Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dowsing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lkb3rdOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 301
PostPosted: 07-08-2011 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the phone company, and a co-worker showed me how to use it to find buried telephone wires, and I'll be damned if it didn't work.
jimv1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2978
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 00:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the one thing that's consistently bugged Randi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQ4j5Vq03s

From 4.30 0n
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9788
PostPosted: 14-09-2011 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I saw a James Randi program on TV that was trying to debunk psychics.
There was one man, a dowser, who kept getting it right. Randi was visibly a bit put out by this, because it was most unexpected... Very Happy
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1899
PostPosted: 15-09-2011 08:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about it, the basic dowsing ability - to detect boundary changes in the soil below - is not so odd - we have no trouble detecting similar changes in the air.

I'm no advocate of the more esoteric claims for dowsing such as searching for things via a map, but I don't see why the basic concept of a human being able to detect changes in the ground under his/her feet should be impossible, just that the sense is so subtle that we no longer notice it unless we have some implement to focus on.
Patrick30Offline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 17:29    Post subject: Water Witching Reply with quote

My grandfather was a water witcher. He located all the wells for people in the community that knew him. He used to take me with him on these outings when I was small. He would go cut a forked willow branch and hold it palms down knuckles-in, in front of him and crisscross an area, around a 1/4 ac at a time. He got indications of the depth and vol of the water.
He tried to teach me with the willow stick, but I had difficulty.
He was able to show me the bent coat hangers, and I can find water with those to this day. Grandaddy said they were easier to use but told you less about the depth and volume to the water, and were better for finding underground pipes and such. Anytime I move to a new place I find and make a note of all the water lines. If Im gonna dig near one I dowse and mark its exact location. Ive never had a failure.
My father never had the gift at all, tho he did not doubt his father's ability or mine either for that matter.
It's funny the ability was never really considered divination by my family or my grandfather. It was just a natual abilty that some peple could do and some could not.
It wasn't until I was older and my gradfather had already passed when I read about people dowsing for things besides water, or to tell the future or whatever. I sure would have loved to talk to my grandfather about that.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26563
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting first post, Patrick! Welcome to the MB!

Do you have any ideas of the mechanism of dowsing? Or do you worry that too much analysis might destroy your talent? (Rather like the millipede who tried to explain how he kept all his legs synchronised, and then found he couldn't walk properly!)
Patrick30Offline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
An interesting first post, Patrick! Welcome to the MB!

Do you have any ideas of the mechanism of dowsing? Or do you worry that too much analysis might destroy your talent? (Rather like the millipede who tried to explain how he kept all his legs synchronised, and then found he couldn't walk properly!)

Its something I've thought about, but really have no idea.
I've always considered it to be perhaps electomagnetic in nature, nothing really supernatural. Like some animals get nervous just before an earthquake or approaching bad weather. But then I was raised by practical white Southern Prodestants. No hocus pocus, be it real or bullshit, is to be summoned except the Father/Son/Holy Spirit.

I still carry those beliefs around. While I've always been open to the idea of spiritual realms, I've always kept the attitude of "don't mess with it or you'll most likely find it, and it most likely wont be a pleasant experience".

So the only "guides" I summon are the good old Holy Trinity.
Works for me. Keeps the boogy man at bay if I listen.
edit: didnt mean to imply that I(or my Grandfather) pray or anything before dowsing for water. The activity is a practical everyday thing, not a spiritual one.

I registered a while back, but just have been lurking from time to time.
While I have an interest in things Fortean I don't have a lot of experience in such matters. This was a subject that I do have some personal experience with.

Last edited by Patrick30 on 14-07-2012 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21781
PostPosted: 14-07-2012 00:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Patrick, interesting story.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1244
PostPosted: 14-07-2012 06:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn't someone create a testing ground. A large field with just a few bits of water or metal underneath. If several people in a row (experienced dowsers) can pin-point these things, then mystery solved - right? All you have to do is prove that their odds of locating the items are well above chance (70% or greater) - something like that.

I didn't read the 9 pages so maybe someone already discussed this and it's old news.
jimv1Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2978
PostPosted: 14-07-2012 09:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Dowsing machine at a Fortean Exhibition at the Croydon Clocktower years ago. It had a central drum split into six sections, one of which contained water. On top, there was a choice of twigs and rods. I remember having a go. I pressed the start button and the drum span round and stopped. I walked around it with the rods until they crossed and pressed the button on the one which I thought contained water. It gave a green light. I did this about five times getting it right each time. As I put the rods back I noticed a small crowd had gathered behind me looking rather bemused by the whole thing.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26563
PostPosted: 08-03-2013 08:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click the Local News button on the BBC News website you can select your location (eg, Cornwall http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/cornwall/ ) and there's a useful panel there on Things to Do.

Here's one of Fortean interest:
Quote:
SUN 17 MAR
Try Dowsing
Kit Hill Country Park, Callington

Run by: Cornwall Council

Have a go at the ancient art of dowsing. We will look for water, archaeological remains, minerals, ley lines and more.

10:00–13:00
Suitable for any age

£2.00 adults/£1.50 concessions/£6.00 family (2A+3C)

Kit Hill is a mile or so north east of Callington, and maybe 12 miles from Pymouth (less from Tavistock or Liskeard).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: