Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148, 149  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1848
PostPosted: 02-08-2014 08:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen to me at the Cornish Merry Maidens - a sort of crackling hum you could almost feel more than hear.

This was more than 30 years ago, though , and on a particularly atmospheric day - a warm but moist and misty morning in late spring.

And later in the day I had an irresponsible amount of Spingo beer at the Blue Anchor in Helston. Memorable day all round!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26172
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was on a bus when a man got on. He had a bus pass, but he didn't seem to know how to use it, although a notice on the ticket machine tells you to hold the pass against a certain area (where the RFID thingy will pick up its details).

But he kept trying to insert the card in the slot where the tickets emerge! Eventually the driver put him right, and we continued on our way.

Now the passenger didn't look stupid, or under the influence of 'substances', so I wondered what was going on. If he'd ridden the buses down here before, he'd know where the tickets came out, whether or not you have a bus pass. So perhaps he was new down here, and had only just got his bus pass.

But he seemed determined to stick the card in the ticket slot, which makes me wonder if he'd come from a region where you do have to insert your card into a machine, but I haven't been outside Cornwall for years now, so I don't know.

Any ideas?
RosebudsOffline
On the road to nowhere, just south of Sanity.
Total posts: 77
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 02:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably belongs on the coincidences thread; I was on a bus yesterday and an elderly couple got on.
They showed the driver their bus passes then asked if they needed to "put them in the slot". They explained that they had had the passes for several years but never used them before. The veterans smiled indulgently at the newbies. Very Happy

I have a vague recollection of London Tube tickets needing to be fed into a slot and popping out again in order to operate the barrier, so perhaps he was from there (other major cities, with underground transport, are available Laughing )

Last edited by Rosebuds on 08-08-2014 16:50; edited 1 time in total
Recycled1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1989
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 05:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Rynner's bus passenger was obviously more used to travelling on trains of both types.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 225
PostPosted: 09-08-2014 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of the older turnstiles at stadiums have slots where you have to insert tickets.

Also the man might have just had one of those days. Sleep deprivation as well can make even the simplest tasks seem amazingly complex at times, even familiar tasks. I was swiping a card the other day totally oblivious that the thing was chipped and needed inserting which ordinarily I would know. I had to cover a nightshift with little sleep and was exhausted.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1848
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 09:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange but not unexplainable.

Was trying to learn to fly the quad-copter mentioned elsewhere when it got to high and apparently out of range - at least, it was only partly responding to control and eventually drifted out of sight.

However, when it was at extreme visual range my eyesight seemed to just give up on the job and suddenly I saw a square pattern of four tiny dots that were the corners of an exact square and expanding rapidly. Then four white dots further out. This can only be some sort of optical illusion, but it might explain why people trying to strain to see UFO's in the night sky see patterns of things apparently flying in formation. Although I was in daylight, of course.

And if you find a small green and black alien looking object in your garden - well, its not aliens, its my quadcopter Sad
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 329
PostPosted: 13-08-2014 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is strangeness of perhaps the most minor type, but it still gave me a jolt and an odd feeling for hours afterward...

The other day, I visited a water amusement park where I used to go often in my youth. It was a nostalgic feeling as I wandered around this place and took these rides with my family that I'd enjoyed so much decades ago. So much had changed, but so much had also stayed the same. I'm sure you all know the feeling.

I had climbed to the top of a tall staircase and was waiting in line to board a water-slide that had been my favorite as a youngster. I was standing there, looking down onto the lifeguards who were helping guide people into the first (very) steep drop down the slide. I was lost in thought, remembering how, when I was 14 or so, I had a crush on the lifeguard who worked that same position then. He would sort of dangle me above the slide and chat me up befrore dropping me 15 feet or so into the water. (It's the kind of thing a teenager thinks is great fun, I suppose. Razz )

But that was long ago, and now here I was, in my identity of "older lady", looking down at a teenage lifeguard I'd never seen before, maybe young enough to be my son. It felt a little bittersweet.

Then the weird thing happened. The lifeguard turned away from his work for a moment (the slide was very busy and crowded), looked straight up at me and gave me a big, distinctive wink. Given my train of thought, it felt eerily like a wink of recognition, like my memory had flitted through someone else for a moment. Shocked

If the lifeguard was responding to a feeling of being watched, his intuition must have been phenomenal, as there were loads of people up there on the platform, watching. In any case, it gave me a weird feeling for the rest of the day...
hunckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 169
PostPosted: 13-08-2014 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely pulled.
Recycled1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1989
PostPosted: 14-08-2014 05:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
SleepyPandaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 09:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it's taken me this long to sign up to FT Surprised

I have quite a few weird stories, mostly involving my mum (she's pretty spooky, and I take after her a little bit) and, sorry, but quite a few about cats too!

On the subject of altruism in animals, when I still lived with my parents, one of the neighbours' cats brought home a one eyed cat one day, which they kept. The eye was an old injury I think, it had healed over and she was fine apart from that. Every cat in the neighbourhood 'took care' of Nelly (they called her Nelson before realising she was female). Our two cats actually used to invite her in the house to eat and drink out of their bowls - other cats weren't even allowed in the garden.

Cat weirdness: one of the two above-mentioned cats, Monty, died about 5 years ago (I have a VERY spooky tale about that). His brother, Louie, is still with us - he's 15 and in fine fettle. My mum and dad have also adopted my cat, Molly, when I moved into a town - we thought this was the kindest thing as she was used to village life and fields and woods, etc, - she's very happy at mum and dads and I still get to see her. She's about 5 (she was a stray so not entirely sure).

Anyway, Monty, when he was still around, had been watching my mum strip and re-wallpaper the staircase walls, and the little monkey then proceeded to tear strips off the new wallpaper. He of course got a telling off and never did it again, but he used to tease us by going to that spot on the wall and putting his paw up as if he was going to rip the paper off again - we'd shout 'Monty, don't you dare!' and he'd run away - all just a game.

The weird part: Molly, who moved in about 2 years after Monty died, has a couple of times gone halfway up the stairs and put her paw up on the wall with a cheeky look on her face, then ran away.

Coincidence? Could she 'smell' something on the wall? 'Ghost Monty' telling her about it? Or do cats communicate more than we think they do, and Louie told her about what Monty used to do?
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1973
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Very Happy

Yesterday one of my cats brought a sparrow in through the cat flap, very gently put it down on the mat and went back out.

The sparrow was fine. I opened the door, it flew out......Dex caught it again.....

And put it back on the mat!

It flew away higher that time.
SleepyPandaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Brilliant! Very Happy

Yesterday one of my cats brought a sparrow in through the cat flap, very gently put it down on the mat and went back out.

The sparrow was fine. I opened the door, it flew out......Dex caught it again.....

Ha! Maybe Dex wanted a pet of his own?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21440
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Brilliant! Very Happy

You were meant to kill, pluck and cook it for him.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1973
PostPosted: 16-08-2014 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little rosemary.
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 329
PostPosted: 23-08-2014 05:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunck wrote:
You've definitely pulled.

Nah. He wasn't my type. Laughing

In other minorly strange news, I was taking a walk the other day and found a slice of cheese in the road. How does a person lose one single piece of cheese in a country lane? Ah, the mystery of it all. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 147 of 149

Jump to: