Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Thylacine post 1936 sightings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2290
PostPosted: 03-12-2013 01:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to have anew favourite word. Or a phrase, such as 'looking forward to learning more about your recent expedition' for example.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5486
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 07:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordmongrove wrote:
'Fewmets' a new favourate word!

I'm surprised you hadn't come across it before, in your line of work.

Also, didn't know you were in the country. Then again, when this article was written, I was in Germany.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 951
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last orang-pendek expedition is covered in the new Animas and Men and i've sent it off to FT. The Tazzy wolf trip will be written up soon and also sent to FT.
WE INTERVIWED A NUMBEER OF IMPRESSIVE WITNESSES. THE BEST WAS A GOVERNMENT LICENCED SHOOT AND EXCELLENT NATURALIST / BUSHMAN. HE HAD SEEN THYLACINES TWICE IN 2008 AND 2010 (Bastard caps!). He had also met a forestary worker who saw one.
I was very impressed by just how empty Tasmania was, utter wilderness. The only empiter place i've been was Mongolia. There are less than half a million people there.
The scats were found off old overgrown logging roads. They looked too big for devil or quoll but i can rule out massive individuals of eaither.
On a happy note none of the devils we saw of caught on camera traps had facial tumours.
We intend to go back on a whole series of expeditions like we did in Sumatra.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

You know how I feel about the chances but I'll look forward to reading about it in the FT, I'll make sure I get that issue. As you say Tasmania is buggeringly empty, still though that doesn't offer me any hope in itself.

And yes what you say about capturing uninfected devils is very good to hear, which are was that in? I've heard that the disease has yet to hit the NW of the island.

Well done LM for getting down there and having a look whatever happens.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 00:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wewre up in the north west but we are keeping the exact area under wraps. Have you been to Taz? It really is an amazing place (with awful English type weather).
The shooter was a great bushman and only talked to us because we were serious researchers. Tony Healy, a veteran Australian cryptozoologist contacted him first. Like us he wants the exact area kept from the public. All the witneses we talked to commented on the strange gait of the hindquaters.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised that you must have been in the NW. I'm sure it is wonderful and I'd love to go but realistically it'll never happen.

One thing I would suggest to you is that next time your there if you're anywhere near Launceston pop to the nearby town of Westbury and check around if anyone recalls there being a tiger there in the mid to late thirties. You might just find the last thylacine.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers OR i might just do that. By the way we booked early and got flights for £600.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad is it, especially these days when flights are expensive. I remember flying over to Prague for the same price it cost me to get a taxi home from the pub on a Friday, now though different story.

Speaking of which I think there might be something in the Westbury story, as you've said zoo records aren't great and as much as people make of it today I don't know of any press mention of the death of the last Hobart animal until seven months later. There's also a record of a thylacine being for sale in that area very, very late on in the day. So who knows. It'd be a good shot in the arm if you did turn something up though.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-03-2014 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our guy in Copenhagen uni says the dung is Tazzy Devil (bloody big ones though). The guy in Melbourn s still testing.
I have an Australian friend who is over there for a few weeks in March. I'm looking to go back in Feb / March 2015 unless i get TV backing beforehand.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 01:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play, I'm sorry but not surprised at the results so far.

Has to be said though fair play for posting up a potentially negative result, my respect for the CFZ continues to grow.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across a supposed sighting from Southern Tasmania by a parks officer over on 'The Quest...' website. The sighting is said to have happened last year.

Personally I don't believe a word of it, but I think the poster is sensible enough. Anyway I thought I'd pass it on.

http://thylacoleo.proboards.com/thread/5211/dr-toms-day-off
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-03-2014 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the link and vote of confidence Old Rover. At the CFZ we are not on a holy crusade to make people belive in 'monsters', we just investigate mystery animals we think are wotth investigating with the Tazzy wolf and orang-pendek at the top of the list.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-03-2014 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmanian-tiger-tracker-mick-williams-returning-to-island-for-followup-mission/story-fnj4f7k1-1226855533557
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 15-03-2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordmongrove wrote:
At the CFZ we are not on a holy crusade to make people belive in 'monsters', we just investigate mystery animals we think are wotth investigating with the Tazzy wolf and orang-pendek at the top of the list.

Long may you guys continue. And for when you are no longer able, I hope a new generation will continue the work. Sometimes, with mysterious animals, and forteana in general, it's not about whether there's definitely something there. Only evidence can establish that. It's whether someone's willing to bet their own time and money and heart on the long shot, and considering how many shekels go towards the national lottery, the CFZ's work is eminent. If we all just accepted received wisdom and didn't question further, we'd still be waiting for the Great Spirit to give us the wheel.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-03-2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete
Its support like that that keeps us going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: