Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Canoeist missing for five years turns up alive
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1973
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 12:40    Post subject: Canoeist missing for five years turns up alive Reply with quote

From Reuters (UK)

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - A canoeist who went missing, presumed drowned, off the Cleveland coast five years ago has turned up alive and well at a London police station, officers said on Monday.

John Darwin was reported missing in March 2002 after he failed to appear at work, and the shattered remains of his red canoe were later found washed up on a beach near Hartlepool, Cleveland.

Despite extensive searches for the former prison officer, involving aircraft, lifeboats and a Royal Navy ship, no trace was found of him.

On Saturday, Darwin, who is in his 50s and married with two children, turned up at West End Central police station in London. Mystery surrounds his disappearance.

"It is not known at this time where he has spent the last five-and-half years," a police spokesman said.

Darwin has been identified by his family.

http://tinyurl.com/yppyan
mrpoulticeOffline
Wandering the fens..looking at the moon
Total posts: 333
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further developments make for interesting reading.
BBC News reports that he has no memory and arrived at the police station, stating 'I think I am a missing person.'

Mr P
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13641
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suspicious. More likely, he never got into the canoe in the first place and planned his diappearance for some reason.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13082
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Reginald Perrin ploy, eh? If that's so, his new life can't have worked out too well. If he really is amnesiac then that's even more bizarre.
mrpoulticeOffline
Wandering the fens..looking at the moon
Total posts: 333
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last Updated: Monday, 3 December 2007, 15:58 GMT

'Missing canoeist' has no memory

John Darwin's disappearance left his family 'in limbo'
A canoeist who walked into a police station five years after going missing has no memory of what happened, police have said.
John Darwin was presumed dead after the remains of his canoe were found washed up on a beach in Seaton Carew, near Hartlepool, Teesside, in March 2002.

A search at the time failed to locate Mr Darwin, then 51, who walked in to the station in London on Saturday.

Mr Darwin's 90-year-old father Ronald said it was "wonderful news".

Cleveland Police said officers were due to speak to him later.

A force spokeswoman said: "We are pleased that Mr Darwin has been located safe and well.

I always knew John wouldn't do anything stupid

Ronald Darwin, father

"This has been a long-running inquiry on behalf of the force and officers from Hartlepool hope to speak to Mr Darwin later to establish what has happened over the past five years.

"The family have been informed. We have no account of what has happened in the last five years. He walked into a police station and said 'I think I am a missing person.'

"The guy cannot remember anything about what has happened or why he has come forward.

"He has no memory at all. He has obviously been somewhere for the last five years and a lot of questions need answering."

No signs of illness

Mr Darwin's 90-year-old father Ronald, who lives in Blackhall, near Hartlepool, said: "It's wonderful. Thank the Lord.

"I always knew John wouldn't do anything stupid. He has always been a sensible sort of fellow."

Rescuers recall search

Mr Darwin was examined shortly after speaking to police in London and showed no signs of illness.

He left the station with his two sons who live in Hampshire and Berkshire.

Mr Darwin's disappearance sparked agony for his family.

At the time of his disappearance he was working as a prison officer and the alarm was raised when he failed to arrive for a night shift.

'Difficult to grieve'

His wife Anne, a doctor's receptionist, said six months after her husband vanished: "People die, have a funeral, they have a headstone, there is something to mark the fact they existed on this earth.

"But without a body, I don't know how we can mark John's life.

"All I want is to bury his body. It would enable me to move on. It's difficult to grieve without bringing things to a close, but as it is I'm in limbo and there's nothing I can do."

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said Mr Darwin was not held in custody.

He said the Met would not be playing any further role in the investigation as Cleveland Police opened the original missing persons inquiry.

If he has wandered back from some 5 year fuge then it really is amazing.
It raises all sorts of Fortean related questions about all the other cases who are chalked off as "dead" leaving the relatives without a body to bury.

But watching the video on the BBC NEWS PAGE about the search & rescue effort after he went missing in 2002. If it was a planned flit, then a heck of a lot of people and emergency services put a lot of time, effort and money in to looking for him Hmph
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 7407
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If he has wandered back from some 5 year fuge then it really is amazing.

he obviously has some memory, even if it's only implicit, for him to go into the police station and say he thought he was a missing person...
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9664
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on the radio that there was a further strange occurrence - his wife has recently gone missing...
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 21:22    Post subject: Missing man shows up alive Reply with quote

Quote:

'Missing canoeist' has no memory

John Darwin

Footage of the search
A canoeist who walked into a police station five years after going missing has no memory of what happened, police have said.

John Darwin was presumed dead after the remains of his canoe were found washed up on a beach in Seaton Carew, near Hartlepool, Teesside, in March 2002.

A search at the time failed to locate Mr Darwin, then 51, who walked in to the station in London on Saturday.

Mr Darwin's 90-year-old father Ronald said it was "wonderful news".

Cleveland Police said officers were due to speak to him later.

A force spokeswoman said: "We are pleased that Mr Darwin has been located safe and well.

Ronald Darwin
I always knew John wouldn't do anything stupid
Ronald Darwin, father

"This has been a long-running inquiry on behalf of the force and officers from Hartlepool hope to speak to Mr Darwin later to establish what has happened over the past five years.

"The family have been informed. We have no account of what has happened in the last five years. He walked into a police station and said 'I think I am a missing person.'

"The guy cannot remember anything about what has happened or why he has come forward.

"He has no memory at all. He has obviously been somewhere for the last five years and a lot of questions need answering."

No signs of illness

Mr Darwin's 90-year-old father Ronald, who lives in Blackhall, near Hartlepool, said: "It's wonderful. Thank the Lord.

"I always knew John wouldn't do anything stupid. He has always been a sensible sort of fellow."

Search for missing canoeist John Darwin

Rescuers recall search

Mr Darwin was examined shortly after speaking to police in London and showed no signs of illness.

He left the station with his two sons who live in Hampshire and Berkshire.

Mr Darwin's disappearance sparked agony for his family.

At the time of his disappearance he was working as a prison officer and the alarm was raised when he failed to arrive for a night shift.

'Difficult to grieve'

His wife Anne, a doctor's receptionist, said six months after her husband vanished: "People die, have a funeral, they have a headstone, there is something to mark the fact they existed on this earth.

"But without a body, I don't know how we can mark John's life.

"All I want is to bury his body. It would enable me to move on. It's difficult to grieve without bringing things to a close, but as it is I'm in limbo and there's nothing I can do."

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said Mr Darwin was not held in custody.

He said the Met would not be playing any further role in the investigation as Cleveland Police opened the original missing persons inquiry.

I think the only answer to where he's been is alien abduction.

Original text
ElishevaBarsabeOffline
Really?!
Total posts: 794
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I heard on the radio that there was a further strange occurrence - his wife has recently gone missing...

Wow. What channel were you listening to?
licata1708Offline
Headmaster at the Sly-Lemkoff Picnic
Total posts: 93
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:

That is very bizarre. Please keep us updated if there is any more info on that aspect of this story.

An aquaintence's co-worker experienced something similar in her family, her brother went missing for months. It was a similar story where he had amnesia and went into the cops saying he believed he was a missing person, but doesn't remember anything - when he got back to his family he didn't know who any of them were. I suppose there is a precedent for amnesia to be brought on by sever cases of depression/break downs.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5599
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is very bizarre. Please keep us updated if there is any more info on that aspect of this story.

According to tonight's Evening Standard, the man's wife recently sold her house and, around a month ago, moved to Panama(!). His adult son also apparently gave up his job about a fortnight ago.

All rather strange and I can't help but think there is more to this than simple amnesia.
rynner
PostPosted: 04-12-2007 08:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
All rather strange and I can't help but think there is more to this than simple amnesia.

Missing canoeist's wife emigrated to Panama
By Richard Edwards, Paul Stokes and Duncan Gardham
Last Updated: 6:29am GMT 04/12/2007

The wife of a canoeist who walked into a police station five years after going missing emigrated to Panama six weeks ago, it has emerged.

John Darwin was declared dead after his clothes and the remains of a canoe were found washed up on a beach in Seaton Carew, near Hartlepool, Teesside, in March 2002.

But as news of his extraordinary return spread yesterday, the exact whereabouts of his wife, Anne, remained unknown.

Mr Darwin, 57, turned up at a police station on Saturday and told officers: "I think I am a missing person."

The former teacher, who was working as a prison officer when he disappeared, said he could not remember anything that had happened to him. His identity was confirmed by his two sons.

Detectives are hoping to interview Mr Darwin to piece together his movements since 2002.

Insp Helen Eustace, of Hartlepool police, described the turn of events as "amazing".

She said Mr Darwin's sons had "spent the last five years thinking their father was dead". Mark, 31, and Anthony, 29, were called to an "emotional reunion" and were believed to be with their father yesterday.

Mr and Mrs Darwin had been married for 28 years. She declared herself a widow six months after his disappearance. Shocked

Insp Eustace said: "The guy can't remember anything about what's happened or why he's come forward. He has no memory at all. He has obviously been somewhere for the last five years and a lot of questions need answering."

However, recent financial activity became the focus of the mystery yesterday.

It emerged that Mr Darwin's bank account had apparently been active in February 2005, and March and September last year. It is believed the activity was linked to the home he used to share with his wife in Hartlepool, before he went missing.

Mrs Darwin emigrated six weeks ago and a bank account is said to be active in Panama. It is understood that she sold her homes and moved abroad about six weeks ago without leaving a forwarding address.

It is not known whether Mr Darwin had any life assurance, or if his family were able to collect it.

Mrs Darwin had transferred the couple's two adjoining houses in Hartlepool to her eldest son in June last year. Both homes have subsequently been sold this year for £295,000 and £160,000.

Mr Darwin's aunt Margaret Burns said last night that the last time many family members - including his father - had seen him was at the funeral of his mother in October 1991. Mrs Burns said: "All he could talk about was that he was going to be a millionaire by the time he was 50."

Bill Rodriguez, 75, a neighbour, said when he last saw Mrs Darwin in August she told him she had just returned from a six-week holiday in Panama and had ''loved it so much she had bought a flat there and was going to move out there full-time". However, other neighbours understood her to be in Australia or the Caribbean.

Mr Darwin's father Ronald, 91, said when his son was four or five he was knocked down by a car and suffered a head injury, which could have caused amnesia later in his life.

He said: ''I will ask him where he has been these past few years. I never ever gave up hope I would see him again."

http://tinyurl.com/ynkq78

More loose ends than a plate of Spaghetti!

How does a prison warder get to have expectations of becoming a millionaire?

If the press don't get to the bottom of this, it'll be fertile ground for some novelist to explore....
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4001
PostPosted: 04-12-2007 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the aliens arranged a swap, him for those disks from HMRC?
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 04-12-2007 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-mergin' I have been.

I must say, I find the whole thing quite monumentally suspicious...
lupinwickOffline
Total posts: 1645
PostPosted: 04-12-2007 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some more information on this kind of thing...

Quote:

The mysterious reappearance of canoeist John Darwin after vanishing five years ago has cast the spotlight on a little-covered phenomenon: middle-aged men who go missing.

Bernard Cook is still receiving post.

But he has not passed over the threshold of his home and reached down to pick it up since 16 November 2005.

Some time around the middle of that day Mr Cook, estates director for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company and due at an important meeting, took a van from his work and disappeared.

In the two years and 18 days that have passed there has only been one sighting, at a church in Coventry, that has given his family any hope.

BBC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: