Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Money from out of the blue...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25730
PostPosted: 25-12-2013 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas, you've won the Premium Bonds – 124 times
A memorable Christmas for an 80-year-old who discovered a decade of unclaimed Premium Bonds prizes worth thousands
By Telegraph reporters
9:18AM GMT 24 Dec 2013

A pensioner has been given a Christmas to remember after discovering he had won on the Premium Bonds – 124 times. Shocked
Gerald Sargent, 80, of Swadlincote, Derbyshire, had not any winnings for a decade when he phoned National Savings and Investments. It apologised for the 10-year delay in delivering his winnings of thousands of pounds and gave him an additional £2,000 to cover lost interest.

His prizes were among 960,000 unclaimed since the first Premium Bond draw in 1957. These winnings are worth £45m.
Savers are able to claim their winnings at any time – and are encouraged to do so by NS&I, the Government savings arm, which launched a nationwide advertising campaign earlier this year to hunt for winners.
The body has also introduced practices to reduce the chances of prizes lying unclaimed. For instance, holders can manage their bonds online and opt to have any prizes paid directly into their bank accounts, with notification by email.

Mr Sargent said the discovery of so many winnings waiting at NS&I should be a call to others to act.
He told the Burton Mail: “After having my leg pulled by my family about not winning for so long, I rang NS&I and asked if they had lost me in the system and if so, had I won anything.
"They checked and initially found I had won 10 times this year but I hadn’t received any winnings.
Two hours later I got a call from the manager saying I had won more than 120 times. I cannot get back the last 10 years of my life. I am now 80 and have had to shut down most of my hobbies.
“I just want to urge people to check with these people and see if they have won as it could be a nice Christmas.”

Premium Bonds elicit fascination and frustration in equal measure among savers. Prizes are picked each month at random, and while the average return on your investments is around 1.3pc a year, there are tales of people who have invested the maximum £30,000 only to experience awful luck.

Yet the winner of September's monthly £1m Premium Bond prize draw held just £2,000-worth of bonds – only the 23rd occasion a sum this small had won the maximum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10536647/Merry-Christmas-youve-won-the-Premium-Bonds-124-times.html
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1108
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

On New Years Eve morning I was moving files around in the archive where I work. I put pile of files on a table and then saw something out of the corner of my eye - on top of one of my archive boxes was a folded up £20 note!! I have no idea where it would have come from - unless some silly person put it into a file & forgot about it and it slipped out as I moved them. It couldn't have been there long as I would have seen it before, and no one else was in the archive that morning.
You'll be glad to hear that it was spent very wisely on NYE drinks that night Very Happy

I've found a few £20 notes over the years, let's hope it keeps happening!!
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1779
PostPosted: 07-01-2014 09:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in MickeyD's for breakfast yesterday (I know, I know, I'm a sad lonely old scrote) I paid in more or less the right money, got 11p change, put it in the charity box.

Collected my stuff, sat down, and while eating found a 50p and a 1p on the tray, on top of the advertising sheet. Since I saw the server get a clean tray out and then put a fresh sheet on I have no idea whatsoever how they came to be there. It wasn't busy, I didn't brush against anyone or anything. I can't even see how it could be someone else's change because they take the money and give change before they start assembling your order.
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 279
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally I have something for this thread! Normally, I'm not one to find money, despite always being on the lookout for it (chronic brokeness will do that to you. Razz ) Recently, however, this has changed.

The backstory is this - it's been a particularly confusing time, lots of decisions to make and no way to know how things would turn out. I was desperate enough to ask the mysterious Powers-That-Be (whatever you want to call 'em) for certain signs that my choices were leading in the right direction or not. One of the "positive" signs I chose was money that was out of place. I chose this because, again, it was something I rarely ever found and would definitely notice if it was there. Also, because the aim was to receive a sign and not for financial gain, I included things like foreign money and monopoly money...just as long as it was a representation of money and it was distinctly out of place.

Shortly after this, I found a $20.00 bill on the lawn, washed up among wet leaves after a storm. Then there was a pile of coins that kept turning up behind the shed. After that there was $10.00 in monopoly money lying in the street (where I was walking, worrying over those decisions again) and two days later, another $20.00 bill in front of the house - and since this is out in the country where there just aren't many people to go out dropping cash, this was highly unusual.

The latest two incidents may have been the strangest of all - last week there was a British pound coin lying on the bathroom floor (no one in the house can even begin to explain this one!) and the next night, there was a Mexican peso underneath my pillow. Shocked

It sounds almost as if someone is playing a joke, but I assure you I haven't told a single soul about asking for this "sign", or that found money would have a special significance at all. Well, until now, when I've told the entire internet Laughing

It's been very intriguing experience so far.

Last edited by bunnymousekitt on 26-01-2014 12:35; edited 1 time in total
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25730
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnymousekitt wrote:

Fascinating indeed! Cool
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnymousekitt wrote:

Does your house have some persistent ghosts?

In my family there was a dead uncle who supposedly liked to put coins standing vertical on the floor behind a sofa in the living room in the house he once lived. They never understood where the coins came from.

At least they thought it was him. A relative who likes to think she's a medium, did a seance to send him to heaven where he should be. Haven't heard any more about this afterwards. Wink
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 279
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, intriguing is always good, in my book. Very Happy

SameOldVardoger wrote:

Does your house have some persistent ghosts?

In my family there was a dead uncle who supposedly liked to put coins standing vertical on the floor behind a sofa in the living room in the house he once lived. They never understood where the coins came from.

At least they thought it was him. A relative who likes to think she's a medium, did a seance to send him to heaven where he should be. Haven't heard any more about this afterwards. Wink

Nope, no ghosts in the house (that I know of,.. and now I have something else to fret about. Laughing )

It's too bad about your uncle though. Sounds like he was just having fun pitching pennies behind the couch, and they had to go and exorcize him. Wink
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1836
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnymousekitt wrote:
One of the "positive" signs I chose was money that was out of place.

Not a bad haul - $40 plus assorted coins and foreign currency - I'd say you got your confirmation!
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 23-02-2014 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little thing.

I especially despise the rudeness some people appear to think it is their right, as a matter of course, to visit upon certain types of worker (cleaners, bar workers, takeaway staff, for example).

Last night my local had a particular band on who always fill the pub to bursting - as bad as anything at Christmas or New Year. As usual the bar gets rammed, the staff is run ragged, and consequently it takes longer to get served – but some people can’t help acting like twats.

So this horrible woman barges up to the bar and within a very few minutes is giving really quite unreasonable grief to one of the staff – (the poor girl had only started the day before). I’m at the point where I’m about to tell the horrible wizened bundle of sticks to wind her scrawny turkey wattled neck in when I notice something flutter out of her purse and onto the floor – so I keep my counsel.

When she’s gone I pick up what turned out to be a twenty pound note, and when I have the opportunity hand it over to the staff member in question and tell her to put it in her pocket. It was nothing to me (as I've mentioned somewhere before I appear to have invented a superstition for myself whereby found money is bad luck unless it's passed on) - but I thought the poor bartender was going to burst into tears.

I believe that justice was served.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10660
PostPosted: 23-02-2014 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awfully like karma biting that woman on the bum.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 23-02-2014 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that I told the girl exactly where it had come from, so it wasn't as if it had come out of my own pocket. Although, I suppose I could have put it there if I'd wanted.
GingerTabbyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 87
PostPosted: 23-02-2014 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Spookdaddy! Thumbs up!
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1295
PostPosted: 24-02-2014 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a supermarket and I can tell you how bloody rude some people can be. Sometimes its the way some people look down their nose at staff and 'order' them to do something.

I really want to ask them what do they in life that is so earth shatteringly important that makes them feel superior?

Whether they are the Queen or someone who is homeless, I try to treat everyone with respect. I know their rudeness reflects their own insecurities, but damn it can be hard to bite your lip.

One example was a woman who nearly rammed me with her trolley, I only avoided it because I jumped out of the way. She demanded my presence because I had apparently glared at her. She said "if you don't like getting hit by trolleys you shouldn't be working here".
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 492
PostPosted: 24-02-2014 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter works at a supermarket and some of the customers are just incredibly rude or insane. One male the other day told her to have a nice day and she said " and the same to you" whereupon he started yelling that she was rude and should have repeated what he said.
He even went to the service desk to complain.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18745
PostPosted: 24-02-2014 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once waiting in line at a market to be served when an elderly lady leaned her shopping bag against my leg. When the trader said 'Who's next?' instead of shouting 'Two pounds of plums, please!' I turned to the old lady to ask her to pick up her bag, as it'd fall over if I moved.

She said 'Well if you don't want your turn, I'll have it!' and demanded to be served.

The trader turned to me with a Shocked look and I said loudly 'Better serve the old bag because she'll be dead soon!' and laughed all the way through the transaction.

What?

I never claimed to be nice. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: