Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Money from out of the blue...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9528
PostPosted: 07-03-2012 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
Put your money where your mouth is! Buy a lottery ticket! Laughing

Well, I did have a win a couple of weeks back - £55!
That's not going to change my life.
Recycled1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1934
PostPosted: 07-03-2012 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally win £25 from a Premium Bond. At least with such a pathetic sum you don't feel obliged to do anything other than spend it!
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 22-03-2012 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I had to go to the post office and as I went to get a trolley for the supermarket there was one with money still left inside as someone hadn't bothered to take it back inside. ( they have new trolleys they keep inside and the old ones with broken coin slots are on that side).
Anyway after I finished my shopping and was taking it back I passed an ATM and a bit further on was a $10 note lying on the ground. I picked it up but there was noone near.
Then last night I was taking out the garbage bag from the kitchen and on the bottom of the bin was an old 1 cent coin.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20908
PostPosted: 22-03-2012 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis177 wrote:
Yesterday I had to go to the post office and as I went to get a trolley for the supermarket there was one with money still left inside as someone hadn't bothered to take it back inside. ( they have new trolleys they keep inside and the old ones with broken coin slots are on that side).
Anyway after I finished my shopping and was taking it back I passed an ATM and a bit further on was a $10 note lying on the ground. I picked it up but there was noone near.
Then last night I was taking out the garbage bag from the kitchen and on the bottom of the bin was an old 1 cent coin.

You should buy a lottery ticket with the $10.

Maybe that black rat was a sign of luck.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 23-03-2012 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it really odd how some people seem to find money quite often, where as I rarely find any (other than the odd 1p on the street). My partner often finds it, as does his mother. They both put it down to being Jewish! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Is it a question of luck? Or is something stranger going on?
rasputinOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 23-03-2012 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a £10 and a £5 outside my apartment a few weeks ago, right after I had posted a message about finding money on the street on another forum. Talk about synchronicity!

I have been quite lucky with finding money on the pavement. I have found £10 about 4 times in my life, £5 once or twice and I once found £200 in £20 notes in a bundle years ago.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 23-03-2012 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh maybe I'll find some now! thanks Rasputin!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25754
PostPosted: 04-04-2012 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening, on my way to the pub, I spied a 5p coin lying on the ground. Normally, at my age, and with my bad knees, it's too much hassle to bend down and pick something so small up, but this time for some reason I did.

Just as well because it seems to have updated the old saying;
"See a penny, pick it up, all that day you'll have good luck!"
Because when I later went in the local shop for some items, a can of Stella refused to be scanned at the till - so the shop-keeper gave it to me as a freebie!

Cheers, mate! Very Happy
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1178
PostPosted: 05-04-2012 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Wife beater'? You lush!
Daftbugger1Offline
Thumb twiddler
Total posts: 264
PostPosted: 04-05-2012 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I found a tenner on my way to work, first thing Monday morning. (just outside the bingo hall) Made my day!
It looked rather crumpled, I strongly suspect that it was change from buying cigarettes, and fell out of someones pocket, as the packet was pulled out. I think it was karma, as I lost a tenner in January, when the wind blew it out of my handbag, one Saturday night, when i was after my keys.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 06-05-2012 09:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does this never happen to me? Sad

Bank error in your favour, collect 200m euros: German businessman allowed to keep interest from computer glitch that deposited huge sum of money into his account
By Helen Collis
PUBLISHED: 19:59, 4 May 2012 | UPDATED: 18:22, 5 May 2012

Faced with the dilemma of a vast deposit in your account from a stranger, how many of us would toy with the idea, or perhaps go ahead with, sticking it into a high interest account to profit from the error until it, inevitably, gets corrected?
To inform those who are not aware, in the UK this is not permitted, according to the UK Payments Council which oversees the payments system.

In Germany, however, it appears to be a different story.
One man has been told he can keep the €12,000 interest earned while it was 'resting in his account' overnight, after his bank mistakenly deposited €200 million.
Named in German media only as Michael H, he sold shares last April for €20,000, but his online bank, Comdirect, accidentally put €200 million into his account - 10,000 times the amount he was expecting. Shocked
Michael H then swiftly transferred €10 million of it into his current account in a different bank.

And although Comdirect successfully clawed back all the €200 million, it demanded €12,000 on top – 14.4 per cent interest on the money he moved, according to German media Die Welt and The Local.
A court on Thursday, however, ruled in favour of Michael H, after he sued his bank for taking the interest.
The district court in Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, ruled that Comdirect should repay the man the €12,000 – plus the interest it accrued over the last year.

While Michael H has re-clawed back the interest, the bank, which is owned by Commerzbank, is going to appeal, German media say.
No surprises there.
Quoted in The Local, a Geman bank spokesman said: 'People who want to use money that does not belong to them generally have to pay interest. That is the same for everyone.
'We only implemented normal procedures – it was nothing more than correct protocol.'

The English language news site said Michael H admitted it was fun to be a multimillionaire for a moment, but now regrets moving the money. 'It would have been better if I had done nothing.'
It appears banking errors of this type are not as uncommon as one might expect, although this is a particularly large sum of money.

One of the more talked-about cases was three years ago when a New Zealand couple, unable to resist the temptation, went on the run when NZ$10 million was mistakenly deposited into their account.
Their disappearance sparked an international manhunt, with Interpol enlisted to track them down.

The laws in the UK state that if you keep any money wrongly credited to your account, you could end up in jail.
Those unable to resist the urge to profit could be charged with ‘retaining wrongful credit’.
The 1968 Theft act defines this as: 'A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139681/German-bank-accidentally-deposits-200m-euros-businessmans-account-hes-allowed-12-000-euros-interest.html#ixzz1u507f6Co
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9528
PostPosted: 06-05-2012 09:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory:

Father Ted: That money was just resting in my account!

Very Happy
nailrodOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 10-05-2012 08:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 70s I got done for possession of a tiny amount of cannabis. I had to travel down from Inverness to Aberdeen for sentencing. I was hoping I would get away with an admonishment, and was aghast to be fined 50 quid (an astronomical sum for an unemployed newly-graduated student in these days).

On the way back home, I found a twenty pound note in the car park at Inverness station.

I muttered a grudging "Thanks" to the money fairy, with as much good grace as I could muster...
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-11-2013 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of pounds found in Spalding waterway

Around sixty thousand pounds in banknotes have been found floating in a Lincolnshire waterway.
A dog walker spotted the notes in the South Drove Drain in Spalding.
Officers said a large number of the notes were damaged but "a good quantity" appeared to be in reasonable condition.
The force is considering carrying out a detailed forensic examination of the money in an attempt to trace where it came from.

Magistrates have granted a seizure order to allow police time to investigate the find.
Det Con Steve Hull, of Spalding CID, said: "It isn't everyday that an amount of money like this is found.
"Somebody must have information that will help trace the lawful owner."

The money will remain with police until the investigation is complete.
If the money cannot be reunited with a legitimate owner then it will become the subject of a further court forfeiture order.
The force said anyone hoping to claim the money will need to provide proof of ownership.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-25008898

EDIT: The South Drove Drain seems to be a minor drainage channel to the south of Spalding, and miles from anywhere....
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-12-2013 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

York church to keep £100,000 bin bag cash

A church in York has been told it can keep about £100,000 in banknotes which were found in a bin bag on its property earlier this year.
The bag was discovered by a local resident in August on land owned by the church of St Thomas with St Maurice and was immediately handed to police.

The church, on Lowther Street, has been awarded the cash by York magistrates.
The money will be spent continuing the work of the church within the local community, the Diocese of York said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25505482

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: