Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
large snakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-04-2002 18:54    Post subject: large snakes Reply with quote

The other day I saw a snake?Well thats not unusual,snakes are a common place item here,we cope with red belly blacks,taipans,western browns,bandi/bandis,black snakes and the usual tree snakes.I walk around with a length of chain attached to a wooden handle mainly for the taipans as they are so aggressive(here have this to play with).Getting back to the story this black snake 12 feet long (thats nearly 2 of me)as wide as the calf of my leg was lying near the back fence,talk about doing a Harold Holt (bolt).This is the biggest black snake Ive ever seen.My neighbour across the road has trouble with scrub pythons some as long as 30 feet attacking his chooks.Whats the biggest snake any one else has seen?????
SoundDust
Milkshake Holy Grail (Mediocre Old One)
PostPosted: 06-04-2002 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen large snakes but I once saw a grasshopper bigger than my foot in France (alp d'huez area). Bloody frightening when you nearly stand on it.........
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-04-2002 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cuddled a boa constrictor. Then it started trying to cuddle me, so I let it go pretty quickly!

Wasn't very big, but it was strong, and it had some massive mates with it. This was on a nature reserve up a tributary of the Amazon river.Smile
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 06-04-2002 19:13    Post subject: Re: large snakes Reply with quote

wildman wrote:

The other day I saw a snake?Well thats not unusual,snakes are a common place item here,we cope with red belly blacks,taipans,western browns,bandi/bandis,black snakes and the usual tree snakes.I walk around with a length of chain attached to a wooden handle mainly for the taipans as they are so aggressive(here have this to play with).Getting back to the story this black snake 12 feet long (thats nearly 2 of me)as wide as the calf of my leg was lying near the back fence,talk about doing a Harold Holt (bolt).This is the biggest black snake Ive ever seen.My neighbour across the road has trouble with scrub pythons some as long as 30 feet attacking his chooks.Whats the biggest snake any one else has seen?????

You do have interesting wild life in your garden mate, and here was me worrying about slugs.
LividBullseyeOffline
moomin hunter !
Total posts: 1554
PostPosted: 06-04-2002 19:59    Post subject: Grass snake Reply with quote

Seems a bit pathetic really but when Iwas a kid I saw a grass snake at least four and a half foot long,(was longer than me at the time,not far off now!) all the natural history books said the maximum length for grass snakes in England is three foot. Have never seen one anywhere near as big again.
SmirnoffMule
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 00:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handled a 15 foot python which is a foot and a half short of being three times my length. She was honest to god the most beautiful thing i have ever seen in my life.
tang-malow
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) one day with a garter snake in my garden, it was about 2 foot long and i know they arent poisonous but it was scarey anyways, i let him go after about 3 seconds.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 14:45    Post subject: My Record Reply with quote

Not very exciting but my dad found an adder in the summer of 87 that was 6 foot 2 inches. We contacted an old record book ( not guiness) and they woere going to include us in their next edition. THen some bugger in somerset found one 6 foot 5 inches and our 15 minites of fame were over. We have many pictures of the snake (dead) with me lying next to it. It was slightly longer than me. The snakes thrived where I used to live (near Machen Mountain) due to the Shelter the mountain offered. The snake was a nine year old female we fond in the road. The body was not badly damaged. A specilist at our nearest pet store examined it any found that it had been living in a nearby milking parlour, and as the mice were full of calcium from milk, the snake had absorbed it when it had eaten the mice. This accounted for it;s size. I
Glensheen'sGirl~Offline
There's just one true me.
Total posts: 209
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

tang-malow wrote:

I did a Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) one day with a garter snake in my garden, it was about 2 foot long and i know they arent poisonous but it was scarey anyways, i let him go after about 3 seconds.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but how does one do a Steve Irwin (I've never watched him)?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest snake I've ever seen: an albino anaconda in a travelling exhibit. It was almost flat from being so inactive. Sad.

Best snake story: stepped over a copperhead while hoeing corn. My grandfather killed it afterwards; I never even seen it until he pointed it out to me.

Second best story: timber rattlers used to sun themselves on our back porch, and our cats would kill them Rikki-tikki-tavi style. It was a blast to watch, I'm telling you! Smile Cats are psychos, but seeing that, you have to admire them.
beakboo1Offline
Latex RealBird
Total posts: 5143
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorgosPizza wrote:

timber rattlers used to sun themselves on our back porch, and our cats would kill them Rikki-tikki-tavi style. .

Rikki tikki whatti style?confused
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by beakboo
[B]Rikki tikki whatti style?confused

Here you go, Beakboo:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/usr/mongoose/www/rtt.html
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 881
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glensheen'sGirl wrote:

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but how does one do a Steve Irwin (I've never watched him)?

Sort of grab the snake behind the head and wrangle it into a bag fo release away from habitation. A lot less exciting than Mr Irwins crocadillian exploits, but worthy of note Smile Most snakes are quite approachable, as long as you don't upset them... lot like people really, except cobras, who in my experience, were born bad tempered

Great Steve Irwin moment - 'If this fella bites me, i'll be dead in four minutes, and I've been bitten twice before so the anti-toxin won't work, so I gotta be EXTRA CAREFUL!' all while the snake was striking at his head and missing by an inch or so...

8¬)
SmirnoffMule
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Phew! Woo! I'm sweating bullets here... You're a little beauty, aren't you? Ooh, aren't you naughty? Woo! That was a close one..." - Steve Irwin, in just about every episode.
I love that guy! Not watchng Crocodile Hunter five times every morning is the only thing I really miss about not having cable anymore. Sad I love his wife too, and I love the dog that just sits in the stern of the boat looking benign while he's diving off on top of crocodiles. Just to bring this thread back to a bit of cryptozoology, I believe he also discovered a new kind of turtle.
tang-malow
PostPosted: 07-04-2002 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slytherin, i believe it was a sea turtle that he discovered, he had a show on about it a while back. Steve is highly underrated for his conservation efforts that he always has and still does. Actually hes bringing out a new film this summer, watch out for it guys. Oh and his wifes name is Terry, shes nice and is actually American. I thought she was an aussy cos she has a kinda strange accent, its probably a result of living in Australia and being married to Steve.

My favourite Steve Irwin moment was when he was bitten on the hand by an aligator after petting it on the nose, he turns to the camera after it lets go and says "did you see that? amazing! it tried to rip me arm off" his hand was split wide open and required stitches but still he has no ill feelings towards the gator or what about the time he was out in the outback and spotted a small snake on the road that he didnt recognise then picks it up and starts playing with it, the snake takes a big bite out his hand and then he lets it go and gets out a big book on snakes to try and look it up to make sure it isnt poisonous, all the time hes giggling and saying how great the snake was lol, hes crazy

Also harlequin, i never grabbed the snake behind the neck. I think you can damage a snakes spine easily doing this and Steve recomended that you dont do that incase you hurt the snake. I held on to the snakes tail and let if go forward a wee bit then pulled it towards me gently, its almost as if the snake doesnt know your there and is wondering why its wriggling so fast and getting nowhere. I let it go pretty quickly tho as its still scarey even tho you know it isnt venomous, plus i didnt wanna hurt the wee guy.

Almost forgot, you guys like the new avatar Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: