Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
people who just... disappear
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swelleOffline
Grey
Total posts: 11
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 01:12    Post subject: people who just... disappear Reply with quote

I was just reading an article about the mysterious disappearance of a man called David Lang from Virginia in the 1880's... he was in an open field, going up to the wagon a Judge Peck, when he just disappeared, witnessed by his wife and two kids as well as the judge. What is the famous British disappearance of the fellow who walked around the team of horses, never to be seen again? What was his name? And are there any other noted disappearce cases I can look into (not missing people, but people who just VANISH.)?
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5698
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamin Bathurst was the 25 year old diplomat who disappeared
on November 25th, 1809 at an inn in Perleberg. Witnesses said he
walked around his horses on an otherwise deserted street and
disappeared.

The case of the man crossing a field has been traced back to a
story in Fate Magazine, 1953. One David Lang was named but
no census records or other documentary evidence has ever shown
the story to be other than fiction. It would appear to have been a
retelling of a tale by Ambrose Bierce. Ironically, Bierce himself
disappeared in 1913 when covering the rebellion of Pancho Villa in
Mexico.

Cases of people vanishing into thin air in front of reliable witnesses
are not easily found, sadly. Sad
naitakaOffline
Realistic action figure
Total posts: 432
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

Ironically, Bierce himself disappeared in 1913 when covering the rebellion of Pancho Villa in
Mexico.

The disappearance of Ambrose Bierce was followed a few years later by the disappearance of Canadian millionaire Ambrose Small.

http://www.torontoghosts.org/middlesex/ambrose.htm

It was these two cases that led Charles Fort to speculate that somebody was collecting Ambroses.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13575
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened, I'm told, to someone in my street, in the late 60s. She was a young mother of two little children and one morning her elder child, who was 3, was run over in the street, having wandered out through an open front door. Neighbours went to find little Kay's Ma but only the baby was there. Breakfast dishes were in the sink and the woman's coat and handbag were there, washing machine was on, but no Ma. She was never seen or heard of again. Her husband eventually remarried so she must have been declared dead at some point.

Both husband and second wife are now dead but I sometimes work with the second wife's daughter and will ask her some details when I think the time is right.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

naitaka wrote:

It was these two cases that led Charles Fort to speculate that somebody was collecting Ambroses.

It's possible, of course... when was the last time you met someone called Ambrose?!
rynner
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the Ambrose's are turned into Ambrosia....

Those old Gods were a nasty lot.
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2321
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where my brain unearths snippets of information without the necessary details, which I may or may not find later.

Wasn't there a case of a (English?) young lady who visited Paris with her mother some time during the 19th century. They were in separate rooms and the mother just disappeared. The hotel management denied all knowledge of the mother, and the room where she was staying had none of the mother's belongings in it. There were speculations that the mother had been suffering from plague, or some other deadly, infectious disease (and therefore the secrecy over her disappearance to avoid mass panic), but this never seemed plausible to me. I think a film was made loosely based on this story.

I'll look through my 'library' and see if I can turn up more specific details.

Carole
Anonymous
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

carole wrote:

Wasn't there a case of a (English?) young lady who visited Paris with her mother some time during the 19th century. They were in separate rooms and the mother just disappeared. The hotel management denied all knowledge of the mother, and the room where she was staying had none of the mother's belongings in it. There were speculations that the mother had been suffering from plague, or some other deadly, infectious disease (and therefore the secrecy over her disappearance to avoid mass panic), but this never seemed plausible to me. I think a film was made loosely based on this story.
Carole

The film was called "So Long at the Fair", I think. With Dirk Bogarde.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5698
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the story in many compilations of weird stuff but never
with a name for the girl or the hotel.

The RD Mysteries of the Unexplained volume is par for the course,
describing her as merely a distraught young Englishwoman who
came to the British Embassy in Paris one day in May 1889.

The source cited is The RD Strange Stories and Amazing Facts!

Anyone know of a none RD source for the tale?
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2321
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, RD is probably my source, James! Thanks for that, we can always rely on you:)

Carole
Anonymous
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Weir's spooky Australian film "Picnic at Hanging Rock" features some mysterious vanishings and missing time when a party of school kids visit an aborigine monument. There has been much debate over whether the events depicted were based on truth, to no solid conclusion. It's likely that it is a compound myth, based on many stories woven into one.
The Australian outback is a favoured place in which to disapppear, apparently, especially around the old aborigine sites.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 08-12-2001 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, as a wide-eyed kid I read in my Unexplained a story about a dead man that had appeared to "step out of nowhere in mid-air and plunged to his death". He was unidentified and had some drugs in his pocket that only a handful of doctors worldwide knew about. It was a case within the last forty years.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 09-12-2001 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder if these people who disappear into thin air are found later but we never hear of their re-emergence because why ruin a perfectly good yarn of spooky goings on or maybe the two stories are never married up. I base this sweeping assumption on reading in some paranormal book about a young lass who went missing in the 70's. The books authors tried to put a paranormal spin on her disappearance but the poor soul later turned up as one of Fred Wests victims.....................
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 844
PostPosted: 09-12-2001 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they tried to do with Christine Markham, a sad, abused and neglected child, who is, in all likelyhood buried under a shopping precinct, or in the Trent muds. I was about 5 or 6 when she vanished, and remember the police searching house to house and street by street for her

8¬)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 10-12-2001 05:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal Cain wrote:

Peter Weir's spooky Australian film "Picnic at Hanging Rock" features some mysterious vanishings and missing time when a party of school kids visit an aborigine monument. There has been much debate over whether the events depicted were based on truth, to no solid conclusion. It's likely that it is a compound myth, based on many stories woven into one.
The Australian outback is a favoured place in which to disapppear, apparently, especially around the old aborigine sites.

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" is, apparently, entirely fictional. There have been no newspaper stories, official reports, etc. to back up the story.
http://w3.one.net/~voyager/picnic.html

sureshot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: