Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Photo Messaging from Beyond?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 00:27    Post subject: Photo Messaging from Beyond? Reply with quote

This goes back to about 1993, maybe 1994, not sure. Pretty much all since childhood I had been close friends with 2 brothers A and M; A being my age, M being 2 years older.

M had a kid unexpectedly, and there was a Christening. Afterwards there was a little party in their back garden, during which I met a relation of their family I hadnt met before, K, who was probably in her late 60s or early 70s and a great-aunt or similar to A and M. I particularly remember sitting next to this elderly lady all afternoon boozing, singing, having a rare old time of it, sat out in the garden. It wasnt that clear to me then, but the lady was suffering from a decline into senility that was already quite advanced. My strongest memories of that hazy day centred around our mutual cameraderie. I remember we really hit it off.

About 6 or 8 months later I next saw M and family who were then living in London. Being a bit of a beat I hitched down there to stay with him and his family the weekend. Whilst there we looked over some photos of the christening as he said he had a great shot of me and K, smashed out of our heads. It was a nice photo, and he told me that K had recently passed away (weeks, or a month or two prior?). He gave me the photo and I put it in my bag, thinking no more of it.

Now at some point on that hitch-hiking adventure, either before or after London, and Im not sure exactly where I was going or had been, I had had a strip of 4 passport photographs taken, either for a railcard or a pass of some description. These were also in my bag...

When I got back to Manchester I discovered the back of the strip of passport photos had stuck to the front of the photo of me and K. My flatmate at the time, D (white-trash, but he had a ouija board and a girlfriend who needed the back of her heel bones surgically shaved every few months to prevent bone growing out through the skin!) was there when I, thoroughly disappointed with myself at having got the photos stuck together, peeled the passports away to reveal a near-perfect heart shape where the chemicals had run on the photo of K and I.

Photo as given (is that Ant Jones from Grange Hill???):

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/HdaMassa/Various/beyondanon.jpg

I didnt jump to any conclusions (D did) and just kind of put it in my drawer and forgot about it. Over the years Ive come to regard it as a kind of message - it does embody a particular sentiment for me now. Ive shown this to a few friends with mixed reactions.

I kept the passport photos for a while, with the inverse image of the heart on the back, didnt use them until a few years later then they became part of a piece of art by a pal of mine, SuperIan. I saw him recently to ask for them back but hes not sure where it is etc etc. I do rue the day I handed them over, because at least that would rule out deliberate treatment of the photo.

Sadly am no longer in touch with A, M etc etc .
akaWiintermoonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 561
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 00:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously when first clicking on this thread I saw the photo before I read the text. I honestly thought it was some kind of moth on the camera lens. Althought sadly K has passed away, aren't butterflys (Moths?) belived to be souls or spirits of those that have passed over come to visit?

EDIT: After restudying the photo, from a similcara (spl?) point of view you seemed to have captured a faerie! Just above Ks' sholder, on the horizontal of that line. And it's looking at her. Smile
licata1708Offline
Headmaster at the Sly-Lemkoff Picnic
Total posts: 93
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: After restudying the photo, from a similcara (spl?) point of view you seemed to have captured a faerie! Just above Ks' sholder, on the horizontal of that line. And it's looking at her. Smile[/quote]

Beautiful observation, I see it too. Smile
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 3495
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, you're not Nick Pope, are you?
mindalaiOffline
spinster of this parish
Total posts: 801
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the subject really but that purple pendant necklace K is wearing - I've got one exactly the same, which used to belong to my grandmother. I loved it as a child and it's nice to see another one!
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaWiintermoon and licata1708 wrote:
After restudying the photo, from a similcara (spl?) point of view you seemed to have captured a faerie! Just above Ks' sholder, on the horizontal of that line. And it's looking at her. :)
You two calling me a fairy?

H_James wrote:
Henry, you're not Nick Pope, are you?
What is this? Here I am baring my soul, an all I get is wisecracks.

I cant see a "faerie" in there, open to suggestions...

Just to explain that the "heart" in the picture is almost stood off the photographic paper in a kind of relief. Up close its full of textured gold strands and fine mottles. The faint line beneath is apparently from one edge of the strip of passport photos and there is a parallel one, although you cant see it on the scan (you can only see it on the photo when you turn it at an angle to the light), just above the heart at the very edge of the photo, couple milimetres long.
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive.
As for the artifact, I don't know what to say. It's a coincidence, but I find it quite hard to believe in 'just' coincedence sometimes. It seems quite meaningful, and so possibly 'meant'.
icarusgirlOffline
Grey
Total posts: 24
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately see the faerie thing. Beautiful picture. Henry, you look like a mature, handsome harry potter Smile
TommyK13Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture and a nice story. Who knows if it was a coincidence or a message? Either way you cant lose:

1. It is just a coincidence, but you have a nice story to tell.

2. It is a message from someone that you only met once and yet connected with. She is possibly thanking you for the last enjoyable shindig she had before passing away.

I find it nice that you can connect with someone for one day and then never probably see them again. I met a girl on New Years Eve and had a right laugh with her. She was like my best bud all night, but I doubt I will ever see her again.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarusgirl wrote:
I definately see the faerie thing. Beautiful picture. Henry, you look like a mature, handsome harry potter :)

Yeah I still cant see a "faerie thing", can someone give me directions. As for Harry Potter, surely you mean a young Mickey Rourke?
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
icarusgirl wrote:
I definately see the faerie thing. Beautiful picture. Henry, you look like a mature, handsome harry potter Smile

Yeah I still cant see a "faerie thing", can someone give me directions. As for Harry Potter, surely you mean a young Mickey Rourke?

I'd love to see the fairie-thing. Someone circle it plese...
...and Harold Lloyd springs to my mind... I'm getting me coat...
TheQuixoteOffline
Total posts: 3299
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
icarusgirl wrote:

Yeah I still cant see a "faerie thing", can someone give me directions.

I guess it does (with a bit of imagination) look like a sideview/profile of a person:

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/3193/fairysimulacra1pf5.jpg
akaWiintermoonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 561
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for the image Quixote, I don't have the technology - or the brains. Psychout Very Happy
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 07-01-2007 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, got it, the heart then becomes the wings... Kind of nice.
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
PostPosted: 08-01-2007 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as a butterfly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: