Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Canoeist missing for five years turns up alive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 07:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canoeist photo genuine, says wife

A canoeist who went missing for five years before reappearing at the weekend has been taken to a police station in north-east England for questioning.
John Darwin, 57, was arrested by Cleveland Police on suspicion of fraud after being reunited with his two sons.

He was presumed dead after going missing off Hartlepool in March 2002, but reappeared on Saturday.

Newspapers have reported his wife Anne has admitted a photo of the couple, apparently taken in Panama, is genuine.
Mr Darwin hid behind a newspaper as the car reached the police station

The Daily Mirror newspaper published a photo which apparently showed the Darwins pictured in an apartment in Panama last year.

Cleveland Police said the photo would be examined as part of their investigation.

But in several newspapers today, 55-year-old Mrs Darwin describes her life as a nightmare, and the situation she finds herself in, as a mess.

She is reported as confirming that the photo is genuine.

Mr Darwin was reunited with his sons and arrested by police at the home of one of them in Hampshire late on Tuesday, before being driven to the North East.

Mr Darwin covered his head with a newspaper as he arrived at the police station, flanked by two officers just before 2330 GMT on Wednesday night.

He was due to undergo a medical examination before being questioned later.
The detective leading the case also said police may be questioning Mr Darwin's wife Anne, who emigrated to Panama six weeks ago.

Det Supt Tony Hutchinson revealed the case had been reopened earlier in the year at a news conference on Wednesday.

He said: "There was some information which was reported to us three months ago to suggest that perhaps there was something suspicious with regards to his disappearance, and as a result of that information we then began to conduct some inquiries on a financial basis.

"Certainly three months ago we did not know that John Darwin was alive, and we did not know that until he walked into the police station on Saturday morning.

"But it is fair to say that we were conducting some inquiries as a result of some information we had which raised some suspicions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7130046.stm

Now we need to know who the whistle-blower is! Cool
rynner
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 07:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Matt cartoon:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Matt/pMattTemplate.jhtml;jsessionid=DLR2YII11Z14JQFIQMGSFFOAVCBQWIV0
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5557
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 09:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now we need to know who the whistle-blower is!

There was something in the Metro on I think Tuesday morning saying that rumours had been circulating in his home town for a while that he was still alive and that he may even have lived there for a time. There was also a throwaway reference to a credit card application made in his name. If so, that is probably the "financial information" the police are following up.
Fizz32Offline
Dragon Breeder
Total posts: 268
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight in my head.

This couple appear to have staged the husband's disappearance, waited until the insurance payouts came through, sold up and planned to move to Panama.

The naivete of this couple has me amazed - surely they would know that they would have to keep him well hidden, and certainly not allow anyone to take his picture. I've read that his bank account was accessed at times too.

But the main thing that stuns me is the fact that they have put their children through unspeakable worry, uncertainty and finally grief for their father, all for the sake of money. I know people are cold hearted enough to do such things, I just can't understand how.
graylien
Great Old One
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now it seems that one of junior Darwins has pulled a vanishing act.

Quote:

THE son of ’missing’ canoeist John Darwin is feared to have done a moonlight runner from his North London home, leaving printed instructions for his girlfriend on how to get to City airport.

His flatmates called the police this morning after Mark Darwin, 31, returned in the middle of the night and cleared out his room.

He left only instructions on getting to City airport, and a rambling notebook labelled ’Instructions to Felicity’ addressed to his girlfriend Felicity Witts.

Speaking at the address in Brent Way, West Finchley, his flatmate said: “He’s come back here last night and taken all his stuff when we were all sleeping. He has taken his laptop.

“There’s a notebook with instructions for Felicity. The police are going to come and pick up the notebook.

“It’s got some strange stuff in it and there are poems in it. It’s got codes on it and stuff about going to phoneboxes and not telling people your name.

“It might all be perfectly innocent but the notebook is very suspicious and the fact that he’s left without telling us. I think there were references to Panama in it.

“It had instructions on it. It was a really strange note, like obsessive compulsive, like someone writing something over and over. I'm a bit freaked out.

“I don’t know if he wanted it found, I would doubt it.”
source

Curiouser and curiouser...
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

“It’s got some strange stuff in it and there are poems in it. It’s got codes on it and stuff about going to phoneboxes and not telling people your name.

“It might all be perfectly innocent"

...umm, how about 'probably not'.
Fizz32Offline
Dragon Breeder
Total posts: 268
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard on Radio 4 that both sons had left their jobs recently - one in August and the other last Friday.

WTF is going on here?
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 5357
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story gets better and better, if it turned up in a cop show you wouldn't believe it...
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2339
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, was that the third-act turn, or are we in for an even bigger surprise?

I'd rather find out that the missing son was in on the scam than otherwise, right now, because if he wasn't, and he's fragile, and the stress of losing his dad, finding his dad, and discovering his dad and mother are dishonest and willing to put him through hell for monetary gain breaks him - that makes it a tragedy instead of a farce. In fiction, I like a tragedy as much as the next drama queen; in real life, gimme farce.
rynner
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the sons were fooled as well...

Neighbour 'met Darwin in Panama'

"Missing" canoeist John Darwin arrived in Panama in July, a neighbour who says she met him has told the BBC.
Patricia Centella de Lopez said he told her that he and his wife planned to live in her apartment block for a year while they looked for a farm to buy.

Earlier, Mr Darwin's sons Anthony and Mark said they felt they were "the victims of a large scam".

Mr Darwin reappeared after disappearing in 2002 off the coast of Hartlepool in an apparent canoeing tragedy.

He was arrested by Cleveland Police on suspicion of fraud after walking into a London police station at the weekend.

Mrs de Lopez told the BBC she had "no doubt" the man who lived in her building was John Darwin.

"Last July I met a new neighbour in the building. When I speak with him, he told me he was new in the building. He told me his name was John," she said.

Mrs de Lopez said he told her he was from Europe and his wife was there doing some business and would join him later.

The last time she said she saw them together was the final weekend of November.
She said they lived on the fourth floor of the building in Panama City while she lived on the second.

'Very much alive'

Mrs Darwin, 55, has admitted to newspapers that a photo of her and her husband taken last year in Panama is genuine.

She sold the family home on Teesside and moved to Panama six weeks ago.

In a statement released through Cleveland Police, the couple's sons asked how their mother could have let them believe their father was dead for five years.

They said they had been through a "rollercoaster of emotion" since their father's reappearance.

They said: "Having seen the recent media speculation surrounding our parents ever since our dad was arrested, we are very much in an angry and confused state of mind.

"In the short space of time following our dad's appearance in London on Saturday, we have gone through a rollercoaster of emotion.

"From the height of elation at finding him to be alive to the depths of despair at the recent stories of fraud and these latest pictures. And the shock of being thrust into the media spotlight.

"If the papers' allegations of a confession from our mam are true then we very much feel that we have been the victims in a large scam.

"How could our mam continue to let us believe our dad had died when he was very much alive?"

Mr and Mrs Darwin's sons said that they had not spoken to either of their parents since their father's arrest.

It has also emerged that both sons have recently left their jobs - one in property and one in insurance.

Declared dead

Cleveland Police said detectives had been given the go-ahead to interview Mr Darwin.

A police spokeswoman said: "John Darwin has been medically examined and has been declared fit for interview."

The spokeswoman said that officers had until just before midnight on Thursday to question him, after which time a superintendent's extension could be granted for a further 12 hours.

Mr Darwin, 57, was arrested on suspicion of fraud at his son Anthony's home early on Wednesday morning. He is currently at Kirkleatham Police Station.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7131548.stm
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12983
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these two chancers really want money they can now sell the film rights.
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1638
PostPosted: 06-12-2007 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if the shocked kids are really in the dark as the rest of us or like turning himself in as an Amnesiac he, now his wife , is trying not to implicate them as well.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Just hope they don't start digging up the patio.... Shocked
rynner
PostPosted: 07-12-2007 07:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
If these two chancers really want money they can now sell the film rights.

Not if they're convicted of anything criminal - it's the Law!
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13579
PostPosted: 07-12-2007 09:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Darwin has reached Panama from Harltepool without even his canoe, he's an even better swimmer the late John Stonehouse. Wink
maximus_otterOffline
Recovering policeman
Total posts: 239
PostPosted: 07-12-2007 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

"John Darwin, the mystery canoeist, is "partially" regaining his memory but cannot explain how he came "back from the dead".

Family friends told how the 57-year-old former prison officer, who resurfaced this week after being missing for five years, now remembers being in Panama with his wife last year.

However, he insists he has no memory of the events of 2002, when he went missing, presumed dead, after a canoeing accident in the North Sea."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/07/ncanoe107.xml

Oh, for ****'s sake, pal, just admit it!

This reminds me of so many interviews I conducted as a police officer:

1. The suspect denies any involvement in the burglary, and states he's never even been to the address.

2. I produce DNA evidence connecting him to the address.

3. Break in interview while suspect confers with his brief.

4. "Oh, that 23, High Street, Anytown!" Of course he's been there, but he's never met his co-accused Billy Smith.

5. I produce CCTV stills showing him in a 30-minute conversation with Billy Smith, who's also bonking his sister.

6. Break in interview while suspect confers with his brief.

7. "Oh, that Billy Smith!"! Of course he knows him, but he never even saw the bicycle stolen in the burglary.

8. I produce the statement of the PC who checked him, riding the stolen bicycle, 30 minutes after the burglary.

9. Break in interview while suspect confers with his brief.

10. "Oh, that bicycle!"

Etc., ad nauseam...

Rolling Eyes

maximus otter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: