Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Thylacine post 1936 sightings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
songhratiOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 86
PostPosted: 09-03-2007 11:14    Post subject: Thylacine post 1936 sightings Reply with quote

(This thread is, for the moment, just a conglomeration of old ones. Once I've gathered all the stuff from the forum, I'll look to start splitting again and merging between the two thylacine threads. It will take a while, but in the meantime the vast majority of our thylacine stuff will be in one or other of them. Stu)

I was chatting to an elderly Greek man yesterday and, in passing, he mentioned that he had once seen a Tasmanian Tiger in the early 1950s in Greece. He said that a Bulgarian circus passed through his Greek village and one of the animals in the circus was a strange dog-like animal with stripes across its back. At the time he didn't know what it was but thirty years later he was in Australia and saw the famous old footage of a thylacine and immediately recognised it as the animal he saw years before.

I guess it's not outside the realms of possibility that a Bulgarian circus acquiring either a pup or a perhaps a breeding couple in the 1920s or early 1930s and having one thylacine survive through to the early 1950s. I don't suppose anyone else has heard of stories like this?

Z
Mister_AwesomeOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 266
PostPosted: 10-03-2007 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting...
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2334
PostPosted: 26-06-2010 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 27-06-2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- A Bulgarian Circus? That's pretty far off for a Tassie Tiger.

And yet here I am WILLING them to have survived somewhere. Cool
gordonrutterOffline
The Indescribable Horror that is a
Total posts: 907
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 06:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:

And yet here I am WILLING them to have survived somewhere. Cool

But they were in zoos and circuses so why not a Bulgarian one. In my book Paranormal Newcastle I recount the story of a probable thylacine in Newcastle (pre 1936) which had escaped from a traveling circus.

Gordon
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 465
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 09:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note various crossovers between the two threads on this sub-forum, "Possible post 1936 Thylacine sighting” ,and “Cryptids held in zoos or collections”. lordmongrove mentions in the latter, the suggestion that the “Girt Dog of Ennerdale”, which wrought massive sheep-slaughter in the Lake District in 1810, might have been an escaped thylacine. Per the “Wiki” article on the Girt Dog: “Travelling circuses and menageries of the time were known to contain what were described as “tiger wolves” – a description that fits the thylacine perfectly.”

I gather that one of the many theorised candidates for the identity of the Beast of Gevaudan, is the thylacine. This strikes me as exceedingly unlikely, if only because of the dates concerned: Beast-of-Gevaudan events were in the 1760s, when if I have things rightly, Tasmania had been discovered, but not yet explored or settled by Europeans.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 09:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I gather that one of the many theorised candidates for the identity of the Beast of Gevaudan, is the thylacine. This strikes me as exceedingly unlikely,

Too right, identifying the medium dog sized thylacine (except on wikipedia, where they seem to reach 9ft, lion size) with these historical mystery beasts is very dubious. Thylacines just weren't that formidable, there's only one instance of an attack on a human, and that's not very convincing.

Quote:

And yet here I am WILLING them to have survived somewhere.

Who knows maybe the discovery of the century is chained up somewhere in the outskirts of Tirana, guarding a scrapyard full of old Trabants.

Last edited by oldrover on 29-06-2010 11:47; edited 3 times in total
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thylacines do appear to be a species which mightily engaged people's curiosity and affection, right from their discovery in Tasmania (very-late 18th century, if I have things correctly) -- with their seemingly immediately becoming valued as circus / menagerie / zoo specimens. It's a great pity that the species was, it seems, extremely reluctant to breed in captivity: had that not been so, the thylacine would very likely still be with us today, even if extinct in the wild.

I read on another Net site, "way back", about some alternative-history fiction work, in which thylacines become, in the 19th century, all the rage among the British upper crust; every nobleman worth his salt has a pet thylacine, or a whole pack of the beasts. If only...
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1017
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5, they are allmost certainly still around in Tasmania,parts of Australia and parts of New Guinea.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly like to hear the New Guinea evidence, I've heard a bit, dont they call it the Dobsina there? but haven't been able to find much.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
PostPosted: 28-06-2010 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordmongrove wrote:
Zilch5, they are allmost certainly still around in Tasmania,parts of Australia and parts of New Guinea.

I most certainly agree - from stories I've read by people living in the remoter parts of Tasmania.

Quote:
Who knows maybe the discovery of the century is chained up somewhere in the outskirts of Tirana, guarding a scrapyard full of old Trabants.

That'd be totally awesome! Laughing I'd like one each - Trabant and thylacine!

PS: I've for a long time suspected that the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service know a bit more than they are letting on. I just had a peek at their website - and guess what - they have listed the Thylacine as an "endangered" species. That's a bit odd considering that they are "presumes extinct"?

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=971
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-06-2010 05:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:

Quote:

Ridiculous and zoologically irrelevant nitpick -- originally in oldrover's post, it was "the outskirts of Sofia" (logical, re the Bulgarian circus) -- but the city postulated, has changed to Tirana, capital of Albania. ? (not that it matters -- I'll shut up.)
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5812
PostPosted: 29-06-2010 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've for a long time suspected that the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service know a bit more than they are letting on.

I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but as I posted on another thylacine thread, I suspect something odd is going on in Tasmania. The logging industry is extremely powerful and knows that the discovery of a living population of iconic cryptid like the thylacine would most likely shut down many, if not all, of its operations. I suspect the clamour to designate the whole island as a national park/safe retreat for the thyalcine would be so loud as to be irresistable. The parks and wildlife people are somewhat conflicted as they have a responsibility to the forestry industry as well as the animals living there.

A parks ranger insisted he had spotted thylacines a few years ago and gave a detailed, and convincing, description of what he had seen - only to recant the story at a later press conference, flanked by his superiors.

I'm pretty sure the thylacine is still out there.
titchOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1202
PostPosted: 29-06-2010 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember,perhaps in an arthur c clark strange spookiness book,that a park ranger had taken a picture of tassie tiger,am i correct, or is it my dodgy old mind?
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
PostPosted: 29-06-2010 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Quote:
I've for a long time suspected that the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service know a bit more than they are letting on.

I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but as I posted on another thylacine thread, I suspect something odd is going on in Tasmania. The logging industry is extremely powerful and knows that the discovery of a living population of iconic cryptid like the thylacine would most likely shut down many, if not all, of its operations. I suspect the clamour to designate the whole island as a national park/safe retreat for the thyalcine would be so loud as to be irresistable. The parks and wildlife people are somewhat conflicted as they have a responsibility to the forestry industry as well as the animals living there.

A parks ranger insisted he had spotted thylacines a few years ago and gave a detailed, and convincing, description of what he had seen - only to recant the story at a later press conference, flanked by his superiors.

I'm pretty sure the thylacine is still out there.

Totally agree with you there.

Re the most recent picture = wasn't that a German tourist?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: