Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Enfield Poltergeist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titchOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1092
PostPosted: 13-01-2012 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i may have quoted it before but i will do it again because i think its very important , from "The unexplained file ghosts" p116 "it is my opinion that Guy playfair and Maurice Grosse experienced genuine paranormal happenings, particularly towards the beginning of the case.." p 118 "specifically , as regards Mr playfairs book, i wrote that it does provide testimony which i personally accept as sincere, and some of which is reasonable to accept as competent, for the paranormal movement of objects, particularly earlier in the case". Both quotes are from Anita Gregory.

So Anita Gregory was not saying the whole case was a fraud , buts there may have been paranormal spookiness involved, most likely at the beginning.

I cant really compare the Enfield polt with Amityville, Enfield still has a healthy debate going on but i dont think many people will stick any organ on the line on for Amityville?
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1794
PostPosted: 14-01-2012 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

titch wrote:
I cant really compare the Enfield polt with Amityville, Enfield still has a healthy debate going on but i dont think many people will stick any organ on the line on for Amityville?

Amityville had an embellished book, an OTT movie, and an investigator and lawyer who claimed they "knew" it was a hoax. If you strip it back to the what the Lutzes say they experienced, it isn't too far removed from Enfield, for the most part.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 14-01-2012 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance it's been a while since I read the book and I struggle to keep up with who's who at the best of times was Anita Gregory one of the second team?
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-01-2012 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, her and Dr John Beloff form the "second" team. Although they were only there for one night, it was the night when the "voice" appeared. You can hear Grosse encouraging it to say "Dr Beloff" in audio clips.

Gregory returned a few times, but more on a social visit than to investigate.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-01-2012 01:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sherbetbizzare. It is as titch says important and illustrates the danger of, as I've done, relying on a piece of second hand information because it points the way you want it to.

So well done to someone whose taken their time to check their sources, something I should have done before using them to support my argument.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-02-2012 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Morning on ITV are having a "Supernatural Week", and yesterday saw an Enfield reunion of Janet and Guy...

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/life/supernatural-week-enfield-poltergeist/

...video is up of the 13 minute interview.

Quote:
Thirty years ago Janet Winter (formally Hodgson), was at the centre of Britain's most famous ghost story The Enfield Poltergeist.

For two years from 1977, the goings-on at 284 Green Street, Enfield, made national headlines as furniture moved of its own accord, fires spontaneously ignited and extinguished themselves and 11-year-old Janet appeared to be possessed by spirits.

Joining Janet, now 46, is Guy Lyon Playfair, a poltergeist expert who was one of the investigators who visited the house and subsequently wrote a book about what he saw called This House Is Haunted; and Deborah Hyde, editor in chief of magazine The Skeptic, to give her alternative explanation of events
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I could listen to that.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25754
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherbetbizarre wrote:
This Morning on ITV are having a "Supernatural Week", and yesterday saw an Enfield reunion of Janet and Guy...

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/life/supernatural-week-enfield-poltergeist/

...video is up of the 13 minute interview.

Quote:
Thirty years ago Janet Winter (formally Hodgson), was at the centre of Britain's most famous ghost story The Enfield Poltergeist.

For two years from 1977, the goings-on at 284 Green Street, Enfield, made national headlines as furniture moved of its own accord, fires spontaneously ignited and extinguished themselves and 11-year-old Janet appeared to be possessed by spirits.

Joining Janet, now 46, is Guy Lyon Playfair, a poltergeist expert who was one of the investigators who visited the house and subsequently wrote a book about what he saw called This House Is Haunted; and Deborah Hyde, editor in chief of magazine The Skeptic, to give her alternative explanation of events

Thanks for posting that - a fascinating summary of the events, and the chance to see two of the participants, who both came across as fairly reliable. (Janet is still clearly stressed by the events.)

The skeptic just came across as skeptical Rolling Eyes , quoting other cases that were proven to be hoaxes, so didn't add much.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know ... i like glp but he doesnt do himself many favours does he
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
i dont know ... i like glp but he doesnt do himself many favours does he

Well, hang on a second...

Wink
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 03:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this all a bit frustrating.
titchOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-02-2012 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherbetbizarre wrote:
titch wrote:

Amityville had an embellished book, an OTT movie, and an investigator and lawyer who claimed they "knew" it was a hoax. If you strip it back to the what the Lutzes say they experienced, it isn't too far removed from Enfield, for the most part.

Amityville had a basis of truth in it? i just assumed it was a load o balls with out paying it much attention.... Embarassed
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 01:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've not seen one of the documentaries on it in the last 10 years then? Smile
titchOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, in my ignorance i assumed the whole case was made up...moving swiftly onward in order to cover my arse...this is what Will storr says about MG and GLP vs Anita.

"In the end, reading through Anita's letters i get the sense that she had more of an issue with Maurice and Guy's scientific techniques then she did with the authenticity of much of the phenomena. It seems to me she thought Maurice and guy weren't logging and recording things in a way she thought professionals should, and they might have felt irritated when this was pointed out in the spr journal which was why they where over zealous in their anti Anita actions.In fact in an article that anita wrote for the parapsychology review in 1982, she repeats her doubts, but this time concedes that "there is nevertheless some good evidence and testimony"

Now to find the Amityville thread and hide my ignorance..apart from what is already on show here...
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-10-2012 00:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

On BBC4 tonight, repeated during the week, and on BBC's Watch Now for a few days is Top of the Pops from 1st Sept, 1977. This would have aired the day after Enfield case broke out, but sadly doesn't feature any of Janet's favourites from her bedroom wall!

Quote:
Tony Blackburn looks at the weekly pop chart from 1977 and introduces Hudson Ford, Elvis Costello, Joe Dolan, David Essex, Steve Gibbons Band, Elkie Brooks, the Dooleys, Nazareth, Yvonne Elliman, the Jacksons, Mink de Ville, Candi Staton and a Legs & Co dance sequence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n3xlj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: