Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The rich are different
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1407
PostPosted: 25-04-2010 01:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Super-rich become wealthier again, Sunday Times says

Perhaps it's the art investments that began the thread Laughing
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1295
PostPosted: 25-04-2010 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine's dad trained as a brickie with Trevor Hemmings, I don't know where he is in this years rich list, but he's just sold Blackpool Tower back to Blackpool council for £45 million. I have met him and if I didn't know how much he was worth I would not have realised it. He was really down to earth, still strong lancashire accent and had a genuine interest in people around him.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25743
PostPosted: 30-07-2010 08:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought Harrods for £1.5bn? Well, that's very nice sir... but we're still clamping you!
By Paul Harris
Last updated at 1:08 AM on 30th July 2010

Looking on the bright side, at least the owners won't have much trouble stumping up the parking fine.
But even when you've just bought Harrods for £1.5billion, and the cars are among the fastest and most exclusive in the world, getting them clamped is still a bit of an inconvenience.
The uniquely liveried supercars belong to the Qatari royal family, which bought the flagship store three months ago.

On the left is a Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce, worth £350,000. In front of it is a bespoke specification Koenigsegg CCXR, one of only six in the world and worth a staggering £1.2million.
Back home on the open highways and expressways around Qatar, either car could still fall victim to speed cameras (providing, that is, the cameras can register top speeds in excess of 200mph).

But anyone who has ever nipped into Harrods for a few minutes could have told them that the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea shows no mercy - or discrimination - towards parking regulation breaches in the cramped, crowded streets that surround it.

Hence, two large yellow triangles rather spoiled the sleek lines of the fabulously rare cars when clampers contracted by the council spotted them driverless and illegally parked. Within minutes, they made sure the cars were going nowhere fast.
That set in train the universally familiar hassle of paying a release fee (£70), coughing up a fine (between £40 and £120, with a reduction for prompt payers), and sorting out the paperwork.

Hopefully none of the wheels was damaged during the clamping operation - the Koenigsegg's are made of carbon-magnesium and cost £3,000 each. Nor was the driver obliged to hand over the key. A diamond encrusted option is available for £36,000.
Shoppers and tourists craned for a peek at the spectacle as it unfolded in the heart of Knightsbridge.

The council, which clamped 8,883 vehicles in the borough last year, declined to comment specifically on the case, as did Harrods.

The Koenigsegg is built to customer requirements, right down to body-contour matching seats. Potential CCXR buyers are flown to company HQ on an airbase in Sweden, where boss Christian Von Koenigsegg takes them for a spin.

Such is his confidence in the car's stability that he accelerates to 200mph and slams on the brakes - without putting his hands on the steering wheel.

The Qatar version of the car is said to produce more than 1,064bhp, does 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds and has a top speed of 249mph. Petrol consumption - of less concern in the oil rich Middle East than in SW1 - is around 14mpg.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298651/New-Harrods-owners-cars-worth-1-5m-CLAMPED.html#ixzz0v9SZLKh9
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 08-09-2010 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen's former banker fights to close Pilgrim's Way
An ex-banker to the Queen has urged a public inquiry to allow him to close part of Chaucer's Pilgrims Way that runs over his estate by telling inspectors they should remember they are not in Zimbabwe or Cuba or Scotland. Shocked
Published: 7:30AM BST 08 Sep 2010

Timothy Steel who is the former vice chairman of the Queens investment bankers Cazenove has become embroiled in a battle with villagers over the ancient paths across the woodlands in Kent near Adisham.

Yesterday he handed a dossier of evidence to the inspectors – including a letter which he wrote and sent to Adisham parish council.

In the letter he said villagers seemed to "view land ownership with a mixture of envy and contempt" and added that the attempts by locals to walk over private land "might have resonance in Zimbabwe, Cuba and possibly Scotland, but it is an anachronistic form of totalitarian thinking, which has been abandoned by most other former Communist regimes."

He also accused locals of a vendetta against him and said he would "not be bullied into allowing the right to roam at all times" over either his land – or that of his brother-in-law Lord Hawarden.

The inquiry opened last month with evidence from villagers and restarted with testimony from another local walker – Sir Geoffrey Nice QC – who was the war crimes prosecutor in the trial of Slobodan Milosevic at The Hague.

The inquiry is expected to close this week to decide the matter.

Villagers from Adisham had protested to Kent County Council after three paths used by walkers and horse riders were closed off by Mr Steel, who put up padlocked metal gates and barbed wire and signs ordering them to keep out.

Retired businessman and protest organiser David Leidig, 73, said: "I used to walk my dogs there almost every day, then suddenly there were gamekeepers driving around on quad bikes chasing people away."

The villagers appeal, which included more than 100 testimonies from people who had used the paths going back to 1927, was accepted by the council after an eight-year battle, and the council ordered the paths registered as public rights of way.

But despite the decision, the gates have remained in place and following an appeal by Mr Steel, the public inquiry was ordered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7986681/Queens-former-banker-fights-to-close-Pilgrims-Way.html
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 08-08-2011 07:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish duchess gives away fortune in order to marry civil servant
Spain's 18th Duchess of Alba overcomes disapproval of children and royal household by giving away her inheritance early
Stephen Burgen in Barcelona guardian.co.uk, Sunday 7 August 2011 16.25

She is one of the richest women in Spain, owns a dozen castles whose walls are hung with works by Goya, Velázquez and Titian and is a distant relative of King James II, Winston Churchill and Diana, Princess of Wales. Now, however, the 18th Duchess of Alba is giving away her immense personal fortune in order to be free to marry a minor civil servant.

According to Guinness World Records, Maria del Rosario Cayetana Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Francisca Fitz-James Stuart y de Silva, born in Madrid's Palacio de Lira, has more titles than any noble on earth, being a duchess seven times over, a countess 22 times and a marquesa 24. As head of the 539-year-old House of Alba, her privileges include not having to kneel before the pope and the right to ride on horseback into Seville cathedral.

But the children of the duchess, 85, have until now blocked her plans to marry Alfonso Díez, 24 years her junior. The duchess and Díez, a civil servant in the department of social security who also runs a PR business, have been close friends for a number of years.

Her six children who, as she likes to point out, are all divorced, were all borne from her first marriage to Pedro Luis Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, son of the Duke of Sotomayor, who died in 1972.

The duchess, who is rumoured to have undergone extensive cosmetic surgery, shocked the nation when in 1978 she remarried, this time to the former Jesuit priest and intellectual, Jesús Aguirre y Ortiz de Zárate. Aguirre, who died in 2001, was illegitimate, something scandalous even in 1970s Spain.

In 2008 it appeared that the proposed marriage to Díez had been called off when the House of Alba issued a statement saying that the relationship "was based on a long friendship and there are no plans to marry". The statement came after an alleged telephone call from King Juan Carlos discouraging the duchess from marrying Díez.

But whatever the king thinks it now appears the duchess is going ahead with the marriage, and the details have now emerged of how she plans to overcome her children's opposition: by giving them their inheritance in advance, even though Díez has signed a document renouncing any claim to her wealth. "Alfonso doesn't want anything. All he wants is me," she said earlier this year.

According to a report published in Spanish newspaper El País, her eldest son Carlos inherits the Liria Palace in Madrid and the Monterrey Palace in Salamanca, as well as overall control of the family fortune. Much of the patrimony is managed by a foundation and, in return for tax breaks, belongs by law to the nation and cannot be sold.

However, the duchess's personal wealth is estimated at between €600m and €3.5bn and she has been able to give her children and eight grandchildren a palace each, as well as a chunk of the thousands of acres of Spain that she owns. Her only daughter, Eugenia, inherits an estate in Ibiza and a further 600 acres near Seville.

The duchess insists she is not that wealthy. "I have a lot of artworks, but I can't eat them, can I?" she has protested. The art that she cannot eat includes, aside from hundreds of paintings, a first edition of Don Quixote, Columbus' first map of America and the last will and testament of Fernando the Catholic, father of Catherine of Aragon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/07/spain-duchess-marriage-fortune
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 06-10-2011 08:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain's Duchess of Alba remarries at 85 in Seville
[Video clip: The Duchess of Alba celebrated her wedding with an impromptu flamenco dance]

The Duchess of Alba, one of Spain's richest and most flamboyant women, has got married again at the age of 85 to a civil servant 24 years her junior.
The aristocrat married Alfonso Diez Carabantes at a palace in Seville, emerging to throw her wedding bouquet into the crowd and dance flamenco.
She wore a salmon-pink knee-length dress with moss-green sash.

Many Seville residents, however, supported the duchess's decision to marry for a third time.
"Age has nothing to do with it - as long as there is love, that's the most important thing," Seville resident Concepcion Arrincon told AFP news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15183584
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-01-2013 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lord, the Lady, her lover and the £17 m divorce
Lord Northampton has agreed to pay his wife £17 million after their 20-year marriage ended in divorce, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.
By Robert Mendick, Chief reporter
8:10AM GMT 20 Jan 2013

It was by far the longest lasting of his five marriages. And now easily the most expensive of his five divorces.

After an acrimonious, two-year legal battle, the 7th Marquess of Northampton has called a truce with his soon-to-be ex-wife. The divorce – prompted by Lady (Pamela) Northampton’s affair with a Romanian multi-millionaire – will cost him in the region of £17 million.
Lady Northampton, 61, will receive a £4 million apartment in Pimlico in central London as well as cash and possessions worth about £13 million.

But the vast majority of Lord Northampton’s fortune – put conservatively at £120 million and including two stately homes, tracts of land, valuable paintings and furniture and even a controversial Roman treasure hoard – will remain intact.

The decision to settle will spare the couple the £2 million cost of a two-week divorce trial, which was due to start in the High Court tomorrow . Both are now bound by confidentiality clauses that prevent them speaking about the failure of their 20-year marriage.

Lord Northampton’s solicitor, Simon Bruce of Farrer and Co, said yesterday: “We are pleased to confirm that the case has now been settled without the need for further court proceedings.
"Under the terms of the parties’ agreements there will be no further comment.”
A spokesman for Lady Northampton said: “She does not wish to make any comment at this time.”

The divorce had been a messy one. At a pretrial hearing in the summer, Lady Northampton’s lover was named as Dr Dan Stoicescu, who is said to be even wealthier than her husband.

The couple also became embroiled in a separate privacy action, now ended, over secret recordings of Lady Northampton’s phone conversations, discussing her private life with her 87-year-old father.
Bizarrely, the recordings were made by her stepmother, a hairdresser from Staines in Middlesex, and passed on to Lord Northampton.
Their contents prompted Lord Northampton, 66, to throw his wife out of their 84-room country estate at Compton Wynyates, Warwickshire.

Lady Northampton had demanded about £25 million and Lord Northampton had offered £15 million. It is reckoned, although unconfirmed, that she will in the end receive about £17 million – almost £1 million for every year of their marriage.

Lord Northampton, born Spencer Compton and known as “Spenny” to friends, is one of Britain’s most colourful aristocrats, once dubbed the “Mystic Marquess” for his fascination with Freemasonry and spirituality.

Dr Stoicescu, who lives beside Lake Geneva in Switzerland and made his money through a pharmaceutical business, describes himself as a “transhumanist”, convinced life can be “extended through nanotechnology and artificial intelligence”.
He became only the second person to have his genome mapped, at a cost of £220,000, and later paid for Lord and Lady Northampton to go through the process. He also gave Lord Northampton expensive gifts before embarking on an affair with his wife in about 2009.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/divorce/9813556/The-Lord-the-Lady-her-lover-and-the-17m-divorce.html
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10670
PostPosted: 20-01-2013 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand why he has to pay her £17m, when she was the one who had the affair... It's a wonder any man would want to get married...
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 27-01-2013 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billionaire Cecil Chao still offering 'a moderately deluxe life' to the man who can woo his daughter
Gigi Chao, 33, is in a civil partnership with another woman, but her father, one of the richest men in Hong Kong, insists his offer of a multi-million pound dowry still stands - as he shows off his own luxurious home.
By Cole Moreton
9:00PM GMT 26 Jan 2013

He made headlines around the world by offering £40 million to any man who could woo and marry his lesbian daughter. Now the Hong Kong billionaire Cecil Chao says that 33-year-old Gigi “can choose whatever she wants” – but the offer still stands.
“Anyone who comes along to pursue Gigi, we will give them a moderately deluxe life,” said the property developer yesterday in an interview with the Financial Times, ignoring the civil partnership his daughter has entered into with her long-term girlfriend.

The 76-year-old Mr Chao has his own unique approach to romance, once claiming to have slept with 10,000 women. Shocked
“I never counted, but it’s possible,” he told the FT on Saturday. “Every day you can date one, two, three or four women. I have many good friends. We share our life, not just limiting to one person. I like to live a free and happy life.”

Since offering his daughter’s hand to whoever could persuade her to take it, Mr Chao has received hundreds of proposals of marriage himself. He is unlikely to accept any of them. “Marriage is difficult, particularly under Hong Kong law. She can take a lot of your money away. It is safer not to be married,” he said, in words that may well be of interest to his daughter.

Gigi is one of his three children by three different women. She studied architecture in England like her father, and is an executive director of his luxury property development company Cheuk Nang, which has projects in Hong Kong, China, Macau and Malaysia. Ms Chao also runs a model agency and a PR company.

Father and daughter share a love of flying, as both are qualified helicopter pilots. It is believed that Mr Chao originally intended to hand over his business empire to Gigi, but will now prefer one of his two sons, unless she marries.

He gave a hint of what a “moderately deluxe life” means to an ultra-rich tycoon by opening the security gates of Happy Lodge, his waterfront mansion on the western shore of Hong Kong Island, to a reporter. Built on four levels, with a floorspace of 16,000 square feet, the house is worth hundreds of millions of Hong Kong dollars.

Any prospective son-in-law called in for a chat may find himself perched nervously on a gilded sofa in the enormous circular living room, with a glass wall that gives wide views of the sea in Sandy Bay. The room has a grand piano and a pair of striking modernist sculptures of women by Angel Botello, a contemporary of Picasso. etc...

Cecil Chao was born into relative poverty in Shanghai, but his father Chao Tsong-Yea became a shipping tycoon. After studying at Durham University, Mr Chao began to build his own property empire. His home is set within a development called Villa Cecil, which includes some of Hong Kong’s most desirable apartments.

He offered the multi-million pound dowry in September after a reporter from a gossip magazine told him Gigi had entered into a civil partnership with her girlfriend of seven years, Sean Yeung. “They called me to say my daughter had got married in Paris. I was shocked. Gigi is still young and beautiful. She has 70 per cent of her life to go,” he said.

Mr Chao said his offer was motivated by the desire for grandsons and daughters. “I would not force her to marry a man. But obviously I would, from my point of view, prefer her to be married and to have grandchildren.”

Back in October, Gigi Chao told the Daily Telegraph: “At first I was entertained by it, and then that entertainment turned into the realisation and conviction that I am a really lucky girl to have such a loving daddy, because it’s really sweet of him to do something like this. It’s not that he can’t accept me. It’s that he can’t accept how society would view me and the status that it would incur.”
She did not agree with him, but said she understood why he was doing it. Civil partnerships are not recognised in Hong Kong. However, after receiving nearly two thousand emails in a week, and hundreds of letters and phone calls from suitors all over the world, Ms Chao also asked her father to withdraw the offer, publicly. Without success, it seems.

The dowry is now the subject of a Hollywood film being developed by Sacha Baron Cohen, the creator of ‘Borat’, under the working title ‘The Lesbian’. Cool
Mr Chao has said he will co-operate - as long as the movie makes him look good. “I’d be pleased to help them, but make me a good person in the film,” he said.

Having inspired men from all over the world to contact him, Mr Chao has been less than enthusiastic about vetting the potential suitors, telling the South China Morning Post: “I looked up 100 of them and passed them to Gigi. I don’t have time to interview 20,000 of them.”

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/hongkong/9828911/Billionaire-Cecil-Chao-still-offering-a-moderately-deluxe-life-to-the-man-who-can-woo-his-daughter.html
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10670
PostPosted: 27-01-2013 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a hottie. I'd do it!
I'd also be happy for her girlfriend to um, be around. Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-12-2013 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethan Couch: Texas quadruple murderer – or a victim of ‘affluenza’?
Tim Walker Los Angeles
Friday 13 December 2013

A wealthy Texan teenager who mowed down and killed four pedestrians while driving drunk has been sentenced to 10 years’ probation at a private rehab centre, rather than 20 years in jail as prosecutors had demanded.

Critics of the lenient sentence are outraged not so much by the sentence itself, as by the defence’s apparently successful argument that 16-year-old Ethan Couch was a victim of “affluenza” – meaning his family is so wealthy, and he so entitled, that he believed his actions would have no consequences.

Psychologist Dr G Dick Miller testified that Couch, from Keller in Texas, had been raised in a household by indulgent parents who never established boundaries for his behaviour, giving him “freedoms no young person should have”. Dr Miller pointed to Couch’s parents’ decision not to punish him after he was found by police in a parked pick-up truck with an unconscious, undressed 14-year-old girl a year before the fatal accident.

Dr Miller recommended the boy undergo years of therapy away from his parents, as opposed to a prison sentence. Judge Jean Boyd, who presided over the case, agreed and ordered Couch to enrol in a private, $450,000-a-year rehabilitation centre in Newport Beach, California, for which his father will foot the bill. Speaking to the Associated Press, Florida psychologist Dr Gary Buffone described the defence’s claim of affluenza as “laughable”. He said, “Not only haven’t the parents set any consequences, but it’s being reinforced by the judge’s actions.”

Late on the evening of 15 June, Couch and his friends were caught on camera stealing two cases of beer from a Walmart store in Burleson, south of Fort Worth, before speeding off in his Ford F350 truck. Not long afterward, driving 70mph in a 40mph zone, Couch struck another SUV, which had stopped beside the road with flat tyre. The vehicle was owned by 24-year-old Breanna Mitchell, whom Hollie Boyles, 52, and her 21-year-old daughter Shelby had emerged from their home to help, along with youth pastor Brian Jennings, 41, who had been driving past. All four were thrown 60 yards in the air and killed on impact.

Couch’s own car flipped and hit a tree; none of its seven teenage passengers had been wearing seatbelts, and two were seriously injured in the collision, one of whom suffered a brain injury that left him unable to move or speak.

Couch was later found to have been three times over the legal drinking limit at the time of the accident. It was not his first alcohol-related run-in with the police. In February, he was caught with a can of beer and a bottle of vodka and cited for possessing and consuming alcohol as a minor.

Eric Boyles, who lost his wife Hollie and daughter Shelby in the accident, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, “Money always seems to keep [Couch] out of trouble.” Of the probation sentence, Mr Boyles added: “Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If [he] had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ethan-couch-texas-quadruple-murderer--or-a-victim-of-affluenza-9004308.html
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 14-12-2013 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

So punish the idiot to the full extent of the law and then prosecute his parents;
de-wig the judge and debar the lawyer for good measure.

They might all then regret employing and accepting such a f***wittedly insulting defence.

"I'm to wealthy to be punished."
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6063
PostPosted: 14-12-2013 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the US, normal there.

(And isn't this the country where they used to have horrifying reform schools for rich clients??? Do they still have them?)
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 14-12-2013 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The judge in this case is a woman named Jean Boyd and rehab is kind of her thing. She had pushed for the same thing for a 14 year old black teenager, but none of the court approved teen rehab programs would take him for some reason (too full? their policies prohibit them from taken people accused of manslaughter or murder?).

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/12/lenient_sentence_given_to_drunk_driving_teen_sparks_questions_about_handling.html

The program Ethan Couch will be attending will take anyone, apparently, if the price is right.

Not that the situation would have been different if it hadn't been Judge Jean Boyd, but Ethan Couch might at least have sentenced first before having it later appealed.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2991
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 03:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing four people while driving drunk is vehicular homicide, so you are being far too kind to The System in that speculation. The black kid didn't get rehab because he was a black kid, and not rich.

I live in a racist, classist society and I'm not afraid to say so. I'd fix it if I could; and when I get a chance to contribute to fixing some part of it, I do.

At least this particular judge is trying to be consistent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: