Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Satanic Abuse Rumbles On?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austen27Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1335
PostPosted: 21-01-2006 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I hear about SRA the more it brings to mind seventeenth century witch hunts. There is something horribly wrong when Christians end up breaking up families whilst chasing (imaginary) satanists. Sad
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19943
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 03:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Published: 19th January 2006

Satanic abuse: Town in shock

SHOCK waves reverberated round the Langley estate this week as residents tried to come to terms with the revelations of the suffering of the parents and children involved in the false allegations of satanic abuse more than 15 years ago.

Last week a Middleton Guardian special edition and a BBC prime-time documentary graphically illustrated how allegedly flawed interview techniques by Middleton social workers led to more than 20 children being separated from their parents, some for more than six years.

For the first time some of the victims were named and were able to give their own accounts of what happened.

This week the parents of the family that sparked off the "witch-hunt" told the Guardian there was still no closure for them. They would be fighting on to get the council to publicly admit their mistakes.

And a former Langley councillor has revealed that he warned the chairman of the Social Services Committee at the time, that the social workers were fundamentalist Christians on a mission, lacked objectivity and should be replaced.

He said the families should receive "serious compensation".

Andrew, the father of Daniel, who inadvertently sparked off the ritual abuse alert, and Julie, said that he had been gratified by the reaction of local people who had expressed their support since the programme was transmitted.

He said: "People have stopped me in the street and in the shops to say how shocked they were at the injustice we have suffered and the ordeal our family has been put through. They have seen for themselves how the social workers conducted those terrible interviews with the children.

"But there has been no complete closure for us and there will not be until the council honestly admits fully and publicly its mistakes. In the meantime we will continue our campaign for full disclosure."

Last night the family was travelling to London to appear on today’s (Thursday) "This Morning" programme on ITV.

This week a former Langley councillor, Robin Parker, told the Guardian that he tried to alert the then chairman of the Social services Committee, Councillor the Rev Paul Flowers, a clergyman, that something was going wrong.

Parker – a former Manchester City Council social services official - said: "I was a very new councillor in Rochdale at the time. I was approached by Langley councillors Kevin Hunt and Tony Heaford.

"They said that something was going very badly wrong and they were on the wrong track."

He said it was apparent that the two social workers involved were fundamentalist Christians and that could be affecting their judgement.

"I went to the chairman of Social Services and said the two social workers were on a mission and could not be objective when they believed Satan was at work, but he rejected this."

Mr Parker, who will fight the Langley seat for Labour in the forthcoming municipal elections, added: "The video interviews we saw on the BBC programme disproved the chairman’s view. The interviews were obviously flawed.

"What should happen now is that the parents and the children should be given the apology they have asked for and serious compensation considered".

It is a view endorsed by many residents of the Langley estate who believe that the estate has been wrongly maligned and that justice has yet to be done.

Langley community activist, Barbara Guisbourne-Hilton said that after 15 years of trauma for the children and their parents it was time for the council to give them a full public apology.

The mother-of-five, who lives on Windermere Road, said that when the story first broke in 1990 she found it "very frightening".

"But it soon became very apparent that there had been a gross over-reaction by the authorities," she said.

"To split the children from their parents at such an important time of their lives must have been terrible for them and left them scarred."

She said there would only be a final closure when the council came clean and the families compensated.

Carl Cooper a member of the Bowlee Park Management Board that now runs the estate said it was time for a closure.

"How can we have any confidence in social services?"

MP for Heywood and Middleton, Jim Dobbin, said that although he didn't watch last week's documentary he thought that the sooner the situation was resolved, the better.

He said: "I was on the council at the time although it was an issue that I personally was never directly involved in. The sooner this gets resolved the better, for the sake of all those that were around Langley at the time and certainly for the future of the estate, as well as for the families involved.

"I hope the whole thing is resolved amicably in due course."

www.middletonguardian.co.uk/news/s/208/208322_satanic_abuse_town_in_shock_.html
RavenstoneOffline
I suffer bad press in Genesis. I may sue...
Total posts: 6073
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit dangerous to say that the Social Workers are Fundies and that's where they went wrong. There's a long history of this kind of phemonena, and it's not always Fundies behind it. Sometimes, the ritual abuse accusations are made against devout Christians of different denominations by those who assume that any kind of ritual involves abuse.

Better to concentrate on the sheer impossibility and implausability of the accusations, I'd have thought.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenstone wrote:
Bit dangerous to say that the Social Workers are Fundies and that's where they went wrong. There's a long history of this kind of phemonena, and it's not always Fundies behind it. Sometimes, the ritual abuse accusations are made against devout Christians of different denominations by those who assume that any kind of ritual involves abuse.

Better to concentrate on the sheer impossibility and implausability of the accusations, I'd have thought.

Dunno - the current problem seems largely to be fueled by fundies (esp. from fundie funded info from over The Pond) so while it can emerge from various different sources it is a very important aspect that needs looking into esp. if there is still a fundie network promoting this kind of thing as The Eye suggests.
RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not denying the Fundie involvement in lots of cases, but I'd rather see the phenomenon itself attacked rather than attacked as a way of attacking Fundies. If that makes sense.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenstone wrote:
I'm not denying the Fundie involvement in lots of cases, but I'd rather see the phenomenon itself attacked rather than attacked as a way of attacking Fundies. If that makes sense.

Well one needn't exclude the other. It needs to be attacked as silly and the people promotin it (despite its obvious silliness) need to be exposed and scrutinised (the same if it was a group of bus conductors or candle makers who were still promoting this nonsense).
RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Otherwise you run into the danger of taking the same allegations seriously from Non-Fundies. The allegations usually follow the lines that, while the therapist doesn't believe in Satan, that's not important; what's important is that the 'victim' believes. Which is usually where these "I was a Breeder for Satan" stories come from.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact one of the best ways of exposing this dangerous idea is to examine why some people would assume this was happening on such thin evidence. Clearly people have promoted this kind of thing over the centuries for a rnage of reasons. I assume here it stems from the fundies' belief that Satan is a real entity and one that is still an active danger in society (I'm reminded of those Hell Houses that Dawkins highlighted in the second part of his show) and if you believe that then SRA seems less unbelievable and believers in it may see signs where other people might see none. This would then feed into the wider network as different groups discover that SRA is "real."
RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the phenomenon starts with the Repressed Memory Movement, which was due to a poor reading of Freud from what I gather. Before Freud developed his Oedipus/Elektra concept, he toyed with the notion of repressed memories, before discarding it. Which is probably the most sensible thing the coke-addled, sex-obsessed berk ever did Wink

This, of course, had nothing whatsoever to do with any kind of religions. However, there were some 'camps', some of which were religion based, where therapists would deal with 'body memories'. Which basically meant that if you had an ache or pain, it was caused by a repressed memory of abuse. Yep - it really was that straightforward.

A lot of the therapists involved had no training; some were self-taught masseurs/usses that diagnosed repression when massaging. Caused bunched up knots of muscles, dontcherknow.

The Courage to Heal came on the market, which basically taught that everyone had been abused - as long as you were female. That all men were abusers. That if you couldn't remember being abused, it just meant that you hadn't remembered it yet. And if you never remembered being abused, it didn't mean that you hadn't been, and you should act as though you did remember it. If you thought you might have been abused, then you were abused. If you answered 'Yes' to any of their questions, you had been abused. If you answered 'No' to any of them, you were in that marvellous thing called 'Denial' which was and is a wonderful catch-all diagnosis.

You should therefore confront your abuser. If you don't remember what they did to you, just tell them that they know what they did. If they deny it, it's because they're repressing it as well, and are also in 'denial'. If anyone asks for proof of your abuse, you should cut them out of your life. If anyone questions the validity of your allegations, you should have nothing further to do with them. If your 'abuser' refuses to acknowledge his 'crimes' then you should have nothing further to do with him or anyone who still sees him.

And so on.

The authors of The Courage to Heal have no religious affiliation whatsoever. In fact, I think they are the ones who reckon that the whole of religion is an excuse to sexual abuse women anyway.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm sure it all has its roots in the whole recovered memory area the main problem with SRA in the UK is that fundies are/were sending over training videos and manuals and organising conferences on SRA over here - as they'd already "discovered" SRA in the US I suppose people were able to use that as a precedent. See what I psted above:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=601313#601313

Individual cases will differ in motivation and that is one reason I think the social workers were let of the hook in this (and a number of other cases) without much examination of why they did what they did. In Langley it looked like they were pursuing a vendetta against the family, In Lewis it seemed to stem from fear of outsiders, etc. but the root of this is the promotion of SRA by fundies.
RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing about SRA is obviously there's no evidence to support it, because it's all run by high ranking government officials, and the police etc are all involved, so by its very nature, you're not going to get very far because all the evidence is so well hidden. Rolling Eyes Wink

And, just like any UL, it sounds like it could be true. So it should be true.

Because, like any repressed memory therapist would tell you, why would anyone make this up????
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenstone wrote:
Because, like any repressed memory therapist would tell you, why would anyone make this up????

Yeah this is the one that comes up time and time again with all sorts of things that have spun off from recovered memories (SRA, alien abduction, etc.) - if they were explicitly and conciously created false memories then they wouldn't be so easily believable.

The why is at least as interesting and scary as the how.
RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 22-01-2006 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strangest thing I find about that argument is that it comes from a profession that tells us about conditions like Munchaussen, and Munchaussen by Proxy, and - well - all sorts of ones that I really can't be bothered to list now, that completely rely on fabricated evidence. For attention. To feel special. To fit in. To out-do other people.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20631
PostPosted: 26-02-2006 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Source: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center

Posted: February 26, 2006

Researchers Say Criterion For Diagnosing Child Abuse Not Always Accurate
When it comes to looking for damage to the eyes to prove child abuse, new research shows that things aren't always as they seem, according to Patrick Lantz, M.D., a forensic pathologist from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.

"Contrary to what many doctors have been taught, we found that number and location of hemorrhages of the eye's retina aren't always proof of child abuse," said Lantz, who reported the results today at the 58th annual meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences in Seattle. "Retinal hemorrhages occur more often than most doctors think are associated with a wide variety of conditions."

Lantz found that about 16 percent of the 700 individuals he examined during autopsy had hemorrhages of the retina, which is light-sensitive nerve tissue at the back of the eye. The bleeding occurs when tiny blood vessels on the retina's surface rupture. Lantz found the hemorrhages in individuals who had died from ruptured aneurysms, falls, car wrecks, gunshot wounds, meningitis and even drug overdose.

"Our research shows that you see the hemorrhages in a lot of different situations," Lantz said. "Retinal hemorrhages occur in child abuse, but they don't always mean a child was abused. Unfortunately, many pathologists, pediatricians and ophthalmologists have been taught that retinal hemorrhages are diagnostic of child abuse unless the child was involved in a high-speed car crash or fell more than two stories."

Currently, when child abuse is suspected, doctors conduct an eye exam to look for retinal hemorrhages and other eye changes that are considered proof of child abuse. Lantz got the idea to question this common assumption after he found that another eye condition, a buckling of the retina, is not always diagnostic for shaken baby syndrome. He reported those results in the British Medical Journal.

To test his theory that retinal hemorrhages also may not always be indicative of child abuse, Lantz decided to look for the condition during autopsies to learn more about when they occur.

Previously, the only way to look for the hemorrhages during an autopsy was to remove the eyes. Lantz came up with an alternative -- performing eye exams during autopsies using a surgical headlight and a handheld lens. This simple technique is sometimes used by ophthalmologists when more sophisticated equipment is not available, but no one had ever reported using it during autopsies.

The 700 deaths were in people ranging in age from birth to 96. Causes of death or conditions associated with retinal hemorrhages included suffocation, sudden infant death syndrome, meningitis, blunt trauma to the head, ruptured cerebral aneurysms, hemorrhagic strokes, cancer that had spread to the brain, high blood pressure, bleeding disorders, diabetes and gunshot wounds to the head.

"Many doctors have been taught to look for the hemorrhages when they suspect child abuse and often will diagnose child abuse without considering other possibilities," Lantz said. "Our research shows that you see the hemorrhages in a variety of different situations in infants, children and adults."

According to medical literature, retinal hemorrhages in infants are rare except in cases of abuse. "We're finding just the opposite," said Lantz. "We've found more retinal hemorrhages in non-abuse cases than in abuse cases, but most doctors don't look in the eyes of children unless they suspect child abuse."

Retinal hemorrhages were found in 30 children under age 14, yet only 6 cases were associated with child abuse.

As one of the first pathologists to routinely look at the back of the eye during autopsies, Lantz has learned that the technique can help diagnose hypertension, glaucoma, Marfan syndrome and even diabetes. He has taught residents and medical students to conduct the examinations and published an article in the Journal of Forensic Science (Nov. 2005) on the technique.

Lantz's co-researcher was Constance A. Stanton, M.D., neuropathologist, from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060226114611.htm

RavenstoneOffline
PostPosted: 27-02-2006 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid-80s, when Satanic Abuse was screamed daily from the tabloids, my nephew was born with a malformity of the lower intestine, which resulted in him undergoing a deeply unpleasant operation at about 2-3 months old, where the surgeon had to manually shift the impacted faeces. He had to go back every so often for similar procedures, and was on adult dose laxatives from a very young age. His parents and grandparents were terrified he would be examined by someone who had no knowledge of his medical history, as they would probably have had a field day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: