Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Gef - Talking Mongoose?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 00:17    Post subject: Talking Mongoose? Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading a story in one of those "Mysterious Britain" type books (you know the sort, covering ABCs, ghosts, crop circles, psychics etc) about a young girl who lived on a remote Scottish island (the daughter of a lighthouse keeper?) who apparently owned/lived with a "Talking Mongoose".

This may have been linked to Poltergeist activity. I think other people saw the "mongoose" but the girl was the only one who heard it talk. Not sure what it said.

There was an indistinct photograph of the girl with what looked like a small animal in the corner of the picture, but it could have been a rat or anything.

Also I seem to recall the girl`s life ended young and tragically - either she killed herself, someone else in the family killed her or she ended up in a mental institution?

The same book had a picture of a "Winged Cat" in it if that helps. (a real picture, it was a longhaired cat with hair that had been braided and left to get matted so it looked like wings)

Anyone got any details? Please tell me I`m not making this up...
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 00:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these out...

http://www.resologist.net/ryook005.htm

http://www.forteantimes.com/gallery/gef.shtml
mrchopper
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 00:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the forteantimes link i cant see a mongoose in the pic, can someone point it out to me.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a discussion on Jef on this meandering Mothman thread here
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchopper wrote:

in the forteantimes link i cant see a mongoose in the pic, can someone point it out to me.

It should have a speech balloon, really, shouldn't it?

No, I can't see a bleedin thing either, except a hedge.

Now, a talking hedge would be worth points.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most accessible source on Gef is probably the Orbis part-work
The Unexplained, which carried a good account over two or three
issues. These turn up quite frequently in charity shops and were
often reprinted in various formats as books, with or without the
original art-work. Otherwise you will need to look out for Harry
Price's monograph, which is surprisingly rare, given the fame or
notoriety of the mongoose in the thirties.

The Unexplained contained a picture of a nondescript creature on
a wall, said to be Gef. It has to be said that a contemporary
analysis of Gef's hairs, showed them to be identical with those
of Voirrey's doggie. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 5945
PostPosted: 30-04-2002 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same theme, can anyone see what others seem to see but I cant, check this out, looks like some kind of fish to me.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 00:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a while, but there's a simulacra of a deer at the bottom....

Last edited by evilsprout on 01-05-2002 01:00; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 03:24    Post subject: thanx for the mongoose info Reply with quote

"Jeff (or Gef, whatever you spell it) the Talking Mongoose"... sounds like a slightly off-the-wall (Ren & Stimpy-ish) TV show...

I cant make out any obvious "creature" in the photo either. Looks like it most likely was something the girl made up, whether deliberately as a fraud or subconsciously as something weirder - although there could have also been an OOP flesh-and-blood mongoose. (SOMETHING was shot in 1947... is this too early for introduced Mink perhaps?)

Guess I must have just made up the bit about the girl killing herself or whatever, although she does claim that "people thought she was crazy". Not surprising really if you claim to be living with a talking mongoose!

re the "deer" picture - the simulacra of a bug-eyed creature (maybe a fish, maybe an alien) in the top half of the picture looks a lot clearer than the simulacra of a deer to me...

btw what is the plural of mongoose?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 09:22    Post subject: Long musings on Gef, sorry folks.......... Reply with quote

I too as a teenager read about the talking mongoose 'Gef' which raised lots of questions for me. For a start, I didn't think the mongoose (careful syntactical avoidance of the plural form there!) was native to these islands, so that in itself seemed odd to me. I felt that there was an Indian sub-continent connection that we weren't told about. In fact, there was a 'curse' feeling about it, as if Gef were inflicted on the family by someone with a grievance.

Its conversations were sometimes recorded in detail, and it appeared to quarrel vigorously with both the house's residents and their visitors. It also appeared and disappeared through cracks in the walls and ceilings and could hang upside-down to talk. It didn't melt away like a ghost, it seemed to act as a little rodent would be expected to.

But I don't remember learning what its voice sounded like- I imagine it to be squeaky and rapid- or what its prophesies were. Maybe that's my failing memory.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 11:01    Post subject: Re: Long musings on Gef, sorry folks.......... Reply with quote

escargot wrote:

It didn't melt away like a ghost, it seemed to act as a little rodent would be expected to.

Actually, mongooses are carnivores of the family Viverridae, and are related to meerkats, civets and genets.

Pedantosprout
naitakaOffline
Realistic action figure
Total posts: 432
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the picture that James mentioned. It's from 'Open Files', an Orbis book made up of excerpts from 'The Unexplained'.

'Gef' is on the fencepost at the top left.

Last edited by naitaka on 01-05-2002 18:23; edited 1 time in total
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 5945
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 20:11    Post subject: Re: thanx for the mongoose info Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldstein

[b]re the "deer" picture - the simulacra of a bug-eyed creature (maybe a fish, maybe an alien) in the top half of the picture looks a lot clearer than the simulacra of a deer to me...

I see what you mean, but it looks like the pink panther to me.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to Gef's foreignness, the mongoose was most familiar
from Kipling's Indian-based tale Rikititavi, which was still going strong in my
Primary School days. But there had been a more local history of the
animal on the IOM. It appears that an attempt had been made in
1912 to establish the animal on the island to control rabbits.

Gef himself claimed to have been born in Delhi on 7th June, 1852 - which
would have made him 79 years of age in 1931! roll eyes (sarcastic)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 09-08-2002 18:20    Post subject: Gef the most mysterious of mongooses Reply with quote

After attempting in vain to dislodge the idea of the talking mongoose from my mind, I have recently given in. I decided I really wanted to know more about the cheeky little chap.

There are a few versions of the tale kicking around, but most state that a cast of Gef's prints were sent to the Natural History Museum.

After some telephone conversations from which you could have extracted a whole comedy series, I was finally contacted by someone from thier mamals department. I was told that they have no such cast, or any knowledge of ever having seen it...

Does anyone know anything of these infamouse mongoose prints? confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: