Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Unrequested Memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuckeyeJonesOffline
Dichotomous
Total posts: 338
PostPosted: 10-02-2009 06:16    Post subject: Unrequested Memories Reply with quote

Greetings,

I recently celebrated another trip around the Sun.
I had a very nice day.
By 2am I was alone, the rest of the house was asleep.
I was reflecting upon my life, when all of the sudden, I remembered a time I could have been killed when I was a small child.

That thought was the key to a flood of memories.

For the next 45mins or so, I relieved all the close calls I had in my life.
It was like the old saying, "My life flashed before my eyes!"

I will say that I was kind of caught off guard with this flood of memories.
To me this was a scarey thing.
I don't know about you all, but I have close to death a few times, it was very strange to recall all of it.
Sleep well. Wink

PEACE!

Buck
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8567
PostPosted: 10-02-2009 06:39    Post subject: Re: Unrequested Memories Reply with quote

BuckeyeJones wrote:
...I don't know about you all, but I have close to death a few times, it was very strange to recall all of it.

Yeah I have as well - I don't tend to remember the actual events so much as the odd, detached sensation, as if you're watching it all in slo-mo from a safe vantage point (which I think may be a neurological or psychological defence mechanism.) Occasionally I feel that exact sensation without warning, which does rather unnerve me as we all know that the nervous system picks up way more stuff than our conscious mind does, and that if it's recreating the sensation of near-death then perhaps it's for a damned good reason...

You're right, though, that in the dead of night in darkness and quiet I can't suppress memories or associated feelings. I guess if they need an out they find one, and solitude is probably the most conducive if not the most cathartic.
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1194
PostPosted: 10-02-2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a whole new area of resarch.

I was surprised to see a person reading this book on the train. I found the title so intriguing that I stopped to ask the man what it was all about. It looks interesting:

Google book link here
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25883
PostPosted: 25-03-2009 07:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we can shoe-horn this in here:

The memory man who can remember everything
Bob Petrella, a television producer, can recall almost everything he's ever done since the age of five.

Last Updated: 4:47PM GMT 24 Mar 2009

The 58-year-old from Los Angeles, USA, remembers up to half the days of his own life in shockingly vivid detail.

It was only when he put himself forward for a study about memory taking place at the University of California last year, that Bob's remarkable abilities became known to scientists.

He was diagnosed with a condition called hyperthymestia, meaning overdeveloped memory, sometimes dubbed as Super Autobiographical Memory, which has been discovered in just four people around the globe.

Scientists are still baffled as to how and why it happens and no cases have yet been recorded in the UK.

Mr Petrella recalls the day and date he first met a good friend, and all the conversations he's had on most days throughout the last 53 years.

He first discovered his amazing talent at primary school, when he could pass every test easily without even revising.

Mr Petrella, said: "I always had this amazing memory but I never liked to advertise it or boast to strangers.

"People often assume I have something called Savant syndrome, where people have an special gift such as a good memory, or they think I'm just lying.

"But this memory thing is just something I couldn't explain. It's something I've always lived with, so I'm just used to it.

"I remember things best when they interest me, whether that's sporting events, or historical or political dates, or just good days I've had in the past.

"I can remember between a quarter and half of every month since I was five."

He added: "I remember everyone's telephone number.

"I lost my cell phone on September 24, 2006.

"A lot of people would panic if they lost their phone because they have all these numbers stored in there.

"But didn't have any numbers in my cell phone because I have them stored in my head." Cool

Mr Petrella remembers the details of all of his birthdays since the age of five, apart from two, along with every New Year's Eve for the last forty years.

He can recall who won the main Oscar prizes every year since he began watching the ceremony in 1971.

Mr Petrella can tell you the day and date O.J was acquitted and what the score was in the Steelers Vs Dallas football game on August 31 1997.

"It was 37-7," he said without hesitation. "It was a Sunday."

The first person to emerge with Super Autobiographical Memory was Jill Price, also of Los Angeles, who wrote the book "The Woman Who Can't Forget."

The Centre for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory at the University of California launched a study of over 2,000 people trying to locate others with the condition and Mr Petrella was among three others discovered.

Doctors tested him with 60 questions that only those with super memory have a chance of answering.

Among the questions were: "What was the date and the location of the Palestinian guerillas' killing of Israeli athletes?" to which Mr Petrella replied correctly: "Munich, September 5, 1972."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5042704/The-memory-man-who-can-remember-everything.html
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9565
PostPosted: 25-03-2009 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, I wish I had a perfect memory like that.

But alas, I am cursed with a memory like a sieve and consequently I have a level of qualifications that doesn't match my intelligence. Which is why I am poor and unemployed right now... Sad
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8567
PostPosted: 25-03-2009 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
...But alas, I am cursed with a memory like a sieve ..

Sieves keep back the good stuff, and let all the crap fall out the bottom.

No, it's never got me anywhere much either, but it's a nice riposte Smile.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12979
PostPosted: 25-03-2009 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this chap has a perfect memory, how did he manage to lose his phone?
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 3495
PostPosted: 26-03-2009 01:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Ahhhh, I wish I had a perfect memory like that.

But alas, I am cursed with a memory like a sieve and consequently I have a level of qualifications that doesn't match my intelligence. Which is why I am poor and unemployed right now... Sad
I think there are a few things I'd be glad that I couldn't remember (if I could remember them).
amesterOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 226
PostPosted: 26-03-2009 01:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could imagine feeling overwhelmed with information, if I had such a super-powered memory.
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1194
PostPosted: 08-04-2009 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

Funes, the Memorious
By Jorge Luis Borges

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/borges.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: