Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Humour and Jokes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a GSOH?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 58 ]
Sometimes
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
What's a GSOH?
15%
 15%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 88

gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14377
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on the Clive James show back in the 80s and was reminded of it for some reason today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUz93v_s18A

I don't think Marty the Monster was doing himself any favours there.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1140
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 07:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season's Greetings from Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory!

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/716/t867.jpg

Christmas with Batgirl and Supergirl, from Cowshell.com:

link to part one

link to part two

And for more comic fun, visit Cowshell.com!

http://www.cowshell.com/
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24080
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love "I'm Sorry I haven't a clue" and "Just a minute", you'll probably wet yourself listening to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03lpc02/Im_Sorry_I_Havent_A_Clue_Series_60_Episode_6/

(And Mornington Crescent, where Sat Nav is allowed, is just as good!)

Cool

Jack Dee is da man!
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5486
PostPosted: 21-12-2013 03:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Dee's impression of Nicholas Parsons is impressive, but it's a bit too close to the original, which is the one thing I find annoying about Just a Minute.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1140
PostPosted: 30-12-2013 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

What weighs three tons, and sings "Day-O"?

-- Harry Elafonte.

What's thirty feet long, and sings "Blue Jean"?

-- David Boa.

What do you get if you throw David Bowie into a wood-chipper?

-- Ziggy Sawdust.

http://tgnmemory.freeforums.org/images/smilies/tt23_.gif "I'll get me coat..."
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14377
PostPosted: 30-12-2013 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sent this the other day:
http://www.viralnova.com/cardboard-box-office/

Very Michel Gondry, I wish my baby pics were that cool.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10011
PostPosted: 30-12-2013 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
I was sent this the other day:
http://www.viralnova.com/cardboard-box-office/

Very Michel Gondry, I wish my baby pics were that cool.

Brilliant!
But might that baby grow up disturbed?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 30-12-2013 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Brilliant!
But might that baby grow up disturbed?

Far less than most of us, I suspect! Wink

The baby is clearly not stressed - it's just playing games.

And when it's old enough to look at the pics with a more adult understanding, it will probably just smile a happy smile, grateful that its parents were so creative and cool. Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might the TV critics grow up disturbed? Twisted Evil

Mrs Brown's Boys: a show of two fingers to critics
It’s vulgar, outdated and unfunny – and the public loves it

The battle for bad taste is never fully won, although decency’s trenches are blazing and it’s hard to fancy the chances of the poor saps dug in on the ridges of refinement. Rumbling on to the festive field of battle, like some huge, smut-lobbing siege mortar, came Mrs Brown’s Boys, and when the smoke cleared, there wasn’t much to do but run up the white flag.

Depending on how you take your television, this prime-time phenomenon — consisting of a foul-mouthed Dublin housewife-in-drag and her philistine brood — was broadcast to, or inflicted upon, the biggest audiences of Christmas and New Year, mowing down such prestige efforts as Doctor Who and Downton Abbey.

The BBC packages it as a sitcom, but to many reviewers it is more of a mystery, at the heart of which lies the question of how anyone can find it funny. The concepts are as cobwebbed as a pharaoh’s tomb, the characters struggle to be even one-dimensional, and in terms of wit and subtlety, the script makes George and Mildred look like Aristophanes.

Yet the critics have misjudged the nation, which clearly has an appetite for the kind of comedy not seen in decades. “Fecking” and “s----” are not so much Mrs Brown’s favourite words as virtually her only ones, used with prodigious randomness and splattered across a backtrack of slapstick vulgarity exhumed from wherever those risqué television comedies of old went to die. As one Metro reviewer says: “I’m angry that this infantile, talent-deficient, entirely unfunny programme is being defended as viable television.”

What the critics possibly missed was that the woolly-cardiganed, authentic ghastliness of Agnes Brown comes from working-class Dublin, and the lady, frankly, couldn’t give a s---- whether critics like her.

Brendan O’Carroll, 58, the show’s creator and star, based her largely on his own mother, Maureen, who, despite having little income and 10 other children to raise, managed to serve as an MP in the Irish parliament. O’Carroll left school at 11, worked as a waiter, a milkman and a disc jockey before losing all his money in a failed pub venture. He turned to stand-up comedy, and in the mid-Nineties landed a radio slot on RTE. Desperate for a comic character to build a routine around, he invented Mrs Brown, and when the actress he’d booked to play the part called in sick he took on the role himself.

It is now heading towards a fourth series as Britain’s most-watched comedy, with several awards, including a Bafta, under its belt. Yet it continues to be cold-shouldered by the critics, and is regularly subjected to the kind of complaints the Beeb most dreads, ranging from racist stereotyping to sexism to the ridiculing of the lower orders.

According to O’Carroll, Mrs Brown reaches “the audience that comedy forgot… somebody at the BBC read in a magazine that comedy is the new rock’n’roll. And they actually believed that and started pitching it only to the 18- to 25-year-old market, and left the rest behind.”

Elitists may sneer, but watching Mrs Brown’s Boys is an act of subversion against the right-on orthodoxy that promotes comedy as ideological, motivational, subversive — anything but entertainment. Does that help to make it funny? “I haven’t,” admits O’Carroll, “a fecking clue.” Cool

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10548985/mrs-browns-boys-brendan-ocarroll-bbc-comedy-christmas.html

I guess I'm vulgar and outdated then, because I find it hilarious! Very Happy
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

And from the other end of the Irish comedy spectrum...

Dave Allen – God's Own Comedian, BBC2, review
The wonderful wit and creativity of comedian Dave Allen is remembered in a fine BBC2 tribute programme
By Martin Chilton, Culture Editor online
9:58PM GMT 04 Jan 2104

Stuck in traffic one day, Dave Allen watched a road sweeper at work and imagined, as the man reached a street corner, that the labourer could lift up the paving slabs and brush the rubbish under the stones. The idea was turned into a funny sketch for one of his TV shows.

Allen had that sort of original mind. In Dave Allen – God's Own Comedian, his second wife Karin recalled some of the scraps of paper on which he had written seemingly bizarre notes such as "hypnotised chickens" that would later become classic skits.

Allen died, aged 68, on March 10, 2005, and this excellent BBC show gathered family members, colleagues such as playwright Stephen Berkoff and friend and actress Maggie Smith to talk about the witty Irishman.

At home, his childhood was a nourishing one (his open-hearted father, the Managing Editor of The Irish Times, delighted in storytelling) but at school he was subject to the teaching of narrow-minded and often violent nuns. He would pay them back in his comedy.

As a young man he moved from the family home near Dublin to try his hand at journalism. When that failed to work out, he spent time as a redcoat. My own father worked with him at Skegness Butlins, where the young David Tynan O'Mahoney, as he then was, enjoyed singing Hi-Lo's songs with the holiday camp band. They met up in London after the holiday season ended and went to see a Marx Brothers film at the Classic Cinema in Baker Street. Allen was at a low point, wondering how he could really make his mark. He said he thought he would try his luck in Australia. Down Under he came up trumps, using the stage name Dave Allen.

The documentary showed footage from 1963 of him on Australian TV and you can already see the confidence he had gained. When he returned to England, as a married man, he was sought-after. From 1967 to 1994 he regularly had his own shows on ITV and BBC. He would sit on a stool, cigarette in hand, sipping a drink (it was ginger ale) and delivering clever and funny monologues. His gentle voice and subtle wordplay belied controversial comedy.

His shows were subversive. He mocked and offended the Catholic Church, resulting in a ban by Irish TV and death threats from the IRA. As comedian Mark Thomas pointed out, Allen was satirising Apartheid long before alternative comedians. Allen was known for two other things: ending shows with the words "goodnight, thank you and may your God go with you", and for making jokes about his missing finger. He never gave the same account of how he had lost his finger.

But there was more to Allen than stand-up. He was a fine stage actor – appearing in Alan Bennett's One Fine Day – and a pioneering documentary film presenter. His series Eccentrics at Play laid ground for territory Louis Theroux would later explore.

The documentary was also good at showing the man away from the camera, an erudite and loving father and husband, happy lounging about in scruffy clothes and doing some watercolours. As his wife said, Allen was both ordinary and extraordinary.

When the Telegraph's Theatre Critic Charles Spencer reviewed Allen's one-man show in 1993, he wrote: "His baffled humanity, his perplexity in the face of life's mysteries and irritations, are the qualities that make him such a fine and sometimes moving comedian. He's a blaspheming atheist on the side of the angels."

This programme was a worthy tribute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10026098/Dave-Allen-Gods-Own-Comedian-BBC2-review.html

Repeat of show broadcast in April '13.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s94tc/Dave_Allen_Gods_Own_Comedian/

Available until
9:59PM Sat, 11 Jan 2014
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-01-2014 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Lloyd Pack's memorable lines

Best known as the lovable simpleton Trigger in Only Fools and Horses, Roger Lloyd Pack, who has died aged 69, had another regular role as coarse farmer Owen Newitt in The Vicar of Dibley.

Below are some of his most memorable lines from the shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25763957

Enjoy! Very Happy
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18409
PostPosted: 17-01-2014 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

A R4 programme about Dave Allen:

Great Lives:Dave Allen

Quote:
Comedian Dave Allen is chosen by Adil Ray, creator and star of Citizen Khan. He explains to Matthew Parris how the legendary Irish comic helped shape his own career.

Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a sheep surf? This one at Godrevy can, baaaaa-dly
11:00am Saturday 18th January 2014

It is the weekend, so to celebrate here at thepacket.co.uk we thought it would be fun to bring you a video of a very baaaaa-d surfer, Mildred the surfing sheep taking to the waves at Godrevy.

The video, that has been viewed over 600,000 times on YouTube, was created by St Agnes based surfwear brand Finisterre to promote their environmentally friendly credentials.

Made by the company way back in 2010, the story made a page in The Sun and made the news all over the world. Apparently Mildred now has a fan club in Japan. Cool

So here we go. Meet Mildred. She's a sheep. And she surfs, with the help of some clever digital trickery. Ewe won't believe it...

[video]

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/10945690.Can_a_sheep_surf__This_one_at_Godrevy_can__baaaaa_dly/?ref=mr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlC79KBfmA
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1172
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the worst comedian ever at an open mic night last night.

He got on stage, took a small drain cover out of a bag and put it on his head.

Then he said "This is my impression of Alfred the Grate" nooo
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4222
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
...Then he said "This is my impression of Alfred the Grate" nooo

Could have been worse - could have walked on stage put a wheelchair on his head and said, "Edmund Ironside".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 54 of 56

Jump to: