Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Gef - Talking Mongoose?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttaarraassOffline
Total posts: 1636
PostPosted: 23-03-2008 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now a Gef group on Facebook (but of course!).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11118503209
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 5624
PostPosted: 23-03-2008 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy of out very own Graylien, so thanks.
StormkhanOffline
Disturbingly familiar
Total posts: 5331
PostPosted: 24-03-2008 08:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined as soon as I spotted it!
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5948
PostPosted: 18-04-2008 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have polecats on the IOM

I intend visiting some day too, been intending for some time
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5948
PostPosted: 11-05-2008 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading Mr Prices book now.

Doarlish Cashen is a `very` isolated spot; you may find it on the OS getamap service, its due south of Glenmaye, which is a little south of Peel.

The family seen odd in a normal way, domineering mother, tough, but slightly strange father, shy child with a livley interest in things.

I dont think Vorrey (sic...and her mother was half manx so that is where she got a native name) was Gefs voice, since he knows several languages.

Gef says "I follow Vorrey, ma feeds me and pops answers my questions"

I think Vorrey directed him, ma kept him going and pops gives him speech
ttaarraassOffline
PostPosted: 12-05-2008 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kondoru wrote:
The family seen odd in a normal way, domineering mother, tough, but slightly strange father, shy child with a livley interest in things.

I dont think Vorrey (sic...and her mother was half manx so that is where she got a native name) was Gefs voice, since he knows several languages.

From my reading of the book, I understood that the father spoke several languages - oddly enough, the same languages that Gef spoke. And with Voirrey's [sic] lively interest in everything, who's to say she didn't pick up some Arabic, Russian, etc from the books or even directly from her father?
graylien
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-05-2008 06:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fair sized chapter about Gef in Nandor Fodor's book Haunted People: The Story of the Poltergeist. Fodor seems to have done a far more thorough job of investigating Gef on the spot than Harry Price. Price merely paid a flying visit to Cashen's Gap, whereas Fodor went to stay with the Irvings for a week and also interviewed several local witnesses to the phenomena. Unfortunately, it's another of those books that is near impossible to get hold of these days. At some point I really must get round to typing the chapter up and turning it into a PDF.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-05-2010 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy a copy (or a copied version) of the Harry Price book (1936) - "The Haunting of Cashen's Gap" ?

Someone on the above Facebook page has put their spare copy up on Ebay

Well put-together listing, with a few extras thrown in.
ttaarraassOffline
PostPosted: 30-05-2010 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I just got it on an inter-library loan, much cheaper Smile

I'm presuming it's still in copyright (1935?), which is why I'm definitely not half way through digitising the text into a handy Word document..
BannikOffline
It's not easy being green
Total posts: 1089
PostPosted: 07-08-2010 04:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

A music video devoted to Gef: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyzQ-ZFSQic
EnderfayOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 17-08-2010 06:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com
KeyboredOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 22-08-2010 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enderfay wrote:
A good few years ago now, there was a display hosted at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham entitled 'Ghosts'. The bulk of it consisted of the usual, pretentious crap - but one section (the best part of the overall experience, by far) featured the story of Gef.

It took the form of a film (perhaps 30 to 45 minutes duration) comprising of actors taking the part of the different family members involved in the Cashens Gap case.... and talking of their experiences with the poltergeist. Each - from what I can recall - seemed to be indicating that Gef was there 'for them' (within the family unit / house).....

Unfortunately, I've looked around for this film since, but cannot seem to locate it - or it's creator - anywhere? I did write to the Ikon a couple of times, but didn't receive a reply on the matter.....

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - http://vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! Smile
EnderfayOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 23-08-2010 00:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keybored wrote:
I think this might be what you're looking for "Vanished! A Video Seance" by poet, sculptor and performance artist, Brian Catling - http://vimeo.com/7847517

I did sit through it a while ago as I'm a bit of a Gef nut. It's certainly quite creepy! Smile

Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick
KeyboredOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 23-08-2010 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enderfay wrote:
Keybored wrote:

Lord bless you Keybored - you're a star!!! That's the very thing!!!

Many thanks - and all the best,

Nick

You're very welcome Wink
EnderfayOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 24-08-2010 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

In relating the poltergeist matter (that I've recently posted up on here http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42661) to another group member a day or so back, he said to me that it reminded him of the Gef / Cashens Gap case in some way!!! Laugh, laugh!!! How about that for a bit of synchronicity, eh!?!? Laugh!!!!

Have you got a copy of the 'Haunting Of Cashens Gap' by Price Keybored? I'm led to believe it's a bit of a rarity these days?

All the best,

Nick Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: