Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Tech Help - the sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 30-10-2011 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

New soundcard? Or, run accessories - system tools - system info and have a look see precisely what sort and chip sound card might be. There might also be allocation conflict. It's possible the soundcard is just plain kapot, of course. Sad

Also, have a check in the control panel - system - device management and see what's installed and whether there's any warning signalled. It could be the PCI , or Plug & Play drivers, too.

Download a copy of the latest stable Knoppix distribution (6,x,x) burn it to a CD and run it, it should find most everything on your computer and install the appropriate drives. If your soundcard is working, it should run fine under Knoppix. Then you'll know its the Windows install.

http://www.knoppix.org/

A brilliant rescue disc and an excellent OS that works on just about anything.

I'm reckoning you might need the right pci drivers. The AMI board might use non-standard chips and drivers. Some pcs and laptops come with the right drivers installed, but they're not on the OEM disc.

Good luck.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10507
PostPosted: 30-10-2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! Didn't think of linux.. will reinstall Hydrant and see what happens..

Watch this space Smile.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10469
PostPosted: 30-10-2011 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion about Knoppix, PM.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to replace the battery on my Toshiba laptop (A tough little Satellite U200-115). I always try to buy the manufacturers own product with this kind of thing - but I can't help wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot, and the bank balance.

Are refurbs and non-branded batteries as good as the manufacturers own? Any recommended providers or tips about what to look for?
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6218
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturers have, I think, been forced to give up some of the restrictive clauses in their guarantees which were designed to prevent users sourcing generic replacements for memory, batteries and consumables such as toner cartridges.

The initial purchase price of some kit is kept to near-cost so that branded consumables will harvest rewards later. Shocked at the cost of an official (Lexmark - notorious for it) toner - it was half as much again as the printer's initial cost - I found a long-life compatible alternative that worked perfectly for less than a quarter that, with no requirement to return the original cartridge.

I could have saved more by simply refilling and chipping the original toner - a kit for which is confidently guaranteed by several businesses online. So I suppose I took the middle course.

I think if you use reliable suppliers who guarantee their compatibles and have a reputation to uphold, you will save a bundle by not sticking to the brand. Smile

Unless, of course, batteries are an entirely different case.
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 4298
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an external hard-drive (Seagate Expansion, 1TB), never used excessively (weekly back-up, disconnected when not in use), which now won't boot. My first thought is to try and get a replacement adaptor and USB cable, but, if it came to it, would I be able to remove the drive from its casing and mount it in a caddy to access my files?
Mal_ContentOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 801
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

WJ - depends on what the problem is with the hard drive.
If it is mechanical problem then it won't work whatever caddy you use.
you may be able to get a professional to retrieve the data.
if there's a problem with a boot sector then possibly you may be able to run some sort of prog that'll fix it where it is already.
it there's a problem with the connection between the hard drive and the PC then a new caddy might fix it.
--

is there any way you can run some sort of diagnostic s/ware to check the hard drive from yr PC ?
WhistlingJackOffline
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it, it's not showing as a separate drive on my PC Confused

EDIT: Fortunately, it seems that my particular model of HD is still available, so I can buy another and swap the adaptor and USB cable: if that doesn't work, I can cannibalise the new one and try and get the old one working.

The data's there, it's just a question of getting at it.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of a situation where a drive that doesn't get much use won't boot because the actuator arm is locked in place.
You could try removing the drive and gently giving it a shake in the direction of travel, then reconnecting it.
After the PC boots, if the drive doesn't start, try doing a warm reboot with the Reset button. Try the Reset a few times.

If that doesn't work, it could be the controller board.
WhistlingJackOffline
PostPosted: 26-03-2012 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Myth - I'll give the shake a try.

Encouragingly, it seems there's more than one possible solution out there so hopefully something will work.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 26-03-2012 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a gentle shake, mind - we don't want the 'click of doom' to occur.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25295
PostPosted: 20-08-2012 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I find I can't upload stuff to photobucket. Help pages suggested I needed to install a Java update, which I've done, but still no joy.

Anyone else got problems (or solutions)?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25295
PostPosted: 21-08-2012 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Today I find I can't upload stuff to photobucket. Help pages suggested I needed to install a Java update, which I've done, but still no joy.

Anyone else got problems (or solutions)?

I thought I'd try one more time before emailing their helpline. Checking my photobucket profile I saw a message that my email addy did not match the one I'd registered under (although the two differ by only one digit!). So I changed that, waited for an email from them and clicked the link there, and now all seems to be well! Very Happy
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10507
PostPosted: 02-11-2012 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got a pernicious problem. Some fool installed SweetIM (yes, I know) on one of our laptops, and now it's unkillable. Tried straight uninstall, tried malwarebytes, tried spybot (which found it alright, but won't let me kill it, saying I'm not administrator on this machine, although I am) - tried restarting in safe mode, to get to admin, but after usual command spiel it gets as as far as oversized arrow cursor on black background... and then seems to restart itself into normal mode. Even tried restore back to day before it was installed.. but there it still is.

Wouldn't mind but SweetIM has entwined itself everywhere, now inhibiting browser performance.

Any help gratefully accepted. Running Vista, all patches up to date and with Avast AV and Comodo firewall.
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 627
PostPosted: 02-11-2012 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

with spybot you have to rightclick the icon and choose run as administrator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: