Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Hobbit film
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5371
PostPosted: 05-01-2013 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a work of fanfic to me...
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 06-01-2013 04:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to see the 3D high-frame-rate version this afternoon. Will report back.

So far my experience of 3D has been disappointing - but then all the films I've seen in 3D were also poor films in 2D, so fingers crossed that this one bucks the trend.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 06-01-2013 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second viewing was the 48fps 3D version at the nearest IMAX theatre, and, not being a 3D officianado, I'm hard-pushed to say how much of the completely different feel is attributable to 3D and how much to the double frame rate; that there are transformative changes is indisputable.

From the very first scenes it felt extremely immediate and unfamiliar - for a film. In the same way the differing formats (PAL, NTSC and variants) of television seem quite odd when viewed back to back, this film looked and felt like no other I've seen; it was somewhere between movie and real-life - still closer to movie than reality, most probably - but it does feel very much as if you're in the scene, not looking in on the scene. It's odd because at some points it seems less-realistic by virtue of the the fact that it is more so. We are used to the Hollywood 'Shine' and softening that has been with us since recognisably modern movies became the norm, so when you get this fluid movement with very detailed and textured objects and costumes around you - and when the polish and shine is stripped - it feels odd. The one part that detracted from the immersion was the 'computer game' camera work for epic scenes, the zooms and twists and elevations which the human eye rarely experience. Including these seemed to pull one in the opposite direction to the drive for a human experience of the scenes. Other than that, it's much more like watching events unfold around you, especially in the outside scenes. Waiting at the end of the path to Bag End for Bilbo to wander down, one felt as if one could - if one wished - wander up the steps and up to the door; riding the ponies from the shire, well, one felt as if one were mounted with them and trotting side-by-side.

The 'layers' of 3D seemed to be roughly three: 1) Over your head & in your face 2) In the foreground, just proud of the screen, and 3) In the background. The presentation had enough real-life depth to mean that - at times - I tried to refocus on interesting backgrounds only to be defeated by the camera's iron grip - that I instinctively tried is a testament to the experience.

Anyway, a big recommendation from me.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 06-01-2013 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'm still deciding on a 48fps trip... and that may have just swayed me!
RavenstoneOffline
I suffer bad press in Genesis. I may sue...
Total posts: 1498
PostPosted: 06-01-2013 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even notice anything strange about the 48fps, and given the reviews I was looking for it. I did think the 3D was the best I've seen, although admittedly I've only see Avengers and Dredd in 3D (Avengers was awful - the 3D just blurred like old VHS. Dredd was better, but only on the slo-mo bits). This 3D just seemed right - you only really noticed it when you needed to, such as to accentuate the action.

I want to see it again, and I'd like to see it in 3D again rather than 2D. After all, I'll see it in 2D when the blu ray comes out, so I want to make the most of proper 3D while I can!
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1867
PostPosted: 06-01-2013 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elven king on his moose will stay with me forever! Embarassed
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2899
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got around to seeing this on the telly this weekend (I - ahem - happened to come into possession of a preview copy on a memory stick...), and I have extremely mixed feelings. There's just so much of this film to take in that there's plenty of room for good and bad bits, and boy, there are loads of both.

Good points - well, I saw it on the small screen, of course, and therefore not in 3D or 48 fps, but I thought it looked tremendous. Everything incredibly crisp, and just the right colour palette. As with LOTR, the epic quality was best seen in the sweeping shots of the company crossing the land, which were a feast for the eyes. I had worried that nearly 3 hours for 1/3 of a small book would have been way too much, but that wasn't the case. It bustled along at a fair old rate, which in a strange way was aided by what might otherwise have been seen as filler material. And for those still wondering, Sylvester McCoy was nowhere near the most annoying thing in it, which must count as a plus!

However... the action sequences (Radagast's mad rabbit-led race with the Orcs, the impossible frenetic chase in the Goblin kingdom) were utterly implausible. It's simply not possible (yes, I realise I'm talking about a fantasy film, but still...) that the entire party emerged from the caverns without so much as a scratch after that episode. Never mind extended version, a shorter version might make more sense, if PJ cut all the impossible stuff!

Anyway, I shan't blather on. Mostly, I agree with Yith's post of 15/12 and Skinny's of 28/12 - well worth seeing, and doubtless a second viewing after re-reading the book would be of benefit, but at the moment, some way behind LOTR in my affections. Mind you, I'm presently reading LOTR again, so I'll probably be scathing about those films after I've finished.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2918
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripart wrote:
Well, I finally got around to seeing this on the telly this weekend (I - ahem - happened to come into possession of a preview copy on a memory stick...)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Home_taping_is_killing_music.png/220px-Home_taping_is_killing_music.png
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13075
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me recently you can get pirated Blu-rays. Why bother paying for any entertainment anymore, we may be asking soon, if not already?
titch4Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 21-02-2013 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the movie just after christmas and totally loved it , it has hobbits! it has the shire! it has some lovely songs and music!
I didnt like the look of radagast, a wizard should have nobility and well...not have bird poo dribbling down him, and legolas's old man on a deer was silly but even the bits that where not from the hobbit i really enjoyed. The fan boys watching it with me really enjoyed it and the non tolkienites enjoyed it as well so it appears jackson pleased both camps.
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2899
PostPosted: 21-02-2013 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
Peripart wrote:
Well, I finally got around to seeing this on the telly this weekend (I - ahem - happened to come into possession of a preview copy on a memory stick...)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Home_taping_is_killing_music.png/220px-Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

Yes, well, it wasn't music as such, but I take your point. However, I see it more as a "try before you buy", and there's hardly any chance that I won't buy all 2 Hobbit films on DVD (or more likely Bluray) when they come out.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13075
PostPosted: 21-02-2013 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do say (whoever they are) that the more likely you are to watch a pirate movie, the more likely you are to buy movies in general, so maybe it'll even out in the long run. That's not what the studios want to hear, mind you.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2918
PostPosted: 23-02-2013 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
They do say (whoever they are) that the more likely you are to watch a pirate movie, the more likely you are to buy movies in general, so maybe it'll even out in the long run. That's not what the studios want to hear, mind you.

'They' would say that wouldn't 'they'?

Having said that, pirated copies can themselves be a glorious and unique experience.

Exhibit A....

Star War: The Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West,
The epicness of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith is made even more hilarious by the English/Chinese subtitles.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xFlKC0veggw/So3Duz90ejI/AAAAAAAAADE/yojL_8ns5Nk/s400/buyao.jpg

What is brilliant (and what the UK Census doesn't point out) is that the nearest thing the Chinese could find to being a Jedi' was 'Member of the Presbyterian Church'.

The movie also renames the characters so you get....

Obi-Wan Kenobi: He is called The Willing to Compares or Ratio the Tile and just Ratio Tile throughout the movie, but is also called Ratio Prosperous during the opening scroll, General Grievous also calls him Section ratio general before their lightsabre duel on Utapau, which seems to mean "General Kenobi" and Bail Organa calls him "Section pulls the ratio", which seems to mean "Master Kenobi"

It's since become the stuff of legend and some would say it's their favourite Star Wars movie.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Teaser Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idp6wjqG674
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1867
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the first movie the teaser trailer? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: