Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Challenger Disaster- Soviet Plot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 881
PostPosted: 06-05-2002 09:06    Post subject: Challenger Disaster- Soviet Plot? Reply with quote

More high strangeness from my inbox....

MEG Inventor Tom Bearden: Did the Soviets Cause the Challenger Disaster?

<Partial Quote, since its bloody long>

MEG Inventor Tom Bearden: Did the Soviets Cause the Challenger Disaster?

YOWUSA.COM, May 6, 2002
Janice Manning

On the morning of January 28, 1986, America screamed, shouted and wept in collective horror as the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after liftoff, killing all aboard. We later learned that this tragedy was caused by the weathering and hardening of the huge, rubber “O” rings that were installed in the solid rocket, but there could be more to the story. If U.S. Army Colonel (retired) Tom Bearden is right, there is an even deeper reason than weather itself – Soviet EM warfare directed against the United States. If so, this could portend dangerous consequences for America’s near future, vis-à-vis an Axis of Evil state.

The official report on the Challenger disaster stated the “O” rings had been damaged by unnaturally cold weather. The fact that the failure of the “O” rings caused the disaster it irrefutably. But, what caused the weather, which in turn led to the failure of the “O” rings, has never been addressed, even though it had been an icy morning, which is extremely unusual for Cape Canaveral, Florida. While it has always been a given that this weather was an act of God, Bearden believes it was an act of man instead.

Bearden, inventor of the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator (MEG) “free energy” device, has linked this tragedy, along with other national tragedies and anomalous weather patterns recorded in the U.S. to Russian work with scalar EM waves. He credits Russian scientists with being able to cause electromagnetic interference remotely. He further states that they have been conducting experiments in EM interference, which they call “energetics,” since shortly after WW2 and that they may have begun learning about the technology from stolen schematics and a stolen prototype as early as 1939....

As usual, I make no comment

8¬)
ogopogo3Offline
Just a CabbageHead
Total posts: 1686
PostPosted: 06-05-2002 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given NASA's sheer incompetence in regards to the last few Mars missions, I find the Russia theory unlikely. Not to mention the fact that NASA was warned about the O-ring shortcomings several times before Challenger, but chose to do nothing.

http://www.chron.com/content/interactive/space/archives/86/861119.html
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 06-05-2002 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.. as a Richard Feynman fan I just found the article funny, but wort h sharing Smile

8¬)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when my O ring failed. And it wasn't due to the Soviets, it was more like the Indian I had.
I had to sneak a few things into the laundry that day, I can tell you.
Glensheen'sGirl~Offline
There's just one true me.
Total posts: 209
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 01:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the cars I used to own had a recall due to the o-rings. I can't remember if it was the Corsica or the Intrepid though. Something tells me it was the Corsica.
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 07:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG, quite probably, and it would have been the devil's own job to start on very cold monrings since it would be leaking fuel.

I assume you are familiar with the story of how one member of the investigative team tipped off Richard Feynman where to look by showing him how the carb leaked fuel on cold days...
8¬)

Last edited by harlequin2005 on 07-05-2002 07:33; edited 1 time in total
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25742
PostPosted: 04-02-2010 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenger space shuttle disaster amateur video discovered
Video of the 1986 disaster was locked in Florida man's basement for almost 25 years
Richard Luscombe guardian.co.uk, Thursday 4 February 2010 09.56 GMT

Never-before-seen video of the Challenger space shuttle disaster has surfaced after almost a quarter-century locked away in a Florida basement.

The chilling amateur footage was recorded by retired optometrist Jack Moss on his new home video camera on the morning of 28 January 1986.

The four-minute film captures the moment the shuttle exploded, 73 seconds after launch from Florida's Kennedy Space Centre, killing all seven astronauts on board and setting Nasa's manned spaceflight programme back years.

It is believed to be the only amateur film in existence of the world's worst space disaster, recorded in an era before mobile phone cameras, when even home camcorders were rare.

"I don't think Mr Moss thought it was anything significant. He put it down in his basement with other tapes he had and just forgot about it," said Wessels, executive director of the Space Exploration Archive, a Kentucky-based group that collects space memorabilia for educational purposes.

"It's a unique vignette of a moment in history. We've seen the pictures from the ground at the point of explosion at Cape Canaveral, but never anything like this. It's remarkable raw footage."

The tape surfaced after Moss told Wessels last year that he had watched the launch from the front yard of his house in Winter Garden, Florida, about 80 miles from Cape Canaveral.

"I said we needed to talk about it and he just said casually, 'Yeah, I even have it on video'," said Wessels, who was also Moss's pastor before he died from cancer in December.

"He said I could have the tape when he died. It took a while to find someone with an old Betamax video player, then I had to watch four hours of gameshows and sitcoms from the 1980s, but when I found the Challenger film my reaction was that people really have to see this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/feb/04/challenger-space-shuttle-video-discovered
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 297
PostPosted: 04-02-2010 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder if 3 crap summers in a row in the UK are attributable to someone pushing buttons somewhere. Rolling Eyes
WowBaggerOffline
Grey
Total posts: 24
PostPosted: 04-02-2010 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of a space shuttle Columbia conspiracy involving the black box flight recorder? I watched a Seconds From Disaster episode on Nat Geo recently which got me to thinking.

The programme claimed that the Columbia's black box was not protected by armoured steel, unlike commercial aircraft recorders, and yet was found completely intact and usable after falling 30000ft, unlike any other part of the spaceship.

According to the show, the Columbia black box unlike the all others on the remaining space shuttles, was configured to record full telemetry and flight data during re-entry, and investigators apparently recovered evidence from the undamaged black box which confirmed the foam strike on launch and the re-entry sensor failures pointing to a hole in the left wing's leading edge, to conveniently prove the official line (as opposed to wilder theories of terrorist attack).

It was also found in mysterious circumstances in woodland that had been searched twice before by organised teams of investigators, and bearing in mind the recorder is about a metre by 50cm it should have been found during previous searches of the area.
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7132
PostPosted: 04-02-2010 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also found usable video tape and one of the biological experiments with the worms still alive inside it.
WowBaggerOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 05-02-2010 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timble2 wrote:
They also found usable video tape and one of the biological experiments with the worms still alive inside it.

Not surprised by the worms, they were microscopic and in sealed canisters. The videotape however does seem strange as it was from a handheld camera that had been passed around the crew during re-entry. Wikipedia (which is not always truthful) has the following to say:

"The video shows the flight-deck crew putting on their gloves and passing the video camera around in order to take footage of plasma and flames visible outside the windows of the orbiter (a completely normal occurrence), and ends approximately four minutes prior to the start of the shuttle's disintegration. On normal flights, the recording would have continued through landing. According to the online introduction given by Scott Altman, the remainder of the tape was destroyed in the accident."

I'd like to see that tape...
WowBaggerOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 05-02-2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45r6Ow1tQlM

I realise now that this tape was used in the programme, and how sadly ironic that seconds before the breakup one of the crew states "You definately don't want to be outside now!"
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1633
PostPosted: 05-02-2010 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

WowBagger wrote:
... The programme claimed that the Columbia's black box was not protected by armoured steel, unlike commercial aircraft recorders, and yet was found completely intact and usable after falling 30000ft, unlike any other part of the spaceship.

The unit was found 'intact, but it was not 'usable'. The tape was broken between the reels, and there was water and dirt contamination from the impact.

WowBagger wrote:
... According to the show, the Columbia black box unlike the all others on the remaining space shuttles, was configured to record full telemetry and flight data during re-entry ...

Columbia was the first operational shuttle, but it was also the first fully-operational shuttle *prototype*. Columbia's first flights were quite literally 'test flights'. It was therefore equipped with far more sensors and test equipment than would be used on the later operational shuttles. The additional test equipment made Columbia the heaviest of the shuttles, and it would remain heavier than the others even after refitting.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sts107_oexdata_030327.html
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1633
PostPosted: 05-02-2010 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a passage from an account of the Columbia flight recorder's discovery ...

Quote:

... Homesick and scared, Chauncy Birdtail was running from a water moccasin when he saw a black box 20 feet away, cushioned in the damp carpet of pine needles.

He caught his breath.

"I thought it might be a microwave or a piece of a refrigerator," Birdtail recalled, "but it was the wrong color. I was so excited it brought me out of the snake shivers."

He scrambled toward it.

It was about an hour after lunch, about seven miles from Hemphill, Texas, 46 days after the accident.

Weighed down by search gear, Birdtail found it hard to move quickly. He had on a hard hat, goggles, a red backpack, a yellow Nomex shirt and green Nomex pants layered over by chain-saw chaps designed to blunt the briars.

Birdtail had seen nothing like this before. He was afraid to touch it.

The 58-pound black case was about the size of two videocassette recorders. Its top had cracked. He could see circuit boards and loops of magnetic tape.

His crew mates saw it and started shouting.

When the NASA supervisor showed up and located its serial number, he immediately radioed headquarters at Barksdale.

Birdtail had found the flight data recorder — the piece of wreckage at the top of NASA's search list.

The 22-year-old instrument, known officially as the Orbiter Experiment recorder, held all the information from the shuttle's sensors, readings on the ship's temperatures, pressures and other data during ascent and reentry.

All of that data spooled onto 9,200 feet of 1-inch tape on two reels the size of medium pizzas.

The recorder had been housed under a crew seat, its data to be downloaded only after landing.

"Our jaws dropped when we saw it," said John Hunt, a senior avionics expert at the United Space Alliance, which runs shuttle operations for NASA.

Inside the case, the tape had unwound in a tangle around the capstans and twisted against the recording heads. The impact had nicked and pinched it into a hundred folds, then stretched it into a fragile thread.

All of it was waterlogged.

SOURCE: http://www.columbiassacrifice.com/pages_support/$news.htm

WowBaggerOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 05-02-2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence meant to you Enola but that excerpt read like a crappy women's novel, hardly accurate and impartial journalism.

Having said that, I only know what the TV show told me, and I've tried not to exagerate the story as it was shown to me, but maybe it's National Geographic to blame here for making something out of nothing.

I'll go and do some more research, as the idea of a long lost crucial piece of equipment turning up mysertiously intact is far fetched...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: