Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1779
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 09:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
Cochise wrote:
Nice try Smile - that's how a modern door with a double lock works - this wasn't a modern door. It was an old wooden door. probably 1920's. (Albeit much newer than my friends house, which was at least 300 years old)

Mine wasn't a modern double lock, either. It was old. Finally had to replace it, though: the handle stopped coming back to the default position.

As for the door being at 30 degrees: loads of things could have influenced the closing--a slight warp in the floor because you were standing there, a breeze, the local humidity, and so on.

I guess you had to be there Smile I have had a small number of other strange events that could be explained away by one thing or another, not least as being all in the mind, but it was the feeling of the door handle actually being pulled out of my hand that I have never been able to quite get over. There was a second strange event in the same house that was purely aural, but my wife heard it too. Neither event was in any way 'spooky', just unexplainable - except in the latter case by shared hallucination/misinterpretation, which is why I didn't spell it out.

I don't incidentally believe these events are all in the mind, although a cynic can explain them away thusly. I believe that there is a lot about life / the universe / everything that has yet to be explained / explored. Not necessarily 'supernatural', just not yet understood. We know there are things on the fringe of science that are gradually being accepted as 'real' and explanations are slowly coming forward, such as ball lightning - I'm just of the mind there are more things like that yet to be investigated.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1487
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
I'm just of the mind there are more things like that yet to be investigated.

Well, yes, that's why we're Forteans!

No one has yet explained to me where the huge metal bracket that held up our shower-curtain pole went. It detached from the wall while I was in the bathroom, dropped to the floor, and disappeared. Something that size, shape, and weight doesn't have many places to hide in a small apartment's bathroom. Never saw the thing again, but, that was years ago, and I don't live there, anymore.

It was something like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5d/5d40c76c-c1c3-4120-ada1-08a6dcf0b213_300.jpg
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25764
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
It was something like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5d/5d40c76c-c1c3-4120-ada1-08a6dcf0b213_300.jpg

I'd call that a socket, rather than a bracket. Cool

But the shape's the clue to the mystery - it's a baby flying saucer, and it's flying around, teasing photographers everywhere who can't get it into focus...

But when it's grown big enough, it will be off to explore the wider universe! Wink
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1487
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 01:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

I'd call that a socket, rather than a bracket. Cool

Of course, you're right. Thank you.

rynner2 wrote:

But the shape's the clue to the mystery - it's a baby flying saucer, and it's flying around, teasing photographers everywhere who can't get it into focus...

But when it's grown big enough, it will be off to explore the wider universe! Wink

Does that mean that tiny aliens are watching us in the bath?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9534
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:

Yes.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12940
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 00:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this is supernatural, but on a drive to a friend's last night I was travelling along a country road when in a layby we noticed a Renault Clio ablaze. As if that wasn't odd enough, there was NOBODY ELSE AROUND, nobody standing by the car, no one in the car (thank goodness), no police, no fire brigade, it was as if someone had parked their vehicle, set it on fire and walked off.

Obviously we were not in possession of all the facts, but it makes you think.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 221
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 03:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
I doubt this is supernatural, but on a drive to a friend's last night I was travelling along a country road when in a layby we noticed a Renault Clio ablaze. As if that wasn't odd enough, there was NOBODY ELSE AROUND, nobody standing by the car, no one in the car (thank goodness), no police, no fire brigade, it was as if someone had parked their vehicle, set it on fire and walked off.

Shows how rubbish British youth are.

At least in other countries joyriders/car thieves would have stripped the car down of anything they could use/sell on rather than just torch it.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 211
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 03:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP!! Spontaneous Auto Combustion Smile That is weird though.
CarlosTheDJOnline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 07:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you called 999 straight away........
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 285
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
SHAYBARSABE wrote:

Yes.

rofl

Gncxx - a flaming car on a country road and no one else around? Oh, that sounds eerie. Shocked Hopefullly no one was injured and had wandered away confused.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12940
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Obviously you called 999 straight away........

Well, neither of us have a phone so that would be difficult. If someone had torched it after stealing and abandoning it, why do so with so far to walk to the nearest town? Unless they had a friend following them who could give them a lift?
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 02:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was insurance fraud they probably did.
CarlosTheDJOnline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 08:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there definitely nobody in the car? Shocked
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 08:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:

Insurance job. Wink
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 415
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 09:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
gncxx wrote:

Insurance job. Wink

I was just about to say that Smile

I knew some right dodgy people in my younger days, and I know they did this a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 134 of 148

Jump to: