Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Austrian girl 'found' after years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9566
PostPosted: 20-12-2006 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor girl!
She's both claustrophobic and agoraphobic. Sad
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21095
PostPosted: 04-01-2007 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kidnap girl reveals new struggles

Ms Kampusch has not described her relations with Priklopil in great detail
Austrian kidnap escapee Natascha Kampusch has revealed more about her eight years in captivity and her struggle to cope afterwards.
She recounted how she tried to scream when she was abducted at the age of 10, "but nothing came out".

Since her escape last year, aged 18, she has been enjoying getting to know her family again, but said she was still treated "differently" by people.

She said kidnapper Wolfgang Priklopil had kept her on a very meagre diet.

"I was afraid I would starve to death", she told Austria's ORF television, in at least the third television interview since her escape.

Her weight has increased from the meagre 42kg (6st 8lb) she weighed on her escape. She had not put on weight at all during her captivity.

Threats to family

Her story has captivated Austria and the wider world since it emerged last year.

Wolfgang Priklopil threatened to hurt Natascha's family, she said

Ms Kampusch, abducted in March 1998, ran away on 23 August last year while Priklopil was distracted making a phone call.

The communications technician had held her in a small, windowless basement beneath his garage in the commuter town of Strasshof, 25km (15 miles) outside Vienna for eight and a half years.

He killed himself hours after her escape.

Back in 1998 she had seen him following her and had a gut feeling that something was wrong, she said, but did not cross the street because she was afraid of making a fool of herself and being run over.

In the first few days after her capture she found it impossible to sleep, she said.

"I couldn't see a thing. I could only listen," she said. "It was dark - so dark. I heard the rush of my own blood. I felt the tightness, the cold."

She said Priklopil had threatened to kill her family to keep her compliant.

She has never revealed whether her kidnapper forced her into any sort of relationship.

But she said: "On the one hand I was incredibly important for him, but on the other he treated me like I was less than nothing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6230363.stm
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5371
PostPosted: 04-01-2007 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the betting this will end in suicide?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 26-10-2008 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VIENNA - Austria has reopened a criminal investigation into the kidnapping of Natascha Kampusch (pictured) to determine whether more people were involved, officials said yesterday.

Ms Kampusch was abducted in 1998 at the age of 10 and was held in a cell beneath a house garage until her dash to freedom in August 2006. Her captor, Wolfgang Priklopil, took his own life hours after her escape. - (Reuters)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2008/1025/1224838827761.html
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 08-09-2010 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Austrian kidnap victim Natascha Kampusch releases book
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11228192

Natascha Kampusch during a German TV broadcast recording on September 4, 2010 in Hamburg, northern Germany Ms Kampusch was kept in a basement less than 10 miles from her Vienna home

Natascha Kampusch, the Austrian who was kidnapped at the age of 10 and held in a cellar for more than eight years, has released her autobiography.

The 22-year-old's account describes how she was beaten, starved and abused during her incarceration by her captor, whom she describes as "sick".

Ms Kampusch's kidnapper, Wolfgang Priklopil, killed himself after she escaped in August 2006.

The English translation of her book will be released on Thursday.
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

* Kampusch kidnapper 'acted alone'
* Austria cellar girl 'still not free'

Ms Kampusch was kidnapped on her way to school, aged 10, and locked in a windowless cell in the suburb of the capital, Vienna, less than 16km (10 miles) from her home.

In her book, titled 3,096 Days, she says was subjected to physical and mental abuse on a regular basis by a man who "wanted to have someone for who he was the most important being in the whole world".

"He seemed not to know any other way of doing this but by kidnapping a shy 10-year-old girl," Ms Kampusch writes.
“Start Quote

I even asked him for a good-night kiss, like my mother would give me... anything to preserve the illusion of normality”

End Quote Natascha Kampusch Extract

She says Priklopil used to routinely shout through an intercom system to "obey" him and forced her to clean his house half naked, calling her his "slave".

She was starved and at times beaten so badly she could not lie on her back.

Ms Kampusch also says Priklopil subjected her to some minor sexual assaults, tying her to him and forcing her to share his bed, but she says that it was less about sex and more that he wanted something to cuddle.

Priklopil also shaved her head and burnt her hair, she says, out of fear that police would find DNA evidence of her.
'Bedtime stories'

Ms Kampusch says she attempted to use "childhood instincts" to cope, such as asking her captor to read bedtime stories to her.

"It was a desperate attempt to create a small refuge in a hopeless situation," Ms Kampusch wrote.

"When the kidnapper came back to the cell I asked him to stay with me, put me to bed properly and read me a bedtime story.
Copies of Natascha Kampusch's autobiography The book is based on notes made by Ms Kampusch during her imprisonment

"I even asked him for a good-night kiss, like my mother would give me... anything to preserve the illusion of normality."

Ms Kampusch says she tried to kill herself several times before she managed to escape in 2006 when she was cleaning Priklopil's car and he was distracted by a phone call.

"I was alone. For the first time since the beginning of my imprisonment the kidnapper had taken his eyes off me," she wrote of her bid for freedom.

"Run, run, damn it, run!" she told herself.

The book, which is being launched in Vienna, is based on notes made by Ms Kampusch during her captivity.

A film based on her experience is due for release in 2012.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 14-09-2010 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kidnap victim Natascha Kampusch's escape 'guilt'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11297335

Natascha Kampusch during a German TV broadcast recording on September 4, 2010 in Hamburg, northern Germany Ms Kampusch was kept in a basement less than 10 miles from her Vienna home

Natascha Kampusch, who was kidnapped at the age of 10 and held in a cellar for more than eight years, says she feels guilty over her captor's suicide.

The Austrian's kidnapper, Wolfgang Priklopil, killed himself after she escaped in August 2006.

"I feel guilty because I brought about his death because of what I did," she told BBC Radio 5 live Victoria Derbyshire.

The 22-year-old has just released her autobiography.

She told the BBC she could have predicted Priklopil's suicide.

"I knew this whole thing wouldn't end any other way," she said.
Related stories

* Kampusch releases book on ordeal

"I knew that if I didn't try and escape, he would kill me sooner of later. And I knew that if I tried to escape, he would kill himself."

She eventually managed to flee in 2006 when she was cleaning Priklopil's car and he was distracted by a phone call.

"I know that I'm not to blame but I still don't feel comfortable about the fact I triggered it [his death]," she told the BBC.
Defiant

In her book she has described how she was beaten, starved and abused during her incarceration by her captor, whom she describes as "sick".

Ms Kampusch was kidnapped on her way to school, aged 10, and locked in a windowless cell in the suburb of the capital, Vienna, less than 16km (10 miles) from her home.

Despite his determination to control her, she said she found small ways to defy him.

"I figured out that [his] fits of rage weren't actually aimed at me - but at this strange, and inescapable situation," she said.

"Because even though he's locked me in and taken me away from my family and even though he controlled everything, he couldn't own me. And once I'd figured this out - it helped me to survive and cope."

Other methods of coping with her captivity included asking Priklopil to read her a story and give her a goodnight kiss at bedtime.

It helped soothe her longing for her mother, she said.

"I didn't want to do without the affection of my mother. I wanted to have the feeling I was kind of like at home," she said.

"It did make me feel a bit better. And it also showed me that my kidnapper was still human and had some empathy."

In her book, entitled 3,096 Days, she says was subjected to physical and mental abuse on a regular basis by a man who "wanted to have someone for whom he was the most important being in the whole world".

"He seemed not to know any other way of doing this but by kidnapping a shy 10-year-old girl," Ms Kampusch writes.

Listen to the full interview on the BBC Radio 5 live podcast.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5371
PostPosted: 14-09-2010 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book says one thing and she says another??

<shrug>
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 04-05-2011 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kidnap victim Kampusch's compensation claim rejected
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13275399

Natascha Kampusch. File photo Ms Kampusch's story shocked Austria in 2006

Related Stories

* Kampusch's 'guilt' after escape
* Kampusch releases book on ordeal

Austria's authorities have rejected a compensation claim from a woman who was kidnapped at the age of 10 and held in a cellar for more than eight years.

A lawyer for Natascha Kampusch, now 23, said she had argued the investigation into her 1998 abduction was mishandled.

But the authorities said there had been no "reasonable suspicion" at the time against her abductor Wolfgang Priklopil, the lawyer added.

Priklopil killed himself after Ms Kampusch managed to escape in 2006.

Lawyer Gerald Ganzger said the rejection of Ms Kampusch's compensation claim was "not unexpected".

However, he said that his client "had hoped that the interior ministry would at least be prepared to make a symbolic gesture of compensation, given the sloppiness and numerous faults in the inquiry".

The lawyer did not say how much compensation money Ms Kampusch had tried to claim.

He added that the money would have been given to charity.
Windowless cell Natascha Kampusch was held in 1998-2006 Ms Kampusch was held in a windowless cell in Priklopil's house near Vienna
'Sick' man

In her book - released last year and entitled 3,096 Days - she said she had been subjected to physical and mental abuse on a regular basis by a man who "wanted to have someone for whom he was the most important being in the whole world".

She also described her abductor as a "sick" man.

Austrian police questioned Priklopil days after Ms Kampusch had been kidnapped, even checking the car he had used to abduct the girl.

But police later abandoned this lead.

Ms Kampusch eventually managed to flee in 2006 when she was cleaning Priklopil's car and he was distracted by a phone call.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 28-02-2012 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Captor of girl in cellar may have had help
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0227/1224312436833.html
DEREK SCALLY

Mon, Feb 27, 2012

A NEW investigation into the Natascha Kampusch case has suggested her kidnapper did not act alone and may have been murdered by an accomplice.

The report’s author claims to have compiled a “thick dossier” of police failures during the girl’s nine-year captivity. Ahead of its publication next month, the report has already revived long-standing questions about Austrian police competence in the case.

Werner Amon, head of an Austrian parliamentary investigation into the case, suggests that perpetrator Wolfgang Priklopil had assistance in snatching and holding Ms Kampusch captive for nine years in the cellar of his Vienna suburban home.

“In my view, a single perpetrator theory is hard to stand up,” said Mr Amon, who claims to be the first person to view all evidence relating to the case in preparation for his report to the Austrian parliament.

Ms Kampusch was 10 when she was snatched on her way to school. Until her escape on August 23rd, 2006, she spent 3,096 days in captivity, mostly in the hidden cellar under Priklopil’s garage. Occasionally allowed excursions and holidays, she says she escaped while helping Priklopil wash his car after he was distracted by the telephone.

Central to the accomplice claims are photographs of Priklopil’s dead body, found on a railway track hours after Ms Kampusch escaped. According to police, Priklopil killed himself by lying down in front of a train. Mr Amon says Priklopil was beheadedcleanly, and with few of the secondary injuries usual in such cases. The railway employee who found the body was never questioned, according to Mr Amon, nor was a full autopsy performed on the body before it was cremated.

The investigator has expressed doubts that Priklopil wrote the farewell letter attributed to him, suggesting that handwriting samples match those of a close friend, Ernst Holzapfel.

He was the last man to see Priklopil alive: the two met in a Vienna shopping centre car park the afternoon of Ms Kampusch’s escape. Mr Holzapfel said his friend was agitated and spoke of how he kidnapped the girl nine years earlier.

Mr Holzapfel has admitted he met Ms Kampusch on occasions during the years of her captivity but says he knew nothing of the case and urged Priklopil to hand himself in to police. He was cleared by investigators of any involvement in the case in 2010.

A previous investigation in 2006 revealed “massive flaws” in the original police investigation. Previous investigations have already called the suicide note a “mysterious piece of evidence that calls into question the suicide theory”.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Derry-born actor to portray kidnapped Kampusch in biopic
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0417/1224314822275.html
DEREK SCALLY in Berlin

Tue, Apr 17, 2012

IRISH ACTOR Antonia Campbell-Hughes is to portray Austrian kidnap victim Natascha Kampusch in a biopic for release next year.

Campbell-Hughes, who recently appeared in Albert Nobbs, begins filming 3096 next month in Munich alongside Danish actor Thure Lindhardt (Illuminati).

The 29-year-old, born in Derry but raised in Switzerland and the US, is best known for her role in the Jack Dee sitcom Lead Balloon and Jane Campion's Keats biopic Bright Star. She won the Shooting Star award for up-and-coming talent at this year's Berlin film festival. She is involved in pre-production work in Germany and was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Director Sherry Hormann said she was anxious to take an "out-of-the-box" approach to filming the eight-year Kampusch kidnap ordeal after "encountering much prejudice, fear and worries about the material in the German-speaking world".

Casting non-German-speaking actors created a "liberating energy", she said, and allowed the creative team to "think beyond language barriers".

"Antonia Campbell-Hughes and Thure Lindhardt bring an outsider's point of view and are perfectly suited to capture the overwhelming essence of the story," said Hormann. "It's a universal story and the insanity of the act lies within the act itself, no matter where it takes place."

The young Kampusch will be played by 10-year-old Londoner Amelia Pidgeon.

The title of the film, which is based on Kampusch's memoir, refers to the number of days the Austrian woman spent in captivity after she was abducted on her way to school aged 10 in 1998.

Her abductor, Wolfgang Priklopil, kept her hidden in a secret cellar beneath his home for most of the eight years of her captivity. She escaped in August 2008 and now works as an occasional television host in Austria.

The project was initiated by Bernd Eichinger, producer of Hitler biopic Downfall. He died last year after completing a draft script, a final version of which has been finished by screenwriter Ruth Thoma.

The project comes amid renewed investigation into the Kampusch case, particularly the question as to whether Priklopil acted alone or had an accomplice.

Doubts have been raised about whether the 44-year-old telecom technician could have created the custom-built cellar alone, extending what was once the house's bomb shelter.

Hours after Kampusch escaped, Priklopil apparently committed suicide. His body was found decapitated after he lay down before an oncoming train in Vienna.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1939
PostPosted: 18-04-2012 07:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but she's 29?!

I've only ever seen her in Lead Balloon and I never would have put her as 29!
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9566
PostPosted: 18-04-2012 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...I'd have said more like 20.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 18-04-2012 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
No...I'd have said more like 20.

Shes well preserved, saw her recently in The Other Side Of Sleep. I think Saoirse Ronan would have been better for the role though.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1798
PostPosted: 18-04-2012 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't she already played this role in that Peter Jackson movie?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 18-04-2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Hasn't she already played this role in that Peter Jackson movie?

Yes but it was more of a fantasy film and not a very good one even with her great performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: