Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Challenger Disaster- Soviet Plot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1836
PostPosted: 27-06-2013 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paper published in the Journal of Scientific Exploration (an online peer-reviewed journal for papers that would otherwise never see the light of day):

Analysis of the Columbia Shuttle Disaster—Anatomy of a Flawed Investigation in a Pathological Organization

JOHN P. MACLEAN
WITH GORDON CAMPBELL AND SCOTT SEALS
Utah Valley State College
Orem, Utah

Abstract—Ten days after the Columbia shuttle disaster, the members of two of my classes were assembled to do an analysis of the event. One of the classes was studying Creative Problem Solving and the other Incident Investigation. The shuttle disaster provided an opportunity to relate our studies to a current real-world event. The excitement and energy in the two sessions was phenomenal, and the depth and quality of information brought to the sessions was amazing for undergraduate researchers. It was obvious that our findings were not the same as those of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Their scenario, almost uninterrupted since the disaster, has focused on a block of foam insulation that came loose from the Hydrogen- Oxygen vessel and impacted the leading edge of the left wing of the shuttle. Their contention is that this breached the integrity of the left wing and allowed hot gases to enter on re-entry and destroy the wing. We will show that this scenario does not fit the data well and gives inordinate weight to suspect data and to ground testing that does not duplicate the lift-off conditions. We will present a different scenario that includes structural failures inside the wing on lift-off which fits all of the evidence available to us, including the information presented in the official Columbia Accident Investigation Board (CAIB). The action items for this much more likely scenario are very different than those proposed in the NASA conclusions. We will discuss the cultural, organizational, and management characteristics of the NASA organization and their impact in the flawed investigation of the Columbia shuttle disaster....

Conclusions and Recommendations—Action Items at Variance
It is our conclusion that the Columbia shuttle was a victim of a great deal of mis-management, poor funding, Congressional meddling, and technical errors. These resulted in the most likely scenario being structural failure(s) within the left wing during lift-off due to possible metal fatigue, undetected defects, excessive payload, wind shear, and an impact from a piece of foam block occurring in a short time frame during the heavy vibrational and random ‘‘jerking’’ loads normally present during lift-off.

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_18_2_maclean.pdf
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1747
PostPosted: 16-01-2014 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to add to the conspiracy, but these pictures might be of interest:

Quote:
Michael Hindes of West Springfield, MA, was sorting through boxes of his grandparents' old photographs when he happened upon 26 harrowing photos of the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster of 1986. To his knowledge, these photos have never been publicly released.

http://io9.com/long-forgotten-photographs-reveal-challenger-disaster-a-1501643134
markrkingston1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 100
PostPosted: 19-02-2014 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

WowBagger wrote:
Timble2 wrote:
They also found usable video tape and one of the biological experiments with the worms still alive inside it.

[...]
The videotape however does seem strange as it was from a handheld camera that had been passed around the crew during re-entry. Wikipedia (which is not always truthful) has the following to say:

"The video shows the flight-deck crew putting on their gloves and passing the video camera around in order to take footage of plasma and flames visible outside the windows of the orbiter (a completely normal occurrence), and ends approximately four minutes prior to the start of the shuttle's disintegration. On normal flights, the recording would have continued through landing. According to the online introduction given by Scott Altman, the remainder of the tape was destroyed in the accident."

I have been meaning for several years now to put on record somewhere my thoughts about this video tape, so why not here and now.

If it was normal practice to keep the camera running all the way to landing, then it is likely that it recorded the events immediately preceding the breakup and the breakup itself. Presumably the camera would have been disabled almost instantly once it hit the hypersonic air flow.

So... Was the last four minutes of tape really destroyed? It is somehow 'convenient' (for want of a better word) that it happened this way. All that we see in the surviving tape is the crew happily going about their normal business with no awareness of what is to come. It is a somehow pleasing scene, one that comes as a kind of mental relief to the viewer.

This being the only surviving part of the recording seems to me almost too good to be true. It is certainly plausible and yet... the cynic in me says it is just too good to be true.

I wonder if the tape in fact survived in viewable condition right to the end but those who found and reviewed it simply decide not to publicly reveal its contents (for entirely understandable reasons) and chose instead to say that it had been destroyed.

I have no evidence to suggest that this is the case but my gut instinct is nevertheless telling me that the story of the final minutes of the tape being destroyed is a cover story, a smoke screen designed to protect people from the horror of what was on it.

Time will probably tell (unless the the missing portion of tape really has been destroyed by those who chose to cover it up).
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5541
PostPosted: 20-02-2014 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem likely that if they had footage going up to the destruction of the orbiter, that NASA would only release a short clip, showing nothing of the actual disaster. The actual footage of the destruction would not be made available, if only to protect the families of the crew members.

It is less likely that they would lie about the tape finishing at that point. Not completely impossible, but less likely. For a start, if they had that footage, it would be invaluable in the inquiry into the accident, and would probably have been used as part of working out what happened. Then its existence would be a matter of public record, and it would be mentioned in the final report of the inquiry.

What I think is more likely, is that, as it was a video tape recorder, that the section of tape on the outside of the spool, which includes the most recently shot footage, would be more susceptible to damage than anything on the inner part of the spool. The older footage would be partly protected by the newer footage wrapped around it. This would have shielded it from the heat, and cushioned it from the physical trauma, either of which would damage the recording.

Given the circumstances, they're lucky they got anything at all. As you say, we may never know. I just don't see a reason for a cover up short of the Phoenix Force putting the crew in a protective egg and leaving them at the bottom of New York Harbour.
markrkingston1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 100
PostPosted: 21-02-2014 04:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anome_ wrote:
It is less likely that they would lie about the tape finishing at that point. Not completely impossible, but less likely. For a start, if they had that footage, it would be invaluable in the inquiry into the accident, and would probably have been used as part of working out what happened. Then its existence would be a matter of public record, and it would be mentioned in the final report of the inquiry.

This is a good point. Such a recording would have been tremendously useful.

Anome_ wrote:
What I think is more likely, is that, as it was a video tape recorder, that the section of tape on the outside of the spool, which includes the most recently shot footage, would be more susceptible to damage than anything on the inner part of the spool. The older footage would be partly protected by the newer footage wrapped around it. This would have shielded it from the heat, and cushioned it from the physical trauma, either of which would damage the recording.

Yup, this is what occurred to me. As you say, it concurs with the tape ending at the point it does.

Rationally speaking you make good points which I fully accept. And yet my gut feeling that the tape ending there is just too 'convenient' remains.

A 'cover up' (either in the form of material being held back in its entirety from the inquiry or in the form of material being submitted to the inquiry but then being excluded from official reports and from the bulk of the inquiry personnel) is definitely unlikely but not impossible or unprecedented[1].

Anome_ wrote:
Given the circumstances, they're lucky they got anything at all.

Agreed. I was most surprised when the footage was published.

Anome_ wrote:
I just don't see a reason for a cover up

Oh, as above and in the footnote below I can see plausible (and understandable) motivation for a cover up. I nevertheless fully accept that a cover up is unlikely and that I have no evidence for one. I just have a suspicion, a gut feeling, which I felt moved to write down.

Footnote:-
1: For example, I recall hearing about official inquiries (sorry, I cannot now recall references or contexts, which is not very helpful) into traumatic events where a few senior staff decided that certain materials that might objectively have been relevant should be excluded for reasons of protecting relatives of those involved. They (perhaps understandably) felt that it was the right thing to do, even though the excluded materials might have provided useful information if properly analysed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: