Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
1970's - why so dark?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2601
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 16:55    Post subject: 1970's - why so dark? Reply with quote

Right, this got touched upon briefly on the TV shows thread.

I was born in 1979 and so never experienced that era, however I have plenty of memories of stuff I saw on TV from the 70's and they always struck me as a very dark, depresing, sinister decade.
While I see the 80's as Rubik's Cubes and OTT extravagance the 70's always visualise for me dark, depressing morbid images.
Lots of documentaries about kids in America who got kidnapped and murdered, sinister TV shows and films from that era and other stuff.
Maybe it is just me and maybe it is an unfair perspective, I never lived then so only know of the bad stuff (How many docu's get made about kids who grew up happily ?).
However, I never lived the 60's or 50's and I dont connect them with dark, depressing stuff. Who knows what causes me to think this, does anyone else get this or get it with another time/era?
Philo_TOffline
But, this one goes to 11!
Total posts: 1217
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really saw it that way. I always saw the 70's as a reaction to the 60's, mainly, optimism died.

We couldn't trust the government. The world was going to end in an atomic holocaust. We were going to run out of energy. The minorities were becoming more equal / we just savagely beat down the civil rights movement (Americans only). Etc, etc.

The 70's was the "Me" decade, where after a decade of fighting the good fight against The MAN, we just wanted to get hedonistic, not be bothered with bigger issues.

Up until the mid 60's (JFK, civil rights ?) there was an optimistic view of modernism and the future. After that, our view of the future consisted primarily of distopias about how technology could ruin us. Look at "modern" architecture from post WWII to the 60's. Then look at what came after.
river_styxOffline
Chaos Magnet.
Total posts: 1841
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 80's was the me decade and the 70's was the start of mass-produced consumerism that lead up to the "I want, I need, I'll have at any cost" attitude of the 80's.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 70's were a time when the sexual revolution and fulfilment of one's desires without moral or ethical considerations was the norm. I know in America, the concept of the nuclear family was shot to sh*t and drug use and promiscutity was rampant. Or maybe that was just me and my friends.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 1969, and when I was really into music about 82/83 the Seventies were seen as absolutely hideous, all flares and hippes. And yet in the last few years its turned around completley.
A schoolfriend of mine absolutely hated the Seventies. So basically, his childhood! And the person who he hated with a passion the most? Dave Hill from Slade! Apparently, it was his fringe that did it! (my friend's favourite music for many years was Punk and Mod, so the hatred flowed freely through his veins!)
There seem to be a few threads with a lovely 70's nostalgic theme - The Goodies, Childhood Confectionary & Mystery Programmmes Of The 70's. I liked Beakboo's response on the "Comics" thread that he only read the Beano. I was the same in the 70's; Beano, Whizzer & Chips, Victor, Battle, Hotspur etc.
If any of you are interested in British comics, a brilliant website to go to is www.26pigs.com.
I would disagree with River_Styx's comment on the 70's being the start of mass-produced consumerism. For me I would have said the 50s, especially in the US when the suburbs sprung up (as in the Wonder Years) and supermarkets were first all the rage. I think the that the 60s was a reaction to that (although it has its roots in the folk/beatniks/beat poets underground)
I think the Seventies was a time when the reactionaries of the 60s became the mainstream, and then punk came along and it was all take, take, take, me, me, me.
So, I guess in conclusion, theres good and crap in any period, its just our selective memories sorting through the debris!
river_styxOffline
Chaos Magnet.
Total posts: 1841
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see dual timelines of how attitudes and social conscience have been affected since the end of WW2 by the demand for more, more, more. on either side of the atlantic.
I wasn't around for much of the seventies, blame the parents for not getting their act together until '78 for that one.
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2322
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a student during the 70s and had a great time!

Mind you, I was never much into politics, my main priorities at the time were to study hard, pass my exams and manage to have a good time as well . . .

Looking back at the photos, I find it hard to believe how I could ever wear such hideous clothes. They seemed OK at the time, though . . .

Carole
Jerry_BOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 8080
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 1969, and loathed the 70s - still do in fact. Even back then I hated wearing flares and anything paisley, brown, orange, etc.. Aside from good films and some good music as the decade closed, I'm glad they're behind us. The current vogue for apeing things 70s but giving it a cheesy 80s slant is sad and tired, IMHO. There was alot more interesting stuff going on in the 80s, but people can't see past the yuppie stuff.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

River_Styx wrote:

It would be interesting to see dual timelines of how attitudes and social conscience have been affected since the end of WW2 by the demand for more, more, more. on either side of the atlantic.
I wasn't around for much of the seventies, blame the parents for not getting their act together until '78 for that one.

There was an interesting programme a couple of years ago on Channel 4 about crime during WWII in London. It seemed to go against the grain that everyone pulled together during the Blitz, what with looting and murder going on.
Its strange how "cosy" a lot of the past is made to look, but there always seems to be a dark under-belly lurking which people try to shy away from. Also, try to get a copy of "The Filth and The Fury" about the Sex Pistols. When you see the times from when they came from - very bleak!
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember one of my favourite outfits at the time was a pair of loons, embroidered (by me) all the way up the legs, a long top with baggy, gathered sleeves and a pair of clogs . . . Eek Eek Eek Eek

Carole
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was naieve or lucky, or both, but I used to think nothing of taking one of the all night trains from Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then walking home alone from the station in the early hours. Never would dream of doing that now.

Carole
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 4920
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a somewhat opposite view of the 70s. The programs I remember were still somewhat bright and optimistic. The dark, depressing TV shows didn't really start until the 80s. (Not to say there weren't any depressing and dark programs in the 70s, just that the general trend was more upbeat.)

Still, as with many of the people above, I wasn't a great fan of "the 70s" at the time. (I was born in 1968.) Nor do I understand the resurgence in popularity of flares and such from the last 5 to 10 years.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13729
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read David Peace's '1974' to find out how it REALLY was!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first post I mentioned a friend who hated the 70s with a passion. Well another friend the same age was really into Genesis, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Hendrix and Led Zepplin which was pretty way-out for a 15 year-old in the mid-eighties. They would consatantly argue what was better; super-groups or punky ideals. They're both god-fathers to my son now!
Another typically 80s argument was "commercailiaty" in music. I still don't now what that means now! One point my two friends agreed on was that 80s music was so commmercial. I would always difuse the argument by asking them if they watched ITV or Channel 4. When they said yes, I replied that it was alright to watch commmercial TV then! An utterley pointless argument, but so vital when you're 16!
Imperial_CallOffline
Total posts: 1195
PostPosted: 02-05-2003 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 1965 I barely remember the 70's, wasn't that when we started to get colour TV? I do remember Red Rum winning the Grand National 3 times and going to the cinema to see Jaws and something called Star Wars , ah yes the days of queueing round the block, and "15th Great Week!" slapped across the posters ...

you didn't have a computer, mobile [cell] phones, VCRs, DVDs, CDs, playstation/x-boxes, you entertained yourself playing hopscotch or reading a book ...
you could listen to vinal records at 45, 33 and 78 rpm, you listened with mother on the radio, got 4 sweets for 1 penny, the sun always shone morning till night during the summer holidays ...

blimey that was a real "jumpers for goalposts" moment!

Oh an BTW Cat ... Beakboo's a girl Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Culture All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: