Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 146, 147, 148  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18736
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens. A builder who did some work for me told me this story:

He bought a car at auction, quite cheap. He was pleased with it at first as it seemed sound and even particularly clean. Smelt strongly of disinfectant, in fact.

Over the next week or so the wholesome smell subsided and another, more unpleasant aroma surfaced. No amount of valeting or scrubbing would remove it completely and he lost count of the sprays and air fresheners he bought for it.

Eventually after some digging at the auctioneers' he found that an unfortunate previous owner had killed himself in the car and not been found for some time. The car had then been cleaned up and sold by his family.

The builder decided to cut his losses and pay a local bloke to take the car off his hands. It was successfully 'stolen', driven 20 miles away and burned out in a field away from prying eyes, and the builder collected the insurance.

So yup, could be an insurance job, and there might even be a gruesome back-story.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1766
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really strange, but it just shows how the mind can work. Down the end of my lane there is a small stables, looked after by two guys with a blue van and a dog. They take the dog for a walk up the lane sometimes.

Was going out yesterday, and saw the blue van in the village, it had two men and a dog in it, I waved. You have to wait often in the village for cars coming the other way. About 500 yards further on I remembered I'd also had to pull over for the guy walking his dog on the lane, so as not to soak them (it is very wet here at the moment). So it couldn't have been them in the van, as that was several minutes later. Now, the people in the van didn't wave back, so I think the likely explanation is that it was similar people in a similar van, and as I was mainly concentrating on looking down the road to see if it was clear to move off my brain just 'filled in the blanks'.
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 492
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Cochise this reminds me of a few years ago when I was visiting my parents and was walking back from the shops.
I saw a ute with what I thought was one of my parents' neighbours driving and waved. with that the ute followed me around the block until I got to their gate and saw that it was a complete stranger.
After that I went and had my eyes tested for glasses. Laughing
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a thread on doppelgängers and doubles a few years ago. I've been seen on there. Wink

I was once noticed cycling round the side of my old house and going in through the gate, in my pink jumper, by my next door neighbour who knew me well.

At the time I was in a different town and my bike had a puncture and the gate was locked and only I had a key, and I never wore pink. Laughing

A couple of years later I did buy a pink top and would often cycle in it. Perhaps my neighbour had a premonition. Shocked
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14889
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Was there definitely nobody in the car? Shocked

Yeah, definitely, unless there was a body stuffed into the footwell. I think other posters are right when they think there was something dodgy going on. There were other cars on the road, too, so perhaps they called the authorities. I haven't heard anything on the news about it, so it was just one of those things.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1766
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 07:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with that the ute followed me around the block

Shocked
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1201
PostPosted: 22-02-2014 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now just suppose you saw a glimpse of this creature in the bushes ...
What memories would you have? What stories would you tell.
The possibilities are infinite Shocked

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/12028133276_db626a7224_z_d.jpg
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 22-02-2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be married to that! Laughing

So, what is it? Where is it? Very Happy

My own bit of recent minor strangeness: last night I was woken up by, well, something, which I thought was one of my several cats jumping on the bed.

I looked at the clock. It was 11:50. Then I heard a scuffling next to the bed, and the sound of claws on the bare floorboards. Whatever it was scrambled around the floor and under the bed for a minute or two while I leaned over the side of the bed bellowing my cats' names.

After a while I gave up and went back to sleep. It didn't occur to me until the morning that cats' claws don't make a noise on floorboards, and there's no room for a cat to run about under my bed.

So what was it? I'm wondering if it was a rat that the cats brought in. If so though there'd have been 'ell up as they'd have taken the place apart looking for it.

What it sound most like was my old JRT dog who died a year or so ago. She used to patrol the bedroom at night. But she's not here any more...
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2990
PostPosted: 22-02-2014 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a LARPer with an excellent makeup artist and latex mask. That must be a significant monster or a player character - the mooks are much easier to prepare with quick-change costumes.
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1201
PostPosted: 22-02-2014 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really remarkable set on Flickr. The amount of time this must have taken is remarkable and the quality of the result is fascinating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65704544@N04/with/12274568734/
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1533
PostPosted: 24-02-2014 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

uair01 wrote:
It's a really remarkable set on Flickr. The amount of time this must have taken is remarkable and the quality of the result is fascinating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65704544@N04/with/12274568734/

Uncomfortable to wear, probably, but looks grand.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1454
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 08:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
they'd have taken the place apart looking for it.

This paints a really funny picture. I'm fascinated with how when cats get their mind set on something their eyes open wide, then they get down low and start kneading the carpet with their front claws. I once startled a cat which was doing this whilst looking through the window at a chipmunk just a foot away. She was never the same after that.

Escargot, maybe the cats were afraid of whatever it was, because you're right - they'd have otherwise tore the place apart trying to find it.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 25-02-2014 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up, I've got to sleep there again tonight! Laughing

Strange that there were no cats around though. Usually I'd expect one or two of the four to be on the bed or nearby, if not actually sleeping on top of me.
wendytorranceOffline
Grey
Total posts: 20
PostPosted: 27-02-2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a frequent lurker/infrequent poster (think I posted my paltry fortean experiences when I joined!)

This evening a friend tagged me a facebook post, asking if any of her Scottish friends had seen the Northern Lights tonight. Not very hopeful, but intrigued, nevertheless, I went out into my garden as I knew it was a very clear night.
I looked at the sky for just a minute or two, when I noticed what I first thought was a shooting star, but quickly discounted the thought as it was too slow, and didn't 'disappear' as they do. It was too fast for a satellite or plane (but also looked more star-like than a plane). I even thought it could have been an insect, but it was really too dark to see anything of that size. The angle from which it all appeared to be happening also appeared to be much higher in the sky than that too. I appreciate these things are hard to judge though -especially at night.
Anyway, as all these thought were racing through my mind, it suddenly made a C shape then shot off into the sky. All of this was in a matter of seconds. The speed of the object appeared to remain the same throughout.

I'm genuinely baffled as to what I saw. I'm sure there is some mundane explanation, but I can't pair one with what I saw, at the moment.
Pinlight_DukeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 62
PostPosted: 28-02-2014 00:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendytorrance wrote:

Anyway, as all these thought were racing through my mind, it suddenly made a C shape then shot off into the sky. All of this was in a matter of seconds. The speed of the object appeared to remain the same throughout.

I'm genuinely baffled as to what I saw. I'm sure there is some mundane explanation, but I can't pair one with what I saw, at the moment.

That sounds like a classic UFO sighting. If you go over to the UFO boards you'll see that a lot of people have seen similar objects or phenomena. The "turning sharply then shooting off" behavior seems common. To my knowledge, though, there aren't yet any satisfying explanations for these phenomena.

Note that I'm not suggesting anything alien or paranormal. "UFO" just means we don't know what it is. Certainly it could very well been some natural phenomenon, for example, that we see as something unusual, but to date I don't think it's been figured out. Very intriguing, though.

You said the light appeared high in the sky - do you mean directly upwards from you and not close to the horizon? Any idea which part of the sky it appeared in? Where did it "shoot off" to?

Have you asked your friends if they saw it, too? Perhaps if other people were out trying to look at the Northern Lights others will have seen it. And if you're in Scotland, might I ask if you're in a mountainous area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 135 of 148

Jump to: