Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 3564
PostPosted: 15-08-2007 10:25    Post subject: Avatars & Signatures Reply with quote

Please be reminded that the size limit for avatars is 80x80 pixels so anyone with a pic exceeding those dimensions, please re-size it - if that presents a problem, PM me for help Wink

Also, it would be considerate if text signatures could be re-sized using the 'small' tags as the more lengthy quotes can sometimes end up being longer than the actual posts themselves. I'm re-sizing sigs myself at the moment but if there are any problems, you'll receive a PM.
PostPosted: 15-08-2007 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you alter my personal profile settings again.

Request alterations and I will make them.
PostPosted: 15-08-2007 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo!

No reaction!

F*ck it then! MODs - please feel free to alter my profile as you see fit! Make me a 16 year old girl whom spends her time rubbing bits of rubberised cloth in a sunken well of teddy eels!

(An apology would have been nice!)
TheQuixoteOffline
Total posts: 3299
PostPosted: 15-08-2007 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frobush wrote:

F*ck it then! MODs - please feel free to alter my profile as you see fit! Make me a 16 year old girl whom spends her time rubbing bits of rubberised cloth in a sunken well of teddy eels!

Nice imagery...

Frobush: we only alter peoples' profiles if there is an issue with either an avatar or sig - as far as telling us not to alter your profile again, well I'm sorry but if you upload anything that we feel necessary to remove or change (for whatever reason, be it an oversize avatar or a signature), then yes, we will do it.

In this case, an announcement was made rather than going through the process of sending multiple pm's (which would have taken a great deal of time).

If you still have an issue with this, then I can only suggest that you take it up with Alistair.
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheQuixote wrote:
...as far as telling us not to alter your profile again, well I'm sorry but if you upload anything that we feel necessary to remove or change (for whatever reason, be it an oversize avatar or a signature), then yes, we will do it.

In this case, an announcement was made rather than going through the process of sending multiple pm's (which would have taken a great deal of time).

You make it sound like my sig and avatar broke the rules and needed altering!

Well, altering what seems to me to be hundreds of sigs is much more trouble than not altering any of them. And certainly more hassle than sending a simple PM. What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

And having three lines of text is hardly breaking anybodies eyeballs. And I think people have the option of switching off all the sigs and avatars - though that might be just wishful thinking on my part - my confused vision feasting upon times gone by and drooling over an actual working board with useful features. (You know things are bad when you have to 'block copy' your post before posting because it'll probably get lost in the post and you'll have to re-post or, worse, re-type your post.)

I wouldn't trouble Ali with something so trivial (even smaller when edited by the MODs) as this (the altering of my profile). It is true that some people do over-do the sigs (MODs too!) - but I have NEVER EVER had a problem with 'this'. And having to go in and physically change URLs in people's posts, for whatever reason, must just be a real time wasting pain (and still they post pics too big).

Anyway. If you want something altering in my 'profile' then ask and we'll discuss. You can, of course, technically do whatever you want. I'm just letting you know that you can't.

And you're no fun anymore! Shocked
WhistlingJackOffline
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frobush wrote:

If I need to, I will.

Quote:

If you read the original post, you'll see I did request that members make the necessary adjustments themselves (and I offered help if needed) - or would you rather I'd PM'd every member to ask if they wouldn't mind not having needlessly-large avatars and signatures? Sorry, that's both impractical with regard to the number of PMs needed (and those which would go unanswered as some members haven't been on the boards for years) and unfair to those who consent, when others have no intention of doing so.

Quote:
What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

A similar situation precipitated this whole thing. In that particular case, after it proved impossible to reduce the size of the text for the reason you outlined, a PM was sent and a reply is awaited - if none is forthcoming, I suppose the sig will be removed.

Quote:
And having three lines of text is hardly stretching anyone's eyeballs.

I agree - six lines of full-sized text is probably too much, however (consider if an image sig took up the equivalent amount of room). As things are, if I come across any sigs which can be reasonably reduced, I'll continue to do so.

Quote:
It is true that some people do over-do the sigs (MODs too!)

I know they do and I've only ever attempted to be fair and even-handed about this.
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhistlingJack wrote:
Frobush wrote:

If I need to, I will.

Well you didn't need to and you did. I've been offline for nearly a week and hadn't seen your request.

Justify your changes to my profile (I've changed them back to what they were) and I'll let you off the hook.

Quote:

WhistlingJack wrote:
If you read the original post, you'll see I did request that members make the necessary adjustments themselves (and I offered help if needed) - or would you rather I'd PM'd every member to ask if they wouldn't mind not having needlessly-large avatars and signatures? Sorry, that's both impractical with regard to the number of PMs needed (and those which would go unanswered as some members haven't been on the boards for years) and unfair to those who consent, when others have no intention of doing so.

This has NEVER EVER been a issue before. Like the new job do you?

Quote:
What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

WhistlingJack wrote:
A similar situation precipitated this whole thing. In that particular case, after it proved impossible to reduce the size of the text for the reason you outlined, a PM was sent and a reply is awaited - if none is forthcoming, I suppose the sig will be removed.

Fair enough. I'm not previliged with that kind of information.

Quote:
And having three lines of text is hardly stretching anyone's eyeballs.

WhistlingJack wrote:
I agree - six lines of full-sized text is probably too much, however (consider if an image sig took up the equivalent amount of room). As things are, if I come across any sigs which can be reasonably reduced, I'll continue to do so.

Again. You are making out that I've been a bad boy! And that isn't the case! And you make it sound like such an important part of your job! Don't waste your time. Sorry - I find petty attitudes tickle me! But carry on. Make the world a better place!

And I said three lines of text and not the 21 lines you misquoted me as saying.

Look. This is so silly. Do whatever you want. Have fun. I'm busy. I love you all.

Last edited by Guest on 16-08-2007 12:41; edited 1 time in total
WhistlingJackOffline
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll attempt to explain this as clearly as I possibly can: -

In spite of there being a clearly-stated 80x80 pixel limit for avatars, some members are disregarding it, whether deliberately or accidentally. I don't really want to mess about with people's offline links in profiles unless I have to, so I reminded people of the permitted dimensions and requested that they be kept to.

There doesn't seem to be a clearly-defined limit for signatures but outsized image sigs have been reduced in the past and it's clear that some sigs are ridiculously big when in full-size text. In an effort to be fair and even-handed, all text sigs are being reduced as and when I come across them.

Frobush wrote:

What?
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhistlingJack wrote:
I'll attempt to explain this as clearly as I possibly can: -

In spite of there being a clearly-stated 80x80 pixel limit for avatars, some members are disregarding it, whether deliberately or accidentally. I don't really want to mess about with people's offline links in profiles unless I have to, so I reminded people of the permitted dimensions and requested that they be kept to.

Don't you dare patronise me. Once again you lot are implying that I have broken the board rules. My avatar is well within the size limits - it was a pain for me to do and required quite a considerable amount for my time and effort to do. But did it I did. Because I felt it was worth it at the time. Now I'm not so sure.

WhistlingJack wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a clearly-defined limit for signatures but outsized image sigs have been reduced in the past and it's clear that some sigs are ridiculously big when in full-size text. In an effort to be fair and even-handed, all text sigs are being reduced as and when I come across them.

Once again. Implying that I have broken some rule. And I haven't.

Frobush wrote:

WhistlingJack wrote:
What?

Pardon?

It was a joke. I said 3. You mis-quoted 6 (we could argue all day over whether a space is text or not) so, just for fun, I mis-quoted you in return. You can change my text and put extra words into my mouth! What fun you must be having!

Justify your changes to my profile and I will let you off the hook.

And stop wasting your time on me mate. Pick on someone other than me - 'cos I just might be insane enough to not hold back.

Peace! Very Happy
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me I'm about to get another warning for flamming.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13575
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a room, you two. Rolling Eyes
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you offering? (If so, how much for a single - and I expect room service at all hours! And NO GOLF CLUBS!)
GemakiOffline
Total posts: 485
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... this just goes on and on and on. Absolutely ridiculous.
ted_bloody_maulOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 4592
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of Derek Smalls, what's an 'avatar'?
GemakiOffline
Total posts: 485
PostPosted: 16-08-2007 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avatar:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4t9ngh5.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: