Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 02-12-2006 00:34    Post subject: Minor Strangeness Reply with quote

Is it worth having a thread for minor IHTM strangenesses, that dont quite warrant their own threads, or should I be posting this in chat?

I was in a bakers shop in chorlton, south manchester a couple of days ago. As I was walking towards the door on my way out, I noticed there was a poster in the glass door, the back of which was plain white, ie the poster was facing outwards. On the back it had hand-written on it "chorlton" in large letters, and it was uncannily like my writing. I took a close look at it and I was sure that I could have written it, so close was it to my writing.

Im worried now that I may be linked by expert handwriting analysis should it be involved in a murder case.

I may go back and get a photo, and a vegetarian sausage roll.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13730
PostPosted: 02-12-2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get me one of them rolls, would you? Hot if they do them.
zephyras1Offline
Grey
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: 02-12-2006 21:22    Post subject: Re: Minor Strangeness Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:

I was in a bakers shop in chorlton, south manchester a couple of days ago. As I was walking towards the door on my way out, I noticed there was a poster in the glass door, the back of which was plain white, ie the poster was facing outwards. On the back it had hand-written on it "chorlton" in large letters, and it was uncannily like my writing. I took a close look at it and I was sure that I could have written it, so close was it to my writing.

Im worried now that I may be linked by expert handwriting analysis should it be involved in a murder case.

I know exactly what you mean about handwriting which is uncannily like one's own. I was adopted when I was few months old, and met my birth-mother when I was in my early 20s. Each time I receive a card or letter from her, I become temporarily convinced that I must have done something idiotic with a self-addressed envelope because her handwriting is exactly the same as mine.

Could a close blood relative of yours have written on the back of the poster, I wonder?
tilly50Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 316
PostPosted: 03-12-2006 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I read somewhere that handwriting styles were learnt and so all those children taught in the same way ( would it be the same teacher or the same teaching method?) would develop similar script.
Zephyras makes an interesting point, does our handwriting reflect something in our genes? My eldest sons writing could be mistaken for my fathers, but my dad died several years before my son was born.
mindalaiOffline
spinster of this parish
Total posts: 801
PostPosted: 03-12-2006 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handwriting is identical to my mum's and when I write her name it looks exactly like her signature. It came in very handy back in my schooldays.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13730
PostPosted: 03-12-2006 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hopelessly illegible handwriting closely resembles that of my mother. Strange that nobody can read what either of us has written, yet anyone who knows us both can't tell our handwriting apart. Laughing

The handwriting of my four kids could never be mistaken for mine, thank goodness.
techybloke666Offline
Mad for Golf
Total posts: 2629
PostPosted: 03-12-2006 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can fully vouch for it being unreadable Wink

Amazing what spiders can do where ink is concerned.

My own handwriting isnt up to much either, to many years typing on computers I guess.
akaWiintermoonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 561
PostPosted: 05-12-2006 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

techybloke666 wrote:
Amazing what spiders can do where ink is concerned.

Laughing Riverdance? Wink

Back to minor strangeness. Might be something, might be nothing.

My mums had her Christmas tree up for about 10 days now (Bless her, they get so excited at that age don't they? Wink Very Happy ) and went to pop the lights on earlier. She has two sets on the tree and the bottom set came on fine, the top just wouldn't work. Around 10 minutes later, whilst still lamenting the fact that she (Mum) got the tree looking just right, and will now have to strip it, the lights came on. They're still on now (about 2 hours later.) No one had been near the tree, plug, or wire. The only other wierd thing was hearing her bedroom door creak open and closed but it was very windy so it was probibly that.
again6Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 421
PostPosted: 09-12-2006 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: handwriting, I might have posted this before too, but never mind.

We'd completed stocktake during a frantic weekend; thousands of individual item batches. After the weekend, someone came up to me with a completed form that had got lost in something. They recognised my handwriting and assumed it was mine.

The writing was mine, but the department was not. Otherwise I would have accepted it without question.

The head of that department wandered along, or was summoned and yes, it was his writing, his department and all was in order.

How could his writing be identical to mine to the point both he and I weren't sure for a moment who it belonged to? We even did identical idosyncratic little bits with certain letters and numbers. Neither of us wrote in script, but in fluid block print; same angle, same angularity; same emphasis and spacing; all same. We'd gone to school in different countries.

He and I arrived at work identically dressed; dark blue slacks, long-sleeved white blouse/shirt, red V-neck, fine-knit vest with navy and white narrow band at the neck on mine and his narrow band was just white or navy from memory; minor difference anyway. There was no company dress policy; either of us could have arrived in any colours or style we liked that day. Yet we'd both chosen to wear the same.

We were both taller than average, both of slim build, both walked very erect and swiftly, same hair colour, both used off-beat humour to relieve the monotony. Both heads of similar departments.

I went to him (with he and I in our almost identical outfits) and said in effect; ' Look, won't insult either of us by pretending to be sick or have an urgent appointment, etc. It's my birthday and I don't want to spend it in this dump. If you'll handle things for the day, I'm taking off '

He replied in effect: ' It's my birthday too and I was planning to take the rest of the day off.'

We discovered we actually did share the same date of birth, except he was year or so older. As close to a twin as I'll ever get.
markbellisOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 530
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 00:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

again6 wrote:
As close to a twin as I'll ever get.

He is not your twin. He is you from a potential alternative universe. He was projected back in time, had some plastic surgery, and continued working at the same place but was unable to clue you in because that would have had the effect of altering the future.
However, since the event you describe sound like they took place more than a few years ago, our universe has gone past the point in the space time continuum where the universes diverged and you can now greet the department head with a knowing wink and ask "How am I today?".
If this event has taken place less than a few years ago, no need to worry as this universe will vanish as soon as you read this.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 13-12-2006 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

markbellis wrote:

He is not your twin. He is you from a potential alternative universe...
Markbellis, have you been drinking?

Lets not go off into handwriting territory, which is interesting but not the original intention (and may get me started on my Zodiac Killer handwriting analysis obsession). Anyway, heres a shot of the handwriting in question from the original post for completeness sake:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/HdaMassa/Various/chorltonwriting.jpg
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 13-12-2006 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further Minor Strangeness: Invisible Soap

My doctor recently informed me I have a rare skin condition - a perfect complexion! She said she could tell I didnt smoke as I didnt have "smokers skin", which has made me lay off the marlboros ever since. Anyway, on a bit of a male-grooming tip, I bought a bar of expensive transparent "pure" soap.

This morning I was in the shower and the same bar of soap flew out of my hands and hit the floor of the shower unit. I looked down and couldnt see it anywhere. I thought, uh-oh heres another case of dis- and re-appearing objects then. I didnt crouch down to look for it, I was determined to see it from where I was stood. I looked for about 5 minutes. I even "skimmed" one foot over the entire surface of the shower cubicle base hoping I would come into contact with it, looking all the while. Nothing.

In the end I gave in and bent down. I immediately saw the soap right in front of me.

Uhhhh, sorry, but no photos.
rynner
PostPosted: 13-12-2006 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
In the end I gave in and bent down. I immediately saw the soap right in front of me.

Uhhhh, sorry, but no photos.

Yeah, a photo of invisible soap wouldn't be that exciting - and anyhow, someone would say you might have photoshopped the soap out of the picture! Very Happy
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 14-12-2006 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG bending over to get a bar of soap...don't ever do that in prison Wink
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 14-12-2006 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo667 wrote:
OMG bending over to get a bar of soap...don't ever do that in prison :wink:
Yeah hence no photos... and the only times Ive ever been to prison was to visit ex-girlfriends.

The soap wasnt quite transparent but it was opaque, milky, and it disappeared no matter how hard I looked for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 1 of 149

Jump to: