Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ray Mears - extreme survival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonzogeorgeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 9
PostPosted: 18-02-2008 16:01    Post subject: Ray Mears - extreme survival Reply with quote

Not quite ghosts, but possibly...

I was watching one of Ray Mears, Extreme Survival the other day (on Dave... classic haha) and there was one of the usual stories from someone who gets stranded in the middle of nowhere, and survives on leaves and all sorts of random food sources.

Anyway, I only caught the back end of the programme so details are a bit sketchy, but basically this one guy in some woods, managed to find an abandoned hut. After a few days camping out in there, suffering from hunger and extreme, he falls asleep and is visited by some aperition that has the "head of a dog, foaming at the mouth".

It speaks to him directly, and asks if he his cold enough yet, or hungry enough.
Next day, he wakes up with more energy and feels like he can live through a few more days, (then gets rescued a day or so after).

Sounds pretty terrifying... mind tricks or something visiting this guy?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14974
PostPosted: 18-02-2008 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Dog-Headed Men thread around here somewhere with loads of experiences. Coincidence? (I mean about the DHM, not the thread). It does sound like a hallucination in this case, though.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6294
PostPosted: 18-02-2008 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dreamed I was in a remote hut, delirious with hunger. A huge, ginger lard-arsed man came in and waved his buttocks in my face.

"I'm Ray. And this is where I shine. Hungry yet?" he whispered, yanking up his obscenely scanty shorts to expose an acre of flabby ginger thigh. I seized him and held him throbbingly against my old camp fire until he was well done. Picking his crackling from between my teeth took a full fifteen minutes as I digested his rich, rewarding meat.

"By 'eck, I needed that!"

His hideous dog-head on the pillow suggests a thick tongue breakfast may be on the cards unless this cold weather ends soon and lets me reach base-Asda.

My dreams are just too horrible sometimes. Sad
gonzogeorgeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 9
PostPosted: 19-02-2008 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha!
chewlipOffline
I have nothing to say...but...
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 20-02-2008 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this program!

I think it was probably an hallucination.

The guy who saw it seemed very religious, and said the dog man was the Devil or a demon. The dogheaded man asked if he was cold and hungry enough yet. The man replied with something like "My soul belongs to god" and the doggyman disappeared.

It's a spooky story, but the guy had hardly eaten for days (maybe a week) and the temperature was freezing, so an hallucination seems likely.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18793
PostPosted: 10-01-2014 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's on Desert Island Discs.
Very Happy
EponastillOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 235
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this one, gonzo, about 10 minutes in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIFS3EI1KY

My memory from it when I saw it some time ago was that it was more a Native American thing, where some kind of wolf god was talking to him, out in the remote wilds of Alaska. But he doesn't actually hint at that himself at all*. Just my interpretation clearly! But encountering the figure (or hallucinating the figure) certainly changed his mental attitude towards surviving, he explains how he felt different the next day. So if it was his brain gee-ing him up, it did indeed work. And even if it was something more mysterious, well it worked anyway!

*and, it's interesting, chewlip, that he doesn't say what you thought he said, either, he doesn't mention devils at all. So I guess that says something about memories in general (and how I shouldn't be asked to be a witness to anything). Plus, it wasn't a 'dog-headed man' but an animal. Albeit a scary talking one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: