Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ig Nobel Awards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 02:12    Post subject: Ig Nobel Awards 2002 Reply with quote

The Ig Nobel 2002 Award ceremony was held yesterday (Thurs 03.10.02). Their site is here. Newsweek reported on the ceremony:

'The definitive study on bellybutton lint, a dog-to-person translation device and an inquiry into what arouses ostriches were recognized Thursday with Ig Nobel prizes for dubious contributions to science and cocktail-party conversations everywhere...

...British scientists were honored for research that found that ostriches become more amorous with each other when a human is around. In fact, ostriches eventually start putting the moves on humans.

In economics, the executives and auditors at Enron, WorldCom, Arthur Andersen and a host of other companies were commended by the Ig Nobel committee “for adapting the mathematical concept of imaginary numbers for use in the business world.” '
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 08:23    Post subject: Re: Ig Nobel Awards 2002 Reply with quote

Wastrel wrote:

...British scientists were honored for research that found that ostriches become more amorous with each other when a human is around. In fact, ostriches eventually start putting the moves on humans.

But if there weren't any humans around, how would they be observing how amorous the ostritches were being? Very Happy
CygnusRexOffline
Incubus
Total posts: 532
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 09:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could cruise this site for hours, sheer brilliance
dot23Offline
Osirian X
Total posts: 1096
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 16:09    Post subject: IgNobel prizes and the Periodic Table Reply with quote

This years IgNobel prizes contain a couple of corkers, my particular favourite being a guy who built a Periodic Table. Yes that's right a table contaning samples of 207 (and counting) elements - with different wooden tiles to indicate whether something is an earth metal or a noble gas. This guy is nuts - in the full on obsessive kind of way, but I can't help but admire his tenacity.

Other marvels: A dog-japanese dictionary and a pet washing machine.

Details of the prizes are on our very own home page (in the news section) or here.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 16:58    Post subject: Re: Ig Nobel Awards 2002 Reply with quote

Wastrel wrote:

a dog-to-person translation device

I have got to get one of those.
Spookyangel
Anonymous lurker
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd want to know what dogs think. Every one that gets near me either wants to bite me or lick me to death. Dead / drunk
There was an episode of Eerie Indiana where a boy had a "retainer" which helped him to hear dogs thoughts. lol Very Happy

That thing about the lint in the belly button reminds me of something they said on the radio this morning about hoew fluff always ends up in there. Now, I have an "inny" so if fluff was going to get in there, it could quite easily, but I've never had any. Anyone else?
Can't believe I asked that question... Surprised

Last edited by Spookyangel on 04-10-2002 17:52; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could havesworn there were only 109 elements on my table at school...
Anywho; where did he get the plutonium from?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

wel i found it intersting...more interesting than the peeling brown chart the chemistry teacher pointed at anyway.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverurie Jones wrote:

I could havesworn there were only 109 elements on my table at school...
Anywho; where did he get the plutonium from?

IJ, here's a really current PTE at this site.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is now the proud owner of a radioactive, poisonous and explosive coffee table.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-10-2002 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says there are 25 elements he still needs samples of, plutonium is one of them. Most of the radioactive ones (or all) he does not have, nor does he have arsenic, etc.
mrchopper
PostPosted: 06-10-2002 03:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best nominee has to be the flash clock which shows a guy writing the time with a pencil. im sure i have a link to it somewhere.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8591
PostPosted: 06-10-2002 06:28    Post subject: Back to the wooden PTE Reply with quote

My fave section is this one: seriously! Make your own heavy water, burn some lithium: this bloke's great value all round.

Perhaps we should introduce him to the Time Cube chap Smile. Never know, may bring about armageddon after all....
avondrowOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 42
PostPosted: 11-10-2002 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was particularly impressed with the paper on exponential decay of beer froth. The calculus seems to check out, but I note that the experimental data was only taken from lagers. What about real ale? Surely further work is called for here - where can I apply for a grant?Very Happy
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-10-2003 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's Igs:

The complete list of winners:

Engineering: To John Paul Stapp, Edward A. Murphy, Jr (both posthumous) and George Nichols giving birth in 1949 to Murphy's Law, the basic engineering principle that "If anything can go wrong, it will".

Physics: The Australian team that produced a report on An Analysis Of The Forces Required To Drag Sheep Over Various Surfaces.

Psychology: The Italian and US researchers for their report: Politicians' Uniquely Simple Personalities.

Chemistry: A Japanese researcher who investigated why a bronze statue in the city of Kanazawa did not attract pigeons.

Literature: John Trinkaus for a collection of studies including one that contained data on the percentage of young people who wore baseball caps with the peak facing to the rear rather than to the front.

Economics: Karl Schwarzler and the nation of Liechtenstein for making it possible to rent the entire country for corporate conventions, weddings, bar mitzvahs, and other gatherings.

Interdisciplinary research: A Stockholm University team for its report: Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans.

Biology: CW Moeliker from the Netherlands for documenting the first scientifically recorded case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck.

Peace: Lal Bihari, of Uttar Pradesh, India, for his campaign to prove he is alive.

Medicine: The University College London team for showing the hippocampus of taxi drivers is bigger than in the general population.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3161694.stm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: