Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Hobbit film
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19943
PostPosted: 26-11-2006 01:27    Post subject: The Hobbit film Reply with quote

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot over this but then again haven't they all made enough money to buy a couple of countries each?

Quote:
Hobbit goes ahead without Jackson

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson has been told he will not be employed on The Hobbit, the next film adaptation of a JRR Tolkien novel.

New Line Cinema, with whom he has been in dispute about income from the first Rings film, was not using him, he said.

Jackson had refused to discuss a Hobbit film until the case was settled but New Line said it now wanted to move on as it had "limited time" to make the film.

The Rings trilogy generated nearly $3bn (£1.6bn) in cinemas around the world.

Jackson's film company, Wingnut Films, brought a legal action against New Line resulting from an audit the company undertook on The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quote:
We have always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit
Peter Jackson

Jackson, a devoted Tolkien fan, said he had been removed from the Hobbit project by New Line, who also hold the rights to a second Lord of the Rings prequel.

The Oscar-winning director said New Line would not allow him to make the films unless he dropped the lawsuit.

Fans of Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings films have long called for a film version of The Hobbit.

The book tells the story of how Bilbo Baggins took the ring from Gollum.

"We have always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back-to-back, as we did the original movies," Jackson's e-mail to TheOneRing.net fan website read.

"We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board."

Meetings with film executives had been planned, Jackson explained, but then New Line called his manager to tell him that the company "would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the prequel".

'Move forward'

New Line was "actively looking to hire another film-maker for both projects", Jackson added.

"This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness or rancour.

"We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects."

Chris Pirrotta, co-founder of TheOneRing.net, said the fan site had a long-running relationship with Jackson.

Fans were "very upset", Pirrotta told Reuters. "We are seeing calls for everything from letter-writing campaigns to a boycott of the studio."

A spokesman for New Line declined to comment.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/6167972.stm

Published: 2006/11/21 09:37:32 GMT

© BBC MMVI
ghostdog19
PostPosted: 26-11-2006 07:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to take a look at the end of the LoTRs thread...

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=675860&highlight=#675860

Quote:
Zaentz Rings in Jackson for Prequels

As Lord of the Rings fans mounted a protest following word that New Line had dropped Peter Jackson from consideration as director of The Hobbit and another Lord of the Rings prequel, producer Saul Zaentz has given assurances that Jackson will indeed direct the two films. A German website, Elbenwald.de, posted an interview with Zaentz, who acquired the rights to the works of the late Rings writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, in 1976 (the Saul Zaentz Company owns Tolkien Enterprises), in which Zaentz says, "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us, in contrast, he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation." (The preceding quotation is a translation that appeared on TheHobbit-Movie.com from the German interview posted on Elbenwald.de.)
jefflovestoneOffline
Paddington - peace be upon Him
Total posts: 1348
PostPosted: 26-11-2006 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Jackson waiting for that hobbit to be rescued off that island?
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 19-04-2007 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

A petition to get Bill Bailey in the film:

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/244583166?ltl=1176992416
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7124
PostPosted: 19-04-2007 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty_Emperor wrote:

I think Emps is angling for a job as Bill's stunt double... Wink
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 19-04-2007 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timble2 wrote:
Mighty_Emperor wrote:

I think Emps is angling for a job as Bill's stunt double... Wink

I may or may not have already doubled for Mr Bailey on a number of occasions (professional courtesy means I can't comment) and clearly if he had a leading role in such a film my services might be required.

That is all I am at liberty to discuss at this juncture.
XanaticoOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1141
PostPosted: 19-04-2007 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want them to make an LOTR movie with the alternate casting choices for the original. With Graham Norton as Sam and Kylie Minogue as Galadriel
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5518
PostPosted: 22-04-2007 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would film Bored of the Rings.

All we need is someone to direct it, who's familiar with the source material, with experience in special effects and obscene puppetry...There's a guy in New Zealand who might be good...
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-04-2007 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anome_ wrote:
I was hoping someone would film Bored of the Rings.

All we need is someone to direct it, who's familiar with the source material, with experience in special effects and obscene puppetry...There's a guy in New Zealand who might be good...

That'd be the utlimate screw you over the Hobbit Wink
ArthurASCIIOffline
Hello Playmates
Total posts: 2894
PostPosted: 22-04-2007 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good taster site for Bored of the Rings can be found HERE.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1727
PostPosted: 16-06-2007 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rounding up the Hobbit gossip -

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=944
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 16-06-2007 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it true that it's come down to a short list of three to play Bilbo Baggins, in the new film version? Nicolas Cage, Will Smith, or Kanoo Reeves?
Brown_ForeverOffline
.. much preferred his original Forum name
Total posts: 230
PostPosted: 18-06-2007 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's not forget Tom Cruise. His lack of height would make him perfect for the role without any camera trickery whatsoever. Smaug's Hoard would probably just about cover the prick's fee, as well.

Mind you, I seem to recall "casting" Tom Cruise for the role of Frodo in a conversation back in the nineties when the LOTR trilogy was in production. We were discussing how nastily it would all turn out if Steven Spielberg were in charge. Let's hope nobody at New Line has that bright idea now.

Emp, glad to hear that I am not the only one who regularly gets accused of looking like Bill Bailey. Wink

PB (who spent the first nineteen years of his life living on Bailey Street )
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14800
PostPosted: 19-12-2007 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7150644.stm

Quote:
Jackson to produce Hobbit movies

Peter Jackson, Oscar-winning director of the Lord of the Rings movies, has signed a deal to produce two films based on JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit.

The filmmaker had been in dispute with New Line Cinema over income generated by the first film in the Rings trilogy.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us," said Jackson. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

A director for the films - prequels to the Rings movies - has yet to be named.

The two Hobbit films will be filmed simultaneously, with their release planned for 2010 and 2011.

'New chapter'

Sir Ian McKellen has already expressed an interest in reprising his role as the wizard Gandalf.

In a statement, Jackson said the agreement enabled his Wingnut Films company to "begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line".

The three films in the Rings trilogy generated $3bn (£1.48bn) at the worldwide box office and won 17 Oscars.

New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye had previously said Jackson would never make The Hobbit "during my watch".

Looks like it's going ahead, but not with Jackson as director? Doesn't seem right somehow. And are they splitting the book into two? It would fit into one movie, wouldn't it?
Hogarth999Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 172
PostPosted: 22-12-2007 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employing a hack like Jackson to direct LoTR was a big mistake in my book, resulting in some awful films. Obviously the majority will disagree with me on this but heck, it's just my ever so humble opinion.

Having Jackson co-produce The Hobbit also fills me with a sense of dread - no doubt he can make even more of a mess from his producer's chair.

There are many bad directors out there, but Jackson easily goes into my top 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: