydney's Ghost Roads
tattootedOffline
Jersey Devil
Total posts: 167
PostPosted: 12-04-2006 03:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Iowa, as in many predominately rural states, there are thousands of these little abandoned roads, marked by signs saying "umaintained country road, Grade B, enter at own risk." I love these roads that connect nothing, deadend abruptly, and are perfect for just hanging out and watching the skies change overhead. Dead roads have an incredible essence, a presence, whether it be of fairies or just the weight of their own forgotten histories.

Stephen King wrote a short story, maybe in Skeleton Crew? about a man who goes off with a modern equivalent of the Fairy Queen, driving wildly in her car down one of those cursed forgotten roads. Good stuff.
Creamstick1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 281
PostPosted: 13-04-2006 01:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more urban take -

Here in Glasgow, for years there was an unfinished motorway bridge, right in the city center, at the bottom of Sauchiehall St, near Charing Cross Undergound.

It came off an ordinary street, rose up (as a turn-on to the motorway), and just stoppped. The end of the street was closed off, but this half-finished bridge was there for years.
robbo616Offline
Eat flies,say I.
Total posts: 112
PostPosted: 15-04-2006 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A less urban take...

Where I grew up,in lovely Thornaby(England)There was a chunk(a few hundred feet)of Roman road,out in the woods-it's probably developed by now-but it had this feeling-nothing esoteric-this strange sense of once having been something important,but now left far behind....

Last time I was there(in the late eighties)in was still in a wonderful condition.

(As you go out towards Ingleby Barwick from the Town Centre)
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 15-04-2006 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, perhaps even the roads we think we know are lost . . . (strokes chin and stares meaningfully into the distance . . .)

I notice whenever we get a light dusting of snow and a bit of a wind to blow it that the road I can see from my house reveals the pattern of its underlying cobbles. They're completely invisible the rest of the time.

Now, since we're in poetic mode:

That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again. A. E. Housman Sad
rynner
PostPosted: 15-04-2006 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
Now, since we're in poetic mode:

That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again. A. E. Housman Sad

Ah, shit, that describes my life perfectly... Sad
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

US review for new book on ancient (Celtic) paths, navigation and technology. The Discovery of Middle Earth, by Graham Robb, is called, The Ancient Paths, in the the UK.
Quote:
http://www.salon.com/2013/11/03/the_celts_were_smarter_than_we_think/

The Celts were smarter than we think

A new book offers evidence that the Iron-Age Celts possessed highly sophisticated scientific skills

Salon.com. By Laura Miller 4. November. 2013

Graham Robb is an ambling historian. His best-known book, “The Discovery of France,” was based on his travels over 14,000 miles of road by bicycle. France, he argued, is not the culturally homogenous whole it’s typically assumed to be, but an assemblage of distinct and often insular local cultures. As Robb sees it, history, and especially its concealed but detectable residue, can be better understood up close, by putting your feet on the ground where it happened.

Perhaps fittingly, then, Robb’s new book, “The Discovery of Middle-Earth,” constitutes a detour. I should state immediately that this work has nothing to do with J.R.R. Tolkien, and was published under the title “The Ancient Paths” in the U.K., where Robb lives. But “The Discovery of Middle-Earth” might well appeal to the more cerebral and historically inclined portion of the Tolkien fan base, and the title is not inappropriate: Long before Tolkien adopted the name Middle-earth for his imaginary land, the term was used by Celtic and Nordic people for the world we inhabit, halfway between the realm of the gods and the underworld.

It’s the Celtic version of Middle Earth that interests Robb. He was researching a new book by biking along a very old road called the Via Heraklea, which, according to legend, ran from a promontory in Portugal (considered the edge of the known world in classical times), through the Pyrenees and the Alps to Liguria in Italy. The road was said to have been laid down by the Greek hero Hercules, but only fragments of it have survived to modern times, and parts of its course have long been a subject of contention. “In its original, mythic incarnation,” he writes, “the Via Heraklea marches in a straight line like the son of a god for whom a mountain was a paltry obstacle.”

Robb found that if he plotted out the trajectory of this line, it strikes an Alpine pass where sits a spring sacred to the Celts who also associated it with Hercules. In addition, this trajectory follows the angle of the rising sun at the winter solstice as it would have been 2,000 years ago. Another phenomenon that intrigued Robb were six place names along the Via Heraklea that are variants of “Mediolanum,” a name given to about 60 known sites in the ancient Celtic world of continental Europe. (The Italian city Milan is one of them.) Mediolanums are somewhat mysterious, as they seem to have had some significance, yet many of them are in the middle of nowhere (now and historically) and devoid of the religious artifacts typically found at sacred sites. Why were so many of them near the Via Heraklea, and was there some significant connection?

In short, yes, at least according to Robb. “The Discovery of Middle-Earth” is very much Robb’s own discovery — of what he asserts to be a magnificent, overarching, gridlike pattern, based on the heavens, determining the Celtic settlement of Europe during the Iron Age. ...

More at link.
Not one, but two, Guardian reviews for The Ancient Paths:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/11/ancient-paths-graham-robb-review

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/27/ancient-paths-graham-robb-review

Definitely in the Fortean territory of ancient paths, trackways and sacred geometry, with this one.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26166
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange this thread popped up again - just this morning I wrote:

"In the distance of the photo that accompanies this article is another stretch of tidal water, Pagham harbour. I spent a lot of time exploring Pagham in my teens (and even sailed there a couple of times). The area also has a history of flooding and reclamation - the land to the north of the harbour is below sea level, and in parts of the harbour could be seen the remains of roads that had been made on dry land before the sea came back in."

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1365070#1365070

I also mentioned Pagham and its sunken roads in 2002:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99022#99022
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: