Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
So What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5539
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 04:18    Post subject: So What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs? Reply with quote

Here are three of mine to start this thread:

1. There are two huge wooden boards out in the middle of the ocean, slimy with seaweed and yoked together by great iron hinges. These boards rhythmically slap together, over and over, creating the tides.

2. The only difference between common yellow clay and solid gold is that the latter has been steeped in water for a very long time.

3. The most intelligent man in the world was a mathematician named Frankenstein, who had been raised from the dead by science so he could build the atomic bomb.
JahoosafatOffline
No Longer Interested.
Total posts: 43
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 05:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believed that whenever the police caught a "bad guy" they put him in the back of the traffic lights and kept him there to turn them on and off.

Also believed for a while that lemonade was simply made of water and bubble bath. Quickly found out this wasn't true with a little home experimenting.

Last edited by Jahoosafat on 28-01-2006 06:39; edited 1 time in total
svartOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 101
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 06:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahoosafat wrote:
I believed that whenever the poloce caught a "bad guy" they put him in the back of the traffic lights and kept him there to turn them on and off.

Laughing
You mean they don't? Then how do traffic lights work? confused
JahoosafatOffline
No Longer Interested.
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 07:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

They now have trained monkeys
graylien
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 09:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in infant's school, I somehow got the idea into my head that a rather elaborate war memorial in the local park was, in fact, the tomb of Jesus.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18648
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believed that watermills had an engine inside which turned the wheel and moved the stream along.

I obviously hadn't thought this through, when you consider how paddle steamers and windmills work. Laughing

The ex-husband, though - a high school science teacher with responsiblilites for sex education - believed until his early 20s that a woman's breasts grew bigger every time a man felt them. So a large-breasted woman must have been very naughty indeed. Shocked
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the Sixties, I really believed that things could only get better. Crying or Very sad
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7124
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've mentioned it before, but I though that little people lived inside the TVs and performed all the programmes. They got into the TV by crawling through the cable which was in fact hollow. (In my defence, I was about four at the time)
fluffle9Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 979
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I thought I was a boy. There was certainly some kind of confusion there.

I thought that my mum's name was really Mum. I thought she'd been called by her own name before she had me, and then changed her name to Mum. She told us that she was 21, which I didn't believe, but my brother believed it and told everyone at school.
JahoosafatOffline
No Longer Interested.
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I also believed that things were going to get better, I came home tonight, half full. I had been playing my regular game of texas hold'em tonight. I didn't win, but I did better than I normally do. I got home, and "Deep Rising" is on the TV. Cool, I thibk, a good bad movie is on. This night is going sweet. Then as I'm reading this thread I feel a cockroach crawl over my foot. A really big one too. I have to agree. Life really is only going to get worse isn't it. The sooner I accept this, the happier I can be. I sprayed shitloads of bugspray. Now I can Here the bastard dying. Damn hell of a way to fininsh a good night,

Ithink my point is

I use to think alcohol made adults have a good time, now I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Jahoosafat on 28-01-2006 15:20; edited 1 time in total
colpepper1
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother told me the pigeons on the roof opposite were crows who listened to my every word. Not good for mental health and youthful development.
Her hard core catholic beliefs were mixed with a degree of animism, such as turning the mirrors around and putting the cutlery away in a thunderstorm. Basically there were warnings or interdictions for just about everything.
JahoosafatOffline
No Longer Interested.
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

colpepper1 wrote:
My mother told me the pigeons on the roof opposite were crows who listened to my every word. Not good for mental health and youthful development.
Her hard core catholic beliefs were mixed with a degree of animism, such as turning the mirrors around and putting the cutlery away in a thunderstorm. Basically there were warnings or interdictions for just about everything.

wow, and I thought I was a bit weird.
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4205
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother told me (when he was about 7 and I was 4) that if you set foot on the sun, you'd become taffy.
TheQuixoteOffline
Total posts: 4085
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to believe that I was found under a gooseberry bush - as this is what you would tell an inquisitive child asking where they 'came from' in my local area. A cruel brother also had me thinking I was adopted for the better part of my childhood by using this against me as whenever I asked my parents, I would get this reply. I didn't find my birth certificate until I was 11.

I also believed that attending fitness classes would automatically make you pregnant as my mother would also say that everytime she went to a fitness class or lose weight, she would fall pregnant.

It took me some time to realise the full implications behind that one.
bigphoot1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 899
PostPosted: 28-01-2006 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about five we were told that an inspector was coming to our school and we had to be on our best behaviour as he had very sharp eyes. I had nightmares for ages about someone with long spikes for eyes.

My friend's daughter came up with a lovely one recently. We were in the car park of a large superstore and she was staring up at the high lamp posts. Then she turned to me and said "Is that what they use to hold up the sky?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Urban Legends/Folklore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: