Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Tech Help - the sequel
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10508
PostPosted: 26-10-2007 07:23    Post subject: Tech Help - the sequel Reply with quote

For all your day-to-day technological queries and quandaries... God I'm channelling Robert Robinson

To share jolly good programs and freeware and such, head on over to Useful Apps.
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 4023
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bumping a very old and lonely thread, but hopefully it won't mind - I only want to be friends with it.

My problem is this - having had a problem with an old PC (which is, to all intents and purposes an ex-PC), have invested in a new machine. Old machine had CD-writer and Nero (not sure what version). New machine has DVD-writer - woo-hoo! - but no burning software that I can see.

So can anyone help - does a Windows XP machine come with some suitable software pre-installed, or will I need to (gasp!) spend some money? Nero 8 is 50 Euros, which is out of the question!

Ideally, I'd like some free software that enables drag-and-drop copying of files to CD or DVD, but I'm open to offers.
ArthurASCIIOffline
Hello Playmates
Total posts: 2894
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out CD Burner XP.
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1940
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win XP comes with it's basic built in CD burning utility - However with that alone it cannot burn DVDs only CDs - You'll need Nero or similar to burn to DVD
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 4023
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being dim, Rrose, but where's that utility to be found? I had a mooch around the XP menu, but wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for. At the moment, I've got no further than having files on a CD which, according to my computer, are still waiting to be transferred to my disc, even though they're on it, if you follow me (and I'm not sure I follow myself!), which has me confused!

As it happens, I would expect that most of the data will still go to CD rather than DVD, but now someone has told me that DVD-Rs have the facility for the simple "drap-and-drop" capability that I'm hoping for. Is this true?
ArthurASCIIOffline
Hello Playmates
Total posts: 2894
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free CD/DVD burner I mentioned earlier has a "drag and drop" facility...
Quote:
Dropbox: is a cool feature whereby you can drap and drop files to a floating “drop box” (see screenshot on the right). I am a sucker for cool features like this one.

review etc here
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1940
PostPosted: 22-01-2008 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripart wrote:
Sorry for being dim, Rrose, but where's that utility to be found? I had a mooch around the XP menu, but wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for. At the moment, I've got no further than having files on a CD which, according to my computer, are still waiting to be transferred to my disc, even though they're on it, if you follow me (and I'm not sure I follow myself!), which has me confused!

As it happens, I would expect that most of the data will still go to CD rather than DVD, but now someone has told me that DVD-Rs have the facility for the simple "drap-and-drop" capability that I'm hoping for. Is this true?

See these liks should help:
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/CDXP/

http://dallas.tamu.edu/e-learn/WinXP-CD_Burn.html

-
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 10-03-2008 07:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slight problem with Firefox. It still works, but emblazoned over the top left-hand corner is a large pop-up reading:
Quote:
XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 1, Column 1:

..and that's it. No minimise or "X" buttons, it stays obstinately on top. As I said, FF still works, but this box obscures all the top menu buttons and most of the All-In-One sidebar, making navigation tricky. When I exit FF the box remains (have to go into task manager to kill it.)

Any ideas?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 10-03-2008 08:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
I've got a slight problem with Firefox. It still works, but emblazoned over the top left-hand corner is a large pop-up reading:
Quote:
Line Number 1, Column 1:

..and that's it. No minimise or "X" buttons, it stays obstinately on top. As I said, FF still works, but this box obscures all the top menu buttons and most of the All-In-One sidebar, making navigation tricky. When I exit FF the box remains (have to go into task manager to kill it.)

Any ideas?

Save a copy of your personal bookmarks.html, from your Profile (wherever it's hidden, these days) and re-install the latest version?
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 4298
PostPosted: 10-03-2008 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can thoroughly recommend FEBE for backing up FF bookmarks, Stu.

As for your other problem - what build are you using?
CygnusRexOffline
Incubus
Total posts: 1778
PostPosted: 11-03-2008 08:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
Quote:
Line Number 1, Column 1:

Any ideas?

Its most likely one of your extensions causing the problem, restart FF in safe-mode (the FF option, not Windows safe-mode) and enable your extensions one at a time, to see which one is dodgy.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 11-03-2008 08:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

CygnusRex wrote:

Its most likely one of your extensions causing the problem, restart FF in safe-mode (the FF option, not Windows safe-mode) and enable your extensions one at a time, to see which one is dodgy.

Best advice, yet. Smile
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 11-03-2008 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and sure enough, it did the trick. Thanks, swan Smile.

And thanks to Jack for pointing out FEBE as well. What a boon!
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2241
PostPosted: 11-03-2008 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm being a tad thick here....

To backup bookmarks, you just click "Bookmarks", "Organise Bookmarks", "File", "Export" then browse to wherever ya like, a USB memory stick in my case, then click "Save".

At least, that's what I do....am I missing something?
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 4298
PostPosted: 12-03-2008 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with FEBE is that you can configure it to back-up everything - extensions, themes and bookmarks - automatically, so it's a godsend to the lazy FF user Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: