Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dream thread II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25920
PostPosted: 24-04-2011 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several vivid dreams last night, centred around boats and waterways. But at one time I was indoors somewhere as part of a big group of people. Someone I didn't know passed on a greeting or a message to me from R... M.... (someone I haven't seen or heard from in real life since the mid-80s).

I felt uncomfortable at this meeting, so I told my family (who weren't quite in the dream!) I would walk home, about two miles west. But all the geography was purely imaginary! And in fact I found myself walking east along a major waterway, which was bustling with all sorts of strange vessels. It was bright sunlight, with rich colours, and I was content to be there...

But when I woke, I couldn't help thinking about R... M.... - he was older than me, so if he's still alive he must be around 80 now. I decided to do a websearch. Most of the R... M....'s I found were history, and many were American (including a Professor of Law who popped up all over the place).

I tried an alternative spelling of the surname, and two of the first three results seemed to be 'my' R... M.... (There were photos of him, which could well be an aged version of the man I knew.) The second hit was a Plaxo page, which even gave an address and email, updated just last February! Now I have to decide whether to try to make contact...
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14974
PostPosted: 24-04-2011 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dreamt last night that I was adopted, and my real parents were actually Indian. Once I found this out, my skin began to darken. I've been wondering about an explanation for that all day.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10748
PostPosted: 24-04-2011 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
I dreamt last night that I was adopted, and my real parents were actually Indian. Once I found this out, my skin began to darken. I've been wondering about an explanation for that all day.

It might have been the curry you had the day before? Very Happy
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1427
PostPosted: 25-04-2011 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always suffered from recurring nightmares since I was a small child. I tended to have the same nightmare every week or so for up to a couple of years, then I have a break for a few months, and then get a new nightmare. As I've got older, the frequency has reduced, but I still get the same nightmare for a period of time. Now for the last couple of years I've dreamed of some ghost like thang in my room, so in my dream I've done the sensible thing and gone across the landing to my house mates bedroom to wake him up to save me. Last night I had the self same nightmare, only this time it all made sense. See, I moved into this house (IRL) about six months ago, haven't had a nightmare as such. But it's MY bedroom I'm in, and it's THIS landing I walk across, and it's THIS house mate, in HIS bedroom. Only last night, the dream went a little further down the narrative. Seems I've been dreaming about the house I'm in now, even before I had seen it.

Now I just have to dream of the lottery numbers.
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 26-04-2011 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe i'm admitting to this, but I woke up with a nightmare on Sunday night about the new Doctor Who baddies, the Silence... who look a bit like gray aliens in MIB suits but much worse.

In the nightmare one just came out of my wardrobe, then I wake up and I'm bricking it and normally i'd turn the lamp on but i'm sleeping facing the wall which means i'll have to roll over to turn the lamp on, and I just remembered that I did actually leave the wardrobe door open Shocked

Layed there bricking it for a while, then eventually did roll over and Eugene was curled up in the bottom of the wardrobe, so it was kind of Laughing after that. I guess I'd probably heard him and that got into the dream the way stuff does.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2993
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 04:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday night I dreamed I was a college student on a trip to Australia. I was going to be living with two other American girls and we all arrived at the house together; then two of us went out to do various college-related things and the third stayed. When we got back it was late, I was hungry, and I said we should make supper; but the third girl said we needed to eat out as she hadn't bought groceries. She also hadn't unpacked or made any arrangements for anything. This made me cross. If she hadn't been going to do anything useful, what did she stay for?

The other girls decided to go out to a place where I wouldn't be able to eat anything on the menu, so I nabbed the taxi driver who had brought us home and asked him to take me to a grocery store; then I saw one right down the street and said never mind, but he came in with me. I soon realized he was trying to pick me up, and I decided to let him think he was succeeding because I needed help negotiating this bizarre Australian store. I didn't know what all the food was, and it wasn't arranged in any way that made sense to me, and the labels were different so it was hard for me to find the sodium content. About the time I realized the cereal aisle was full of bugs and rats and I needed to find another store, I woke up.

At which point, I wondered: So, for dream purposes I was a college student, and I must not have been married because usually if I dream somebody's coming on to me I get very focused on making them understand how thoroughly married I am, so - WHY THE HECK COULDN'T MY SUBCONSCIOUS TAKE ME OFF THE STUPID LOW-SODIUM DIET?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10748
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeniG wrote:
At which point, I wondered: So, for dream purposes I was a college student, and I must not have been married because usually if I dream somebody's coming on to me I get very focused on making them understand how thoroughly married I am, so - WHY THE HECK COULDN'T MY SUBCONSCIOUS TAKE ME OFF THE STUPID LOW-SODIUM DIET?

That and the bugs and rats in the store was your subconscious warning you off, perhaps?

I don't normally remember my dreams, but on a few occasions where I have had dreams, I have dreamt that I needed to pee, and looked everywhere for a toilet. Always, any toilet I find in the dream is broken, unusable or downright horrible.
I think it's my subconscious telling me not to use the toilet, in case I wet the bed! Laughing
At that point, I usually wake up and have to go to the bathroom.

I don't get nightmares (AFAIK).
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching the classic Batman cartoon episode where Bruce Wayne realises he's in a dream because he cannot read the newspaper, reasoning later on that it's impossible to read in dreams. But I don't know if that's true, I've never read a book or anything major while in that state, but I can recognise words and sentences.

So can anyone else read in their dreams?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18792
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had dreams where there has been readable text, like a newspaper headline, but the words never make sense.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2993
PostPosted: 13-02-2012 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to read in dreams, but it's always very difficult - my eyes keep sliding off, and the words sometimes are nonsensical. If I do succeed in reading for a prolonged period, what generally happens is that I enter the text and it becomes images.

I presume that the common meme that it's impossible to read in dreams means that most people find it impossible, and those of us who can are a little unusual in the way our brains are wired. I, for example, read and write constantly, and have almost certainly got more brain synapses tied up in the interpretation of text than in other things I do less, like deal with numbers; so its not surprising my reading skills are better in dreams than most people.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 13-02-2012 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose it would be different for each person dreaming. I would say that for me, although I can read in dreams I don't often remember what the words said after I woke up.
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1427
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 04:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now you've got me thinking. (I'm having another of my nightmare periods, hence the ungodly posting hour Sad )

I've had dreams of places I recognise, one in particular involves a laundrette. I know the name of that laundrette as I used to pass it most weeks, but now I think about it, I'm not sure if I've read the name in my dream or just recognised symbols conveying the name. I know I've seen signs, billboards and the like in dreams, although I think there were letters on them, they have really just conveyed meanings too. For instance, one vivid sign is of about the right size of a real life sign that would say 'DEAD END', but in the dream the sign seemed to say, 'don't come down here, it goes nowhere and you'll just have to double back, which would be really annoying, so don't come down here'. Of course, in my dream, I walk down the track!
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18792
PostPosted: 14-02-2012 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your subconscious! Wink

I had a dream some years ago where people were playing on a frozen lake. Someone I knew well, whom I knew I should avoid, was there and called me over to skate with them.

I knew I shouldn't, because that would be to skate on thin ice, so I stayed on the bank.

But they fell through and I had to drag them out, sopping wet, and they begged me for my coat to warm them, and then my sweater, and my shirt, and I was left half-naked in the freezing cold in front of everyone... Embarassed

The message was clear: I needed to keep my distance. Any contact with this person was dangerous. I took heed. Wink
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1206
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another blog. Really interesting:

http://joemoransblog.blogspot.nl/2012/06/dreams-about-queen.html

Quote:
Dreams about the Queen
In 1972, 20 years after the Queen's accession to the throne, Brian Masters wrote a book called Dreams about H.M. the Queen. Masters wrote to everyone he knew and put adverts in newspapers, asking Her Majesty's subjects to send him summaries of the dreams about her that interrupted their sleep. As he describes it in his memoir, Getting Personal, 'the Queen was depicted driving a lorry up the M1, running a post-office, travelling with her family to the State Opening of Parliament on the Piccadilly Line, in full regalia and crown, because it was quicker than fighting one's way through traffic. [...]

Masters's own dream 'concerned my turning up for dinner at Buckingham Palace and noticing, as I sat down, that I had forgotten to put on any clothes at all. [...]
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 03-06-2012 03:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I dreamt of a man I didn't know, and I thought later on in time I saw him getting into a car outside a chicken outlet.
Last night I dreamt of him again. We were sitting in a loungeroom and he was singing.
Can't help wondering why I dream of someone I don't know. He gave off a lovely kind gentle vibe and is probably someone I'd relate to but we've never met.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: