Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Money from out of the blue...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volfieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 115
PostPosted: 03-09-2006 13:17    Post subject: Money from out of the blue... Reply with quote

I was reading through some back issues of Fortean Times the other day. With great amusement I read letters from folks who claim to have found various types of coins dropped about their house seemingly out of the blue. I thought wryly, "Oh, sure, how come that never happens to me?"

A few minutes later I went to feed my dogs and in the middle of their otherwise empty food dish was a nickel.

Either the dogs are leaving me tips now or my moment of skepticism was heard by The Mysterious Coin Droppers of the Other World.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13579
PostPosted: 03-09-2006 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have unexpectedly found a nickel, and later a dime, in my back garden.

Here in the UK, that's unusual. Laughing
volfieOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 03-09-2006 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:

Well, now that you mention it... a few weeks ago the local ice cream man came 'round (it's a traveling truck that goes through the neighborhoods with a really annoying tune playing out of some hidden loudspeakers) and I reached in my pocket to see if I had enough change to buy me and my Scottish Deerhound a cone and I came up with a pound and a shilling of all things.

I assume that those coins got into my pocket (somehow) from my trip to the UK a few years ago but I'm not sure how. Maybe we should have a chat with our respective "money droppers" and ask them to only drop useable change, thank you very much. Better yet, large denomination notes would be best...
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13579
PostPosted: 04-09-2006 07:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I wondered where it came from!
kneesox1Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 44
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, reminds me of a wacky thin9 that happened to me when i was youn9er. actually, recently i was 9oin9 throu9h my old thin9s under my bed in my old bedroom (am away at colle9e now), and was amused to rediscover three dollars, all still attached to9ether (as if it was printed off and never separated)-- i had for9otten all about it after all these years. now for the WEIRD part.
these 3 attached $1 bills came into my possession when i was about 11 or so, i had 9one to the community pool, leavin9 my clothes and shoes in the ladies room on top of a bench. i come back, and find the 3 dollars in one of my shoes! unusual enou9h that i was left money, since $3 can take you a lon9 way at the snack bar, but unseparated bills??
shoe fairy i suppose...
Redhead666Offline
Eat right, exercise, die anyway.
Total posts: 129
PostPosted: 08-09-2006 16:26    Post subject: Re: Money from out of the blue... Reply with quote

volfie wrote:
Either the dogs are leaving me tips now ....

laughing
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 3495
PostPosted: 09-09-2006 08:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

volfie wrote:
....I came up with a pound and a shilling of all things.

I assume that those coins got into my pocket (somehow) from my trip to the UK a few years ago but I'm not sure how.
must have been quite a few years back?
PortaCeltOffline
Linguica on White Bread
Total posts: 23
PostPosted: 14-09-2006 04:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:

Well, sometimes I'll reach into my pocket for a quarter and pull out a Costa Rican 20 colon piece, which is exactly the same size. But I visited CR a few years back and brought back a lot of coins, and I'm a sloppy housekeeper, so ... no Fortean mystery.

On the bright side, I've found that the local parking meters will happily take a 20-colon piece (value maybe 6 cents) in place of a quarter. If only I had some way of ensuring a steady supply...
volfieOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 23-06-2007 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

H_James wrote:
volfie wrote:

I assume that those coins got into my pocket (somehow) from my trip to the UK a few years ago but I'm not sure how.

Sorry I'm getting back to this reply so late. I was in the UK in 2000. Why? Is one of those coins obsolete now? Was it obsolete back then? Boy, I wish I knew what I did with them so I could check denominations and years...
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12983
PostPosted: 24-06-2007 09:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

volfie wrote:
H_James wrote:
volfie wrote:

Sorry I'm getting back to this reply so late. I was in the UK in 2000. Why? Is one of those coins obsolete now? Was it obsolete back then? Boy, I wish I knew what I did with them so I could check denominations and years...

Shillings were phased out in Britain when decimalisation came into practice about 1971, but they were still in circulation for decades afterwards as five and ten pence pieces, their equivalent value.
volfieOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 24-06-2007 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
volfie wrote:
H_James wrote:
volfie wrote:

Shillings were phased out in Britain when decimalisation came into practice about 1971, but they were still in circulation for decades afterwards as five and ten pence pieces, their equivalent value.

I also had a London born grandmother who might have brought home change from her last visit, come to think of it. Probably I just thought something was a shilling which wasn't.

When I was there I thought you had a lot of coins but then I realized that we (the US) had about the same number. It just seemed like a lot when I was trying to remember what the value of each one was. Smile
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 05-07-2007 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt: It's The Secret happening. Laughing
TheInspectorOffline
Investigating the Fortean Since 1995
Total posts: 91
PostPosted: 13-07-2007 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

SameOldVardoger wrote:
No doubt: It's The Secret happening. Laughing

Sine I have never gone back in time to sleep with a young Betty Grable (from her How To Marry a Millionaire days), we can safely assume that The Secret is a marketing ploy.
rynner
PostPosted: 19-07-2007 07:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay boy finds £44,000 in games console
By David Sapsted
Last Updated: 3:01am BST 19/07/2007

A schoolboy who successfully bid for a PlayStation 2 on eBay, not only got the games console but found £44,000 in cash stuffed in the box as well.

The 16-year-old paid only £95 for the Play Station 2, which was supposed to come complete with two games. But when it arrived the games were missing and he discovered €65,400 instead - the equivalent of £44,064.

The boy's parents immediately called the police who are currently holding the cash as the suspected proceeds of crime, but it is possible the boy could apply to keep the money under the Police Property Act if the rightful owner is not traced.

Police only released details of the package delivered to the boy at his family home in Aylsham, Norfolk, today, although the surprise delivery was made on March 20.

Officers were granted an order by Norwich magistrates last month to hold on the cash for three more months under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

A Norfolk police spokesman said: "Our economic crime unit is looking into the audit trail to establish where this money came from. It is a live inquiry at the moment but nobody has been arrested.

"The boy discovered this large amount of cash when he opened the box containing the console. To say that he was surprised is a bit of an understatement. He was shocked and stunned.

"He was supposed to receive the console and two games but the games were missing and he got this money instead. His parents were immediately worried about where it had come from and contacted us.

"With that amount of money arriving in the post, there are concerns that it might have involved criminal activity."

Police said that the PlayStation box appeared to be "slightly undone" when the boy received it.

"If we find the rightful owner of the money and they have a legitimate reason for having it, then the money will be returned to them," the spokesman added.

"If it is found to be the proceeds of crime then the courts will be able to seize the cash for public funds. However, if the ownership cannot be ascertained then this boy's family could potentially apply to keep it under the Police Property Act.

"The family does not want to be identified. They want to keep as low a profile as possible. They are a bit concerned about this amount of money turning up on their doorstep."

A spokesman for eBay said: "We have a really good relationship with the police and always assist in their inquiries. We would have given over any details from the relevant contact information. It is difficult to comment on any on-going investigation."

http://tinyurl.com/22rxl6
crowwaddle
Grey
PostPosted: 05-11-2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I was bemoaning the fact I had no money, and wished out loud for some to turn up.

I don't know if it was the next day or the day after that when I came across £15, but I didn't pick it up, even after deliberately stepping on it and tying my shoelace as someone passed by so they wouldn't see it. I passed the money on the way back from my walk, but it still didn't feel right to pick it up, I can't explain why.

The next morning at 0530 walking the dog, I saw £20 on someones windscreen, on their driveway, which I also left. Yeah it was on the driveway, but it was only four steps away from my pocket. Smile

In the summer I found three one pound coins in the park. I was with my daughter, and pointed one out to her, I picked it up and then I saw another nearby, and then another, but I didn't notice them altogether. She made a profit that day, as I already said she could keep the first one. Laughing

We both said a thank you out loud, just as people suggest in the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: