Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Things that make you go... WTF!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Total posts: 1870
Location: Attice of blinkey lights
Age: 45
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we get the sh*te that's destined for the export market then. Laughing This stuff doesn't have the most appealing texture ever..
Back to top
View user's profile 
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Total posts: 1870
Location: Attice of blinkey lights
Age: 45
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm not mistaken, this is the second such case in a relatively short period of time.

Quote:
Judge approves forced Caesarean for mentally-ill woman

Doctors have been granted permission to perform an urgent Caesarean section on a mentally-ill woman with diabetes.

High Court judge Mr Justice Hayden gave specialists at the Royal Free London NHS Trust approval after a five-hour hearing at the Court of Protection.

He said the decision was "draconian" but necessary because the mother's life may be in danger.

The woman, 32, who is 32 weeks pregnant, was deemed unable to make the decision over how to give birth.

The ruling, late on Friday, came after doctors applied for permission to carry out the delivery in order that the patient's "unstable mental state" could be treated.

A specialist from the trust told the Court of Protection in London, which specialises in issues relating to the sick and vulnerable, that their priority was "keeping this woman alive".

The judge heard how she was thought to have paranoid schizophrenia, had stopped eating and tried to kill herself.

One doctor told the court that her mental and physical problems should improve and be easier to treat once the baby had been born.

Mr Justice Hayden ruled that neither the woman nor the hospital where she was treated should be named but the health authority should be named in order to "serve to reassure public confidence".

He added: "The decision to compel a Caesarean section on an incapacitous woman who is mentally and physically ill is an extremely draconian one.

"Doctors do not embark upon this lightly. It occurs extremely rarely. It is one that the lawyers also take very seriously indeed.

"I am perfectly satisfied that at the moment [this woman] is not able to make any reasoned evaluation of the advantages and disadvantages of a Caesarean section."

He concluded that the woman lacked the mental capacity to regulate her diabetic medicine and monitor her own intake of food and water.

In granting permission for the operation the judge stipulated that the patient should not be restrained or have force used against her.

A specialist advised the court that the baby would not be at risk if delivered via Caesarean section at 32 weeks.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25996231

I can't help thinking that the judge's stipulation in this matter isn't llikely to last 5 minutes. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile 
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Total posts: 5599
Location: Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If i'm not mistaken, this is the second such case in a relatively short period of time.


Yeah - although if you read the judgement in the first case, it painted a rather different picture to the hysterical media reporting.

Who knows what happened in this case, but I don't think decisions like this are taken lightly.
Back to top
View user's profile 
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Total posts: 1870
Location: Attice of blinkey lights
Age: 45
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would hope not.

The track record for people being treated particularly badly when there is a question about their mental capacity is a particularly poor one.
Back to top
View user's profile 
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Total posts: 2920
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC's Food and Drink was a pretty sad experience last night.
Addressing the fact that many families are on a tight budget, they demonstrated how to create some really economical dishes geared towards families with next to no money and no time to cook.

First up there was a slow-roasted breast of lamb with fresh rosemary with a salsa verde with chillies and anchovies and an olive oil dressing. (Start your totting up now). They helpfully suggested that you cook your shallots in half a bottle of red wine. But fear not... the wine expert was on hand to suggest 3 more wines at just under £7 quid a bottle to serve with this frugal repast. Once roasted, the lamb looked like a rat fresh off the skewer but probably tasted delicious. But at 2.5 hours to cook, I bet some would have to nip down to the newsagent to recharge the key meter during cooking.

And then came the pudding. I really don't understand why people need a food bank or young working mothers don't do what Michel Roux did and make individual souffles (emphasising how perilous and how wrong it could go while folding in the egg whites). Those on a budget would be delighted to know that should disaster not happen, their dessert worked out at only £2 per serving.

Of course the dessert wine recommended to go with it was £9 a small bottle but they seemed to like it.

So there you have it. Food and Drink does budget cooking. It's early on but this has got my vote as a runner for 'Most Preposterous Out of Touch Tosh of The Year'.
Back to top
View user's profile 
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 05 May 2009
Total posts: 1489
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
BBC's Food and Drink was a pretty sad experience last night.
Addressing the fact that many families are on a tight budget, they demonstrated how to create some really economical dishes geared towards families with next to no money and no time to cook.


Perhaps they aired the wrong episode?

No such luck, eh?
Back to top
View user's profile 
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Total posts: 2920
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
jimv1 wrote:
BBC's Food and Drink was a pretty sad experience last night.
Addressing the fact that many families are on a tight budget, they demonstrated how to create some really economical dishes geared towards families with next to no money and no time to cook.


Perhaps they aired the wrong episode?

No such luck, eh?


No. they kept banging on about how easy and value for money it all was. To be fair, Annabelle Weir did a piece within the show pointing out how bollocks it all was which was the strangest thing.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Total posts: 4001
Location: In the Nostril of The Crawling Chaos
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel Slater does a similar thing, his 'Simple suppers' made of leftovers presupposes you have huge hunks of meat, cheese and other ingredients 'left over'. Sure I often throw lavish dinner party feasts for twenty and have leftovers like that.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Total posts: 5599
Location: Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The track record for people being treated particularly badly when there is a question about their mental capacity is a particularly poor one.


Indeed, but the first "forced caesarian/adoption" case involved a woman who was in the throes of a severe psychotic episode and who would have died without the c-section being performed. She has a number of other children, none of whom she is able to look after - they are cared for by relatives who for whatever reason were unable or unwilling to take the new baby.

Despite allowing a year for the woman's condition to improve it did not and there came a point where it was felt that the child needed to settle into a stable family life rather than being left hanging on indefinitely. It's a terribly sad case but I think it was probably the only decision.
Back to top
View user's profile 
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Joined: 19 Oct 2001
Total posts: 1878
Location: insert witty comment here
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
SHAYBARSABE wrote:
jimv1 wrote:
BBC's Food and Drink was a pretty sad experience last night.
Addressing the fact that many families are on a tight budget, they demonstrated how to create some really economical dishes geared towards families with next to no money and no time to cook.


Perhaps they aired the wrong episode?

No such luck, eh?


No. they kept banging on about how easy and value for money it all was. To be fair, Annabelle Weir did a piece within the show pointing out how bollocks it all was which was the strangest thing.


Was this the episode where they said that the reason there is so much food waste is because food is too cheap and they should combat it by putting up the price of food?
Back to top
View user's profile 
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Joined: 25 Aug 2001
Total posts: 13082
Location: Eh?
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Indeed, but the first "forced caesarian/adoption" case involved a woman who was in the throes of a severe psychotic episode and who would have died without the c-section being performed. She has a number of other children, none of whom she is able to look after - they are cared for by relatives who for whatever reason were unable or unwilling to take the new baby.

Despite allowing a year for the woman's condition to improve it did not and there came a point where it was felt that the child needed to settle into a stable family life rather than being left hanging on indefinitely. It's a terribly sad case but I think it was probably the only decision.


Not wanting to sound judgemental, but who gets such obviously unstable women pregnant? Sounds incredibly irresponsible.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Joined: 31 Jul 2001
Total posts: 5945
Location: MK
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:


Not wanting to sound judgemental, but who gets such obviously unstable women pregnant? Sounds incredibly irresponsible.

Hope you're not offended but that sounds a tad naive.
Back to top
View user's profile 
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Joined: 25 Aug 2001
Total posts: 13082
Location: Eh?
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 00:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose, but it would be nice to think most people could think further than their next orgasm.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Total posts: 5599
Location: Over Silbury Hill, through the Solar field
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not wanting to sound judgemental, but who gets such obviously unstable women pregnant? Sounds incredibly irresponsible.


The father is reported as being an African immigrant to Italy who either moved there illegally or overstayed his visa. He is in touch with the mother but they are not a couple and he is unable or unwilling to take care of the child himself. In fairness to him the woman's mental health problems come in episodes and she may have been compus mentus when she met him - the psychotic breakdown during her pregnancy apparently occurred when she had come to London for a course or conference of some sort.

As I say, the judgement in this case is well worth reading because it puts a very different complexion on the media reporting of it.
Back to top
View user's profile 
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Joined: 25 Aug 2001
Total posts: 13082
Location: Eh?
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a lot more sense, but it's not a great state of affairs by any means. I wouldn't want to be a judge.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 325, 326, 327  Next
Page 295 of 327

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group