Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Minor Strangeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 147, 148, 149  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2899
PostPosted: 23-08-2014 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large van disappeared from before my eyes the other day.

I was travelling in the outer lane of a dual carriageway, overtaking slower traffic, with a UPS van directly in front of me, and a white van behind. After we'd overtaken a couple of lorries, the UPS van slowed down, but didn't pull over right away. The van behind me cut into the now-empty inside lane, overtook me and the UPS wagon, and then pulled back into the outer lane. We were approaching a large roundabout, and I assume that, like me, the white van driver needed to be in the outer lane to turn right onto the M42. So we reached the traffic lights at the island, and I had every reason to think I was third in the queue, behind white van man and Mr UPS. After all, I could see all the vehicles which had already entered the roundabout, and the white truck hadn't done so.

With me so far? Good... so the lights turned green, and Mr UPS pulled away, and I glanced ahead, expecting to see Mr Slightly-Impatient rounding the traffic island, but he was nowhere to be seen. Plenty of cars on the roundabout, but nothing that would have blocked my view of this vehicle.

OK, so I'm sure that this van didn't really disappear, but I definitely didn't see it, on the roundabout or elsewhere, after it pulled in front of the UPS truck. To all intents and purposes, as far as my perception of events was concerned, it vanished.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1973
PostPosted: 23-08-2014 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he doing something in the region of 88 miles per hour?
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1198
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban collections of nothing.
Somehow I've been obsessively photographing urban objects. With more than 300 it's probably time to stop:

Balls in the city (spheres):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/sets/72157634735285612/

Omphalos - lingam (centerpoints and things pointing upwards):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/sets/72157634285676538/

There is some overlap between the collections.
Now I've gathered the raw data - how to analyze this? What conclusions to draw? What discoveries to make? Confused

Note: the title is stolen from this really wonderful and even fortean book:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/437002.html
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9664
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! Don't stop.

Just curious - have you ever found an 'omphalos' with two spheres at its base?

Wink
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1198
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Just curious - have you ever found an 'omphalos' with two spheres at its base?

Ah! I can do some data-mining for this.
I think this comes the closest:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/12571388003/in/set-72157634735285612

And this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/14095275381/in/set-72157634735285612

And it's only after your question that I realised how Freudian the combination of the two collections is. It was never intended that way (at least not consciously). Embarassed
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9664
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

uair01 wrote:
And it's only after your question that I realised how Freudian the combination of the two collections is. It was never intended that way (at least not consciously). Embarassed

Laughing
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 93
PostPosted: 05-10-2014 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripart wrote:

OK, so I'm sure that this van didn't really disappear, but I definitely didn't see it, on the roundabout or elsewhere, after it pulled in front of the UPS truck. To all intents and purposes, as far as my perception of events was concerned, it vanished.

I wrote a post on here once about a lorry in my drive that disappeared! Again, logically I knew it couldn't have done, but my perception that it did really freaked me out!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21440
PostPosted: 05-10-2014 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribbles wrote:
Peripart wrote:

I wrote a post on here once about a lorry in my drive that disappeared! Again, logically I knew it couldn't have done, but my perception that it did really freaked me out!

I'll have no truck with that.
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 503
PostPosted: 06-10-2014 02:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

When something happens we don't expect it makes us think.
At shopping centre last week I noticed 3 girls going the opposite way to us. Two were teens and one younger and dressed in shorts which it was a bit cool to be wearing I thought.
Anyway my daughter and I continued to buy a coffee and sit at the food court, but as soon as I sat down to wait for her to order who should pass by but the 3 girls again.
I couldn't work out how they could have come so quickly after going the other way. We are not slow walkers and they were not going over fast.
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 06-10-2014 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Scribbles wrote:
Peripart wrote:

I'll have no truck with that.

Wink
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 06-10-2014 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis177 wrote:
When something happens we don't expect it makes us think.
At shopping centre last week I noticed 3 girls going the opposite way to us. Two were teens and one younger and dressed in shorts which it was a bit cool to be wearing I thought.
Anyway my daughter and I continued to buy a coffee and sit at the food court, but as soon as I sat down to wait for her to order who should pass by but the 3 girls again.
I couldn't work out how they could have come so quickly after going the other way. We are not slow walkers and they were not going over fast.

Like the weirdly tall teenager one day in Prague that husband and I kept meeting walking towards us and we couldn't figure out how because he should have been behind us. Then I sat down in a square for a rest and hubby went to go look in some shops, and when he came back he saw the tall teenager sitting next to me! I was just staring straight ahead with a worried look on my face Shocked
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 387
PostPosted: 06-10-2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribbles... he wasn't.... golem-like was he? Shocked
dannyaggerOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 14-10-2014 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a friend who my other friends wouldn't hang around with, one of them said "she gets into your head". I thought this was complete nonsense and said so.

One day I was sat with this friend, and was thinking about the salsa I'd bought a couple of days earlier. My friend didn't know that I'd bought it and it wasn't something I normally ate, we'd never discussed it. My friend stared at me for a bit and then said, completely out of the blue, "how about some salsa then?" This was a long time ago when salsa wasn't in most shops here.

It scared the living daylights out of me. Undoubtedly a mere coincidence, but it was pretty freaky.

I find coincidences really fascinating. Another couple I had: I share a birthday with George Harrison. The night before he died I had My Sweet Lord continuously on loop in my head, couldn't get rid of it. This went on for hours. Turned on the tv later to find out he'd died.

I have his autobiography. One day it fell off my bookshelf on its own somehow, and when I went to pick it up, it had opened on the page with a picture of George's birth certificate...my birthday and his, albeit not the same year.

I know it's nothing more than coincidence but I find it interesting.
RyoHazukiOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 78
PostPosted: 15-10-2014 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago, when I was studying for my Btec in Engineering, I used to walk the couple of miles to college each morning, which took me around 20-25 minutes. There was only one practical route, which ultimately took me directly through the main (pedestrian) shopping area, and thence onto a hundred yards or so of footpath which led straight onto the campus.
One morning, I was walking through the shops, and saw a group of 4 students going into Woolworths; I didn't know them personally, but they were fairly distinctive in appearance, and I'd seen them almost every day as they were doing the same course, but in the year above me.
I walked straight into the campus, and headed directly for the classroom, walking past the glass-walled machine shop........... where I saw the same 4 students, wearing their brown tech overalls, fiddling with mills and lathes. There was no other route that would have allowed them to get there before me (even running flat-out), and they didn't come past me on my way in. I've never been able to get that event out of my mind, or even come close to explaining it. I could have just asked them I suppose, but I doubt I could have phrased it in a way that didn't make me look like an utter weirdo.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 223
PostPosted: 17-10-2014 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyoHazuki wrote:
Many moons ago, when I was studying for my Btec in Engineering, I used to walk the couple of miles to college each morning, which took me around 20-25 minutes. There was only one practical route, which ultimately took me directly through the main (pedestrian) shopping area, and thence onto a hundred yards or so of footpath which led straight onto the campus.
One morning, I was walking through the shops, and saw a group of 4 students going into Woolworths; I didn't know them personally, but they were fairly distinctive in appearance, and I'd seen them almost every day as they were doing the same course, but in the year above me.
I walked straight into the campus, and headed directly for the classroom, walking past the glass-walled machine shop........... where I saw the same 4 students, wearing their brown tech overalls, fiddling with mills and lathes. There was no other route that would have allowed them to get there before me (even running flat-out), and they didn't come past me on my way in. I've never been able to get that event out of my mind, or even come close to explaining it. I could have just asked them I suppose, but I doubt I could have phrased it in a way that didn't make me look like an utter weirdo.

Good story but hardly minor! Should live in the glitch in the matrix thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 148 of 149

Jump to: