Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
look-a-likes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustysblanketOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 10:43    Post subject: look-a-likes Reply with quote

Hi All

This is my 1st post on here so please bear with me and be gentle.

Has anyone got any info or stories about look-a-likes?
My intrest began about 4 years ago when my Granma passed away. We went along to the residental home she had been living in after suffering a stroke and were collecting her belongings. When I got home with my Mum and were goimg though the box my Mum came across a picture and said " Heres one of you and your gran , you might as well keep it. " . She gave me the picture and my jaw dropped as there as large as life was a guy who looked the double of me in the crowd at a garden party type event watching as my Gran collected a prize on stage!!

I was shocked as I knew it wasn't me, but couldn't escape the fact that he looked , dressed and even ' stood ' like I would. I took the photo home and showed it to my girlfriend to see her reaction and she said the same as my mum , that it was a nice picture of me and my Gran. I explained it wasn't me and she didn't believe me! Although she came round when I explained that although he looked and dressed like me I don't have those exact clothes in my wardrobe. The best way to discribe it is my double had a simalar dress sense as me. ( i have since said the double is my ' tribute ' act )

I later returned to the home to find out more about the picture and spoke with the nurse who took it. She was 100% certain it was me and even said hello to ' me ' as she went round taking pictures of the event. She finished by saying it was nice I could have made it as it was only took less than a week before my Granma passed away. When I explained the error she just made out I was confused due to grief. Finally to prove this to myself I went in to the security at work to confirm I had been there on that day and not lost a day somewhere.

Not the strangest of storys but everytime I see that picture I get a falling sensation in my stomach and a feeling that something is very wrong.

I would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone else has had experiences the same as that.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2249
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a good IHTM!

My first reaction was the same as above....you must have been there!
However, if the work security log says otherwise....

Are the work records 100% accurate? Could you have clocked-in, logged-in etc. and then left early and not booked-out? Could someone else have clocked you in?

If not, that is one strange story.
AMPHIARAUS
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Roger Moore film "The Man Who Haunted Himself"

I love old photosand have noticed when checking out Victorian family or crowd scenes that I see the familiar faces of people I know now.

I think perhaps we all fit into a set of physical 'types' and if we look enough we will see near dopplegangers for most people.

You aren't one half of adopted twins are you?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18653
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have threads on this but it's nice to see the subject discussed afresh. Very Happy

The day I met our Techy, he showed me a painting which a friend of his had done for him, of an imaginary girl with Tarot cards.
It was the image of my eldest daughter, whom he'd never met. Shocked

It had been painted a few years before, when she was just a child, but it resembled her in her late teens: or rather, it portrayed an image of how she rather fancied herself, as a mysteriously occult spirit-girl... Wink

Everyone who sees it thinks it's a portrait of her.
rustysblanketOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Now that is a good IHTM!

My first reaction was the same as above....you must have been there!
However, if the work security log says otherwise....

Are the work records 100% accurate? Could you have clocked-in, logged-in etc. and then left early and not booked-out? Could someone else have clocked you in?

If not, that is one strange story.

I worked in the maintenace dept of a building society head office and almost every door was sealed with a ' mag-lock ' door that required you to swipe each and everytime you use them. Also the security dept computers logged everytime you used a door. I have seen my log for that day and I was in work and it logged everytime I used any doors. In some areas the doors even had a pin number that was only known to me so I had to be there to open the doors.

I agree it is strange. I will dig the pic out when I get home and scan it along side a photo of me at the time to post and show everyone. But the photo is eerie and not one that I like looking at. I think since seeing it I have a subconcious dread now that there is a ' evil twin ' out there! And in the same geographic location to boot.

I often wonder if my ' tribute act ' also has put on 2 stone of weight when he quit smoking? LOL Shocked
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2249
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a true mystery then.

Get that bloody scanner warmed-up man!
rustysblanketOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Ah, a true mystery then.

Get that bloody scanner warmed-up man!

As soon as I get home tomorrow I will dig the pic out along with a suitable pic of myself at the time.

But does this undermine the whole question of doppelgangers ( that word always sounds like some dodgey dutch ' art film ' ) because i am trying to find a pic that matches the one with my double in?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14806
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be useful to get your hands on any other photos taken the same day in the same place, but that's probably impossible now. It would have been good if you could have seen this doppelganger from another angle to see if they still looked identical to you or it was an unintentional trick of the lens.
rasputinOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be one of 3 options the way I see it;

a) a doppleganger from another dimension.
b) an identical twin that you never knew you had.
c) it was you, you just don't remember and your work have the wrong information logged about your being there.

I don't know which of the three is more likely but what a great IHTM!
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7124
PostPosted: 03-07-2009 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) Could be a projection, a sort of living ghost.
katrinkaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 05-07-2009 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminded me of an incident that happened to me many years ago when I was a teenager. A friend and I were walking home from the local swimming pool one summer afternoon. We were about to pass by a man working in his front yard when he stopped us to ask in a very puzzled manner, "Didn't I just see you girls go by?!"

We said no -- he'd just seen our identical twin sisters go by. Yes, we each had an identical twin, we'd all been at the pool together, and each set of twins was dressed very similarly. But our twin sisters got a head start on walking home together.
Blinko_GlickOffline
slightly warm
Total posts: 312
Location: Sitting on the porch of insanity with a nice Pimms don't you know?
PostPosted: 05-07-2009 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught sight of a woman I used to work with a couple of weekends ago at a campsite. But I didn't go up to say hello, as she's the spitting image of Helen Adams from Big Brother 2 and I couldn't actually be sure which one she was.

Confused
kittyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 40
PostPosted: 05-07-2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similer happend to me.A few years ago when i was still living at my mums house i was cleaning my teeth in the bathroom which is directly facing my bedroom when i got the wierdest feeling, so i turned round to see myself standing in my bedroom. I didnt have a mirror in there and the 'other me' was wearing different clothes. It definatly made me freak then it just moved and vanished. A couple of days later i walked up the stairs to find my mum chatting away in her bedroom and when she saw me she looked really odd and said how did you get down stairs i just saw you in your bedroom i was talking to you.
I hadnt told her about what id seen.
But you definatly have to show us this photo. This is a great IHTM definatly one to get everyone thinking.
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1129
PostPosted: 06-07-2009 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic story. Who else was in the photographs? Any other family members?

I'm busy re-reading all my Sherlock Holmes collection and this is a case for Holmes if ever there was one.

The solution would no doubt involve a separated at birth twin possibly due to some sort of unforseen danger. Or an imposter, trying to get at an inheritance probably.

Either way, they'd dash somewhere in a hansom and eat a cold supper on The Strand. You could always try that, if that's any help to you.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1529
PostPosted: 07-07-2009 20:13    Post subject: Re: look-a-likes Reply with quote

rustysblanket wrote:
She was 100% certain it was me and even said hello to ' me ' as she went round taking pictures of the event. She finished by saying it was nice I could have made it as it was only took less than a week before my Granma passed away.

Perhaps, you just bi-located: you needed to be in two places at once, so you were.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: