Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Canoeist missing for five years turns up alive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 16-12-2007 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres been a lot of awful puns in the headlines the last few weeks, mostly along the lines of "Canoe believe it!" etc...
maximus_otterOffline
Recovering policeman
Total posts: 239
PostPosted: 17-12-2007 09:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story was even referred to on Strictly Come Dancing last night!

There's fame, if you like.

maximus otter
Fizz32Offline
Dragon Breeder
Total posts: 400
PostPosted: 17-12-2007 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the police have now interviewed the sons, and said they are also 'victims' of this crime, my theory is that Mrs Darwin promised them money from the properties she'd sold, in order to set themselves up in their own businesses.

That's why they'd just left their jobs, and are now as shocked as anyone else that their father has turned up out of the blue. Their parents have been very cruel to them, and now the money they'd hoped to use for their own futures is probably locked up in bank accounts that they can't touch because of the investigation.

No jobs, no parents (both in custody and who the hell would want to ever speak to their parents again after they'd done that to them?), no privacy, as I bet there's a reporter outside each of their houses right now. If they're genuinely innocent of all this, they must be devastated.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18648
PostPosted: 17-12-2007 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways of dealing with the tabloid press, as I have unfortunately had to learn by experience, and slagging off your wayward parents is NOT the dignified way forward. The sons would have done better to keep their gobs shut from the start. As things are, they've kissed their privacy goodbye.

This isn't their fault and I'm not judging them. But if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, remember that you don't HAVE to 'just give your side of the story'. Wink
rynner
PostPosted: 30-12-2007 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of tabloids...

New 'canoe man' in France
29/12/2007

A French "canoe man" thought to have killed himself two years ago after running up £500,000 gambling debts has been arrested.

The 56-year-old insurance company director was caught last week in Paris after using his real name to apply for a job.

Police chief Christian Wuilbaut said: "He confessed he had flown to Algeria, then returned after three months under his own name and taken low-paid jobs. When we found him he was relieved and exhausted."

The man, who has not been named, vanished after leaving his car on a cliff in Boulogne. He left a note saying he was to throw himself in the sea.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/12/29/new-canoe-man-in-france-89520-20268025/

Edit: Link size reduced. P_M
rynner
PostPosted: 08-01-2008 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back to the main man:

Canoe couple face further charges

Canoeist John Darwin, who reappeared after being presumed dead, and his wife Anne, have been charged with further offences, police have said.
The couple have already been charged with dishonestly obtaining money transfer by deception and are due to face Hartlepool magistrates on Friday.

They will now also face the court on Wednesday to answer another, as yet undisclosed, deception charge.

Mr Darwin walked into a police station after being presumed dead since 2002.

He also faces a charge of making an untrue statement to procure a passport.

Declared dead

The 57-year-old disappeared from his home in March 2002 and was presumed drowned after his wrecked canoe was found.

The following year a coroner officially declared him dead.

Since her husband's disappearance Mrs Darwin has sold the family home in Seaton Carew and moved to Panama.

She was arrested at Manchester Airport when she flew back to England.

The couple's sons Mark, 32, and Anthony, 29, released a statement saying they wanted no more contact with their parents and police have said their sons are not suspects.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7177758.stm

Sad about the sons' attitude, though.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14772
PostPosted: 23-07-2008 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7520803.stm

Quote:
Canoe fraud couple sent to jail

Back-from-the-dead canoeist John Darwin and his wife Anne have each been jailed for more than six years for fraudulently claiming £250,000.

John Darwin, 57, was jailed for six years and three months after earlier admitting deception by faking his own death in a canoe accident.

Anne Darwin, 56, was given six and a half years for the fraud.

The judge said the couple's two sons, who were unaware their father was still alive, were the "real victims".

The couple conned sons Mark and Anthony, friends, police and insurance companies into believing Mr Darwin drowned in the North Sea off Teesside in 2002.

He reappeared at a London police station in December last year claiming he had lost his memory.

They were undone by a photograph of the grinning couple taken in Panama four years after he disappeared.

Mr Justice Wilkie, at Teesside Crown Court, said their sons, who gave evidence for the prosecution against their mother, had been left "crushed" by the deception.

He said: "Although the sums involved are not as high as some reported cases, the duration of the offending, its multi-faceted nature and, in particular, the grief inflicted over the years to those who, in truth, were the real victims, your own sons, whose lives you crushed, make this a case which merits a particularly severe sentence."

A compensation hearing to determine how the couple can pay back the £250,000 they defrauded will take place at a later date.

Anne Darwin had put forward the defence of "marital coercion" against 15 charges of money laundering and fraud, meaning her husband made her act against her will. However, the jury found her guilty...

After all those surprises, no surprise at all. And that was that.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6038
PostPosted: 23-07-2008 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Nods>

If he hadnt insisted calling a kayak a canoe, he might have got away with it
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10507
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 06:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC wrote:
..Anne Darwin had put forward the defence of "marital coercion" against 15 charges of money laundering and fraud, meaning her husband made her act against her will.

A man, a peon, a canoe: Panama!

You've got to admire the "He made me do it, despite all evidence to the contrary" defence, though. And the moral of this one is: if you're a bit skint, flog some of your dozen houses, and don't appear to die then miraculously rise from the dead claiming to be amnesiac a day or two after your wife emigrates to Central America to start a new life. Fockwit.
blackhand2010Offline
Genius. Redefined
Total posts: 192
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
The BBC wrote:
..Anne Darwin had put forward the defence of "marital coercion" against 15 charges of money laundering and fraud, meaning her husband made her act against her will.

A man, a peon, a canoe: Panama!

You've got to admire the "He made me do it, despite all evidence to the contrary" defence, though. And the moral of this one is: if you're a bit skint, flog some of your dozen houses, and don't appear to die then miraculously rise from the dead claiming to be amnesiac a day or two after your wife emigrates to Central America to start a new life. Fockwit.

But that's what intruiges me. Why did he do it? Why turn up again?
I've heard mention of them having a row, but both ending up doing time seems to be taking the cut nose spite face thing a little far...
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10507
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, they could come out to absolutely nothing..

The Beeb says:
Quote:
Separate bills for fraud couple

Back-from-the-dead canoeist John Darwin and his wife Anne are to face separate bills from lawyers seeking to recover assets following their £250,000 fraud.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has confirmed it wants £455,000 from the sale of their two Teesside homes to be included in any settlement.

The pair were each jailed for more than six years after John Darwin faked his own death in 2002.

Police will assess the couple's assets before a hearing to be held later.

John Darwin, 57, was jailed for six years and three months after earlier admitting deception by faking his own death in a canoe accident.

Anne Darwin, 56, was given six and a half years for the fraud on Wednesday.

The pair had hoped to start a new life in Panama after getting into debt.

Police believe when they were arrested last December their assets were worth at least £500,000 - the equivalent of one million US dollars in Panama.

A judge will determine how much each will have to pay back at a proceeds-of-crime hearing to be held later this year.
wembley8Offline
Home of Legends
Total posts: 2001
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite part is that he is now doomed to be known as "canoe man" or "canoeist" for the rest of his life. A fitting punishment...
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14772
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

wembley8 wrote:
My favourite part is that he is now doomed to be known as "canoe man" or "canoeist" for the rest of his life. A fitting punishment...

I prefer "Mr Canoehead".
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18648
PostPosted: 24-07-2008 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

But that's what intruiges me. Why did he do it? Why turn up again?
I've heard mention of them having a row, but both ending up doing time seems to be taking the cut nose spite face thing a little far...

I've read that they needed to re-establish his real ID in order to move abroad together legally. There was no argument, only his need to pretend to have lost his memory.
goth13girl666Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 438
PostPosted: 31-07-2008 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the reasons for his disappearence might be to do with the fact that he had alot of debts owing and the insurance money and the money from the sale of the houses would cover that and leave them with some left over because his wife said to her neighbour " if this does not work out WE lose everything", now why would she say we if there was only her and she knew nothing about or of her husbands disappearence,

One of the neighbour's said that she moved suddenly didnt take much with her as it took 15 skips to clear the rubbish out the house, now why would she be in such a hurry? unless she knew what was happening and it seems really odd that this all coinsides with her husbands return.

Its also a little off that she wouldnt give her husband some kind of send off even without his body you could always do a little memorial service but she never and i dont hink it had anything to do with the fact that she could not get any peace without his body she knew he was alive and how could she lie to her own children about the death of their dad?

After the insurance money came through and the money from the sale of the two houses its suspious that she suddenly up and left to move abroad without telling anyone what she was doing, and from the neighbours statements it was clear people knew that she had something to hide and she knew more than she was letting on,

she also said "i know i might have to give back some of the insurance money it wont be easy but i will cope" she or should i say they were more concerned about getting the money for settling debts and starting afresh but this is classed as freud.

At least they got what they deserved being jailed for six years each, and the cps also want the money or at least some of the money owed form the saleof the houses, she also said he made her do it against her will so for that to happen he must of been closeby right? otherwise why didnt she just go to the police and tell them what was happening?

il tell you why she wanted the money and a debt free life as much as he did so they are both as bad as each other
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: