Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Hobbit film
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherbetbizarreOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1823
PostPosted: 30-01-2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be..?

Source

Quote:
Del Toro doubles up for 'Hobbit'

Jan 28, 2008

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

For New Line, making "Hobbit" had become a priority in the wake of its billion-dollar success of the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" movies, which were co-written and directed by Peter Jackson. Jackson wanted to adapt "Hobbit," but when he got into a dispute with the studio over profit participation, the project went into limbo; neither New Line nor MGM, both rights-holders to the film, wanted to risk alienating fans of the trilogy by making an adaptation that didn't have Jackson's involvement.

The December resolution of the Jackson suit, facilitated by MGM CEO Harry Sloan, paved the way for "Hobbit" to get back on the road to the screen. However, because of other commitments that included "The Lovely Bones" and "Tintin," Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles, opting instead to become an executive producer with approval over creative elements of the pair of films.

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired to adapt Tolkien's children's classic, though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.

"Hobbit," which Tolkien initially wrote for his children, was published in the U.K. in 1937 to wide acclaim. It centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

Del Toro is putting the finishing touches on Universal's summer release "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army" and recently produced the critically acclaimed ghost story "The Orphanage." He is repped by Endeavor and Exile Entertainment.
skinny46Offline
Doesnt believe in the
Total posts: 85
PostPosted: 31-01-2008 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tasty. Pan's Labyrinth was thoroughly enjoyable. But then I'm an easy lay when it comes to edgy directors and their films. Wink

This could be a dark masterpiece with del Torro at the helm, but I shudder at the idea of "fast tracking" the screenplay once the strike is over. They ought to take their good sweet time and let it evolve. Goddamn f*cken Marketeers pushing production rarely ends well for discerning viewers. Ah well, it IS all just Product now, isn't it?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26610
PostPosted: 09-12-2009 09:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

X Factor: Jedward lined up to play dwarves in new Hobbit film
X Factor twins Jedward are being groomed for roles as dwarves in the forthcoming Lord of The Rings prequel, The Hobbit, according to a report.
By Alastair Jamieson
Published: 8:10AM GMT 09 Dec 2009

John and Edward Grimes, the Irish teenagers who became an unlikely sensation on the ITV talent show, have been invited to do a screen test for the movie, scheduled for release in 2011.

A report in The Sun says staff working for film producer Peter Jackson contacted the twins’ manager Louis Walsh with the invitation.

If the 18-year-olds are successful, they will be flown to Los Angeles to meet Jackson and film director Guillermo del Toro.

They could be offered the roles of twins Fili and Kili – part of a band of dwarves who accompany wizard Gandalf and hobbit Bilbo Baggins on a mission to reclaim treasure from a dragon.

A film insider told the newspaper: "Peter is keen to see if Jedward have any acting ability. He needs twins for these parts and they have a perfect look for the film.

"But the characters have very prominent roles. They are the youngest dwarves and are sent out scouting a lot.

"The big question is whether Jedward could settle down on a major shoot because they are so excitable and hyperactive."

The Hobbit, based on the JRR Tolkein book, is due to be released in 2011 and filming will begin in the summer.

Among others rumoured to taking part is singer Tom Waits, whose voice could be used for the part of Smaug, the dragon faced by Bilbo Baggins at the climax of the tale.

Other potential roles for Waits include Beorn, a dwarf who turns into a bear or Thorin Oakenshield, the dwarf leader.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/x-factor/6767172/X-Factor-Jedward-lined-up-to-play-dwarves-in-new-Hobbit-film.html
JoeBerryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 18-12-2009 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

Remind me, do any of the dwarves in the Hobbit meet grisly, untimely deaths? Here's hoping...
sherbetbizarreOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hobbit will be shot in 4D

Del Toro using delay to plan 'Avatar-beating experience'...
TangletwigsDeuxOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 01-04-2010 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL almost had me Razz
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1092
PostPosted: 09-04-2010 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeBerry wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

Remind me, do any of the dwarves in the Hobbit meet grisly, untimely deaths? Here's hoping...

I believe the two youngest hobbits and thorin die, so lets hope if it wasn't a joke, they get two play the two young hobbits and we can laugh as they die.
Dr_Baltar
PostPosted: 09-04-2010 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

titch wrote:
JoeBerry wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

I believe the two youngest hobbits and thorin die, so lets hope if it wasn't a joke, they get two play the two young hobbits and we can laugh as they die.

Fili and Kili, the two youngest dwarves, die at the end. And yes, you're right, Thorin too.
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 09-04-2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i play a hobbit in lotro online and must have hobbits on the brain now,saying they where hobbits lol
sherbetbizarreOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 31-05-2010 01:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hobbit director Del Toro quits

Guillermo Del Toro has quit as director of the two The Hobbit movies, but will still help write the screenplays for the Lord of the Rings prequels.

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming The Hobbit I am faced with the hardest decision of my life," the Mexican filmmaker said in a press release.

"After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

Full report at:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/3758073/Hobbit-director-Del-Toro-quits

Sad
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 01-06-2010 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind PJ taking his place,he annoyed me with changes to lotr but since the hobbit is a much more simple story he would have no reason to change to much, AND he is a pretty good director.
James_H2Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 584
PostPosted: 01-06-2010 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still appalled by the idea that they have to make two films from a relatively short book. Peter Jackson made some really cool films in the 80s, but the Lord of the Rings was boring, and Del Toro directing would have been my major reason to go and see it.
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 02-06-2010 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the movies.mostly because i think he caught the look of middle earth perfectly,as for the hobbit being in two parts, last i heard 1 was the hobbit and the other was a bridge movie between the hobbit and lotr,the hobbit in two movies would be a cynical money making exercise so would never happen... Crying or Very sad
James_H2Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 584
PostPosted: 22-06-2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I always expected middle-earth to look a bit like Wales or something and felt like Jackson had made everything a bit too big... Wink
titchOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 22-06-2010 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle earth is so huge it would look like many different places i suppose. I always imagine kent as the shire even though i know that's wrong.
Only problem i had with the look of the lotr movies was the 4 hobbit s where to fair and slim, although all that trudging the length of middle earth would make the fattest hobbit slim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: