Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Pope Francis I
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 05:26    Post subject: Pope Francis I Reply with quote

Soooo - the new Pope is the first South American, the first Jesuit and the first Francis. Not a bad start as such and certainly a surprise.

Quote:
It's been described by one expert as "the most stunning choice", because of its links to St Francis of Assisi, the 13th-century reformer who lived in poverty and told followers: "Preach the Gospel always; if necessary, use words."

Just like there's been no Pope Peter since the first one in 33AD, so too did incoming pontiffs shy away from the name Francis – because St Francis' deeds were seen as "irrepeatable".

"The new pope is sending a signal that this will not be business as usual," Vatican expert John Allen told CNN.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/popes-stunning-name-choice-an-intriguing-first-20130314-2g29x.html#ixzz2NULxbzEH

Whatever all that means, he certainly isn't "Peter the Roman" and was only an outside chance. The media will certainly try to dig up any dirt they may find - and one accusation has surfaced already, being that he somehow he somehow colluded with the Argentine Military Dictatorship back in the 70s. See this Wikipedia article (under Relations with the Argentine government. Murky stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Bergoglio

Sooo - thoughts, theories, conspiracies anyone?
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 08:14    Post subject: Re: Pope Francis I Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:
...Sooo - thoughts, theories, conspiracies anyone?

Well, the fact that he's a Jesuit is probably going to be enough for some people to see a conspiracy, not least quite a few Catholics. Jesuit conspiracy theories were awfully popular at one time, but have recently been relegated to the back-burner by upstarts like the Bilderberg Group. Amongst many other things they apparently sank the Titanic. (Link here for anyone who can be bothered.)

So, from a Fortean point of view we are therefore probably about to see an upsurge in Jesuit related conspiracy theories to add to all the others. Won't that be great? sighs

It will be interesting to see what his relationship to the última junta militar was. Ultra-catholicism has played a large part in instigating and maintaining the darker periods of Argentina's past. (I'd recommend Uki Goñi's, The Real Odessa - it's not solely about that relationship, but there are many examples of it.)
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 5371
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 09:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is he with it?

We need a with it pope, young would be nice but there are plenty of old swingers around.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1852
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 09:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we need a Pope? I don't Smile
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 613
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in good company, the 1st Bishop of Rome denied knowing Jesus 3 times before the cock crowed.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Amongst many other things they apparently sank the Titanic. (Link here for anyone who can be bothered.)

Why do I click on thee things?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21454
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
Quote:
Amongst many other things they apparently sank the Titanic. (Link here for anyone who can be bothered.)

They murdered JPI.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26199
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've gone from a pope who was in the Hitler youth, to one who hobnobbed with a vile military junta! You couldn't make this up!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

More at link. Benny wasn't in a position to do much about the nazis but Franky as an adult and Jesuit Provincial collaborated with the Junta.

Quote:
A Subpoena For Pope Francis?
http://thebrokenelbow.com/2013/03/13/a-subpoena-for-pope-francis/
Posted on March 13, 2013 | 2 Comments
(UPDATED 20:58 EST)

Looks like Mother Church has screwed up big time. Hardly had the words “Habemus Papem” been uttered from the balcony above Vatican Square before Argentinian journalists were linking the new Pope, Francis 1, aka former Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, to the Argentinian Generals’ dirty war against various leftists, liberals and anti-government activists during the 1970?s.

New Pope, Francis 1, has a troubled history during the years of the Argentinian junta
That war embraced torture, kidnapping, murder, the abduction and selling of children and, of course, the disappearing of opponents, the latter being something that the people of Ireland are not unfamiliar with. Thirty thousand people were “disappeared” by the junta – the so-called Desaparecidos – and their plight made the Troubles in Ireland look like a pillow fight at Harry Potter’s boarding school.

Those were the days when the Jesuits were more likely to be preaching the essential Christianity of liberation theology to the poor in places like Latin America than running $600 million a year colleges in the north-eastern seaboard of the United States.

Jesuit priests were often in the forefront of the struggle against the likes of the Argentine junta and sometimes they paid the ultimate price. A great pity then, that at the time Jesuit priests could not always rely upon their superiors for support in their dangerous defiance of the Generals’ brutality, superiors like Jorge Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires.

The Guardian is tonight reporting this about the former archbishop and now new Pope’s activities in Argentina at the time the Generals ruled the country with an iron fist:

In his book, El Silencio, a prominent Argentinian journalist (Horacio Verbitsky) alleged that he (the new Pope) connived in the abduction of two Jesuit priests by the military junta in the so-called “dirty war”. He denies the accusation.

The same paper’s respected foreign correspondent Hugh O’Shaughnessy, an expert on Latin America’s history and politics, takes this allegation a step further and writes that Bergoglio covered up for the Argentine Navy, hiding political prisoners away on his island retreat, appropriately called El Silencio, so that a visiting Inter-America Human Rights Commission delegation would not discover one of the junta’s dirty secrets.

View this document on Scribd

It remains to be seen how consequential this history will get for the new pontiff but if anyone is serious about plumbing the bottom of this affair how about serving him with a subpoena to surrender all his records of that time? After all we can’t have alleged criminals believing that even the passage of forty years since their alleged offences means they will get away with it. No sir!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is a lot of conspiraloon stuff out there. This starts promisingly but degenerates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyFQ9pX9ETs
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 15-03-2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
oldrover wrote:
Quote:

They murdered JPI.

As long as they leave JPR alone it'll be fine.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 714
PostPosted: 15-03-2013 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that if you add up the letters in his name, it spells cxoswbr.

Now I've never heard of CXOSWBR before, but it obviously stands for "Cyrillic Xylophones Often Start With a Backwards R" which, as we all know, refers to the secret initiation rite for the Scotch-Bonnet Plugaroons, who obviously plan to steal the sugar packets from diners and pubs everywhere to complete their unholy mission of global domination...

...of...

...sugar....

(I couldn't help myself)

Laughing
PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 63
PostPosted: 16-03-2013 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got a conspiracy theory. I think this new pope is head of an organisation that serves its own ends, while maintaining a facade of benevolence, by brainwashing millions of people into believing they're being watched and judged by a non-existent entity. I believe this organisation protects its own agents with lies and secrets, even when they act abominably, and maintains elitism at the expense of often desperately poor subjects. It sounds crazy and paranoid, I know, but you just wait and see!
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1025
PostPosted: 16-03-2013 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulTaylor wrote:
I think I've got a conspiracy theory. I think this new pope is head of an organisation that serves its own ends, while maintaining a facade of benevolence, by brainwashing millions of people into believing they're being watched and judged by a non-existent entity. I believe this organisation protects its own agents with lies and secrets, even when they act abominably, and maintains elitism at the expense of often desperately poor subjects. It sounds crazy and paranoid, I know, but you just wait and see!

Finally, someone else who can see "the truth" Wink Laughing
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 16-03-2013 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulTaylor wrote:

I think you might be onto something there. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: