Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Buddhism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 16-02-2007 22:00    Post subject: Buddhism Reply with quote

Amazingly, we don't seem to have any threads on this at all.

And of course there's a lot to say about this philosophy (it's not really a religion, after all).

The reason I mention it is that it has cropped up unexpectedly in a whodunnit I'm reading right now.

An old dairy farmer in NY state (not the main character in the book) falls in love with a woman interested in Buddhism, and decides to become a bodhisattva to get her attention. Shocked
(yes, it's ridiculous to follow a desire by embracing a philosophy that tries to eliminate desire, but the book is written humourously and sympathetically.)

Another reason to mention this is a couple of synchronicities associated with my reading of the book.

Today i unexpectedly received a cheque - and a clue in the book involved the murder victim cashing cheques.

And this is the third book I've read in succession that mentions the Holland tunnel in NYC.

---------------------------------

When i was in junior school (many decades ago!), I had a teacher who (i now suspect, with the benefit of hindsight) was sympathetic to buddhism. I'm sure i remember her teaching us something about breathing through one nostril at a time, which sounds like a yoga exercise. And i think I may have picked up from her a disdain for worldly goods... (Anyhow, that's how I explain my relative poverty!)

Any other thoughts about or experiences of buddhism?

Last edited by rynner on 17-02-2007 08:12; edited 1 time in total
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
Total posts: 1940
PostPosted: 17-02-2007 00:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Buddhist - but what is this Bhuddism, of which you speak?
rynner
PostPosted: 17-02-2007 08:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrose_Selavy wrote:
I'm a Buddhist - but what is this Bhuddism, of which you speak?

Doh! Embarassed

(spelling now corrected)
ArthurASCIIOffline
Hello Playmates
Total posts: 2894
PostPosted: 17-02-2007 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as the reincarnated essence of the redoubtable Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, I can assure you that us enlightened ones have transcended the odious yoke of "correct" spelling.

Just read a couple of my posts if you need proof.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19692
PostPosted: 17-02-2007 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I have nothing against Buddhism per se. I dont like the Dali Lamas attitude to LGBT rights but he doesnt speak for all Buddhists.

Remember:

He ain't heavy, hes my Buddha.
BuckeyeJonesOffline
Dichotomous
Total posts: 412
PostPosted: 18-02-2007 00:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

To seek the innards of you soul is a good thing.

PEACE!
=^..^=217
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1484
PostPosted: 18-02-2007 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of Buddhism are we talking about or just general Buddhism?

I would also like to point out that Buddhism is held to be religion by nearly every authority.

The idea that Buddhism isn't a religion comes from the rather wooly thinking of the 1960s/70's New Agers who wanted it to seem better and more infallible than the established western religions. In the process they seem to have blotted out most of the equally bloody history of the Far East.
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
PostPosted: 18-02-2007 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmrjmrjm wrote:
What type of Buddhism are we talking about or just general Buddhism?

I would also like to point out that Buddhism is held to be religion by nearly every authority.

The idea that Buddhism isn't a religion comes from the rather wooly thinking of the 1960s/70's New Agers who wanted it to seem better and more infallible than the established western religions. In the process they seem to have blotted out most of the equally bloody history of the Far East.

In the widest sense of the meaning of the word, it can certainly be said to be a religion but Is it possible to be a Jew and a Christian? Or a Muslim and a Christian? It is quite possible to be a Christian and a Buddhist. etc. It is non theistic.
There are no creation myths in the original teachings of the Buddha . The Buddha was not a God nor did he invoke Gods.
-
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1484
PostPosted: 18-02-2007 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be non-theistic and have no creation myths but it does deal explicitly with a higher more spiritual state (nirvana), relies heavily on ritual, statues, prayers, requires its followers to change their behavior to follow it's teachings and has a collection of holy scripts (in the agamas) which are used in ritual practices.

I'm sure that this qualifies it as a religion.

I know that in Roman Catholicism it would be probably heretical to be a Catholic and a Buddhist, not sure about other denomonations.

EDIT: I understand what you mean, you can be a practicing Catholic and follow Buddhist meditations or Zen (Thomas Merton) but you cannot say; be a Christian Monk and a Buddhist Monk at the same time. Equally a buddhist could refrain from eating meat on a Friday - still doesn't mean he's Catholic. Smile If you see what I mean. Very Happy

N.B. It is entirely possible to be a Jew and a Christian. But i'll forgive you Smile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Christians#Contemporary_Jewish_Christians
QuaziWashboardOffline
Geriatric, Reeking of Urine, Senile,
Total posts: 573
PostPosted: 19-02-2007 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.
Now..I know sod all about Buddhism really so if this question makes me look silly, just put it down to me being uneducated. Wink
This re-incarnation thing, I've heard that if you don't find Krishna or something when you die, then you have to start out as the lowest form of life and go though every form of life until you become human again, which, it is reckoned, will take thousands of years, yet many people who believe in re-incarnation site people who remember past lives from anything from a few hundred years to just a few years ago as proof of it's existance, which obviously doesn't make sense.
Can anyone explain this, or have I just got my facts wrong?
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
PostPosted: 19-02-2007 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past and future lives aspect is one who is very difficult to comprehend - and I don't pretend to have grasped it .

A lot of it are embellishments by later followers and explanations tailored to a particular society - eg you get states of mind expressed as deities or creatures in Tibetan images or is expressed in terms which seem like the threat of a Christian Purgatory "You better do this or you'll end up coming back as a worm etc" or perhaps a rather crude metaphor for karma - of which there are several types -

-
QuaziWashboardOffline
PostPosted: 19-02-2007 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrose_Selavy wrote:
The past and future lives aspect is one who is very difficult to comprehend - and I don't pretend to have grasped it .

A lot of it are embellishments by later followers and explanations tailored to a particular society - eg you get states of mind expressed as deities or creatures in Tibetan images or is expressed in terms which seem like the threat of a Christian Purgatory "You better do this or you'll end up coming back as a worm etc" or perhaps a rather crude metaphor for karma - of which there are several types -

-

Ahh, right...so who's Krishna?
Rrose_SelavyOffline
Exquisite Elemental
PostPosted: 19-02-2007 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuaziWashboard wrote:
Rrose_Selavy wrote:

-

A Hindu deity -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

-
QuaziWashboardOffline
PostPosted: 20-02-2007 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rrose_Selavy wrote:
QuaziWashboard wrote:
Rrose_Selavy wrote:

-

A Hindu deity -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

-

So, is this 'Hindu deity' worshiped by Buddhists?
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
Total posts: 1914
PostPosted: 20-02-2007 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddhism is to Hinduism sort of what Christianity is to Judeaism (there are a million and one ways to pick holes in that statement, but basically Buddha was a Hindu, and, simplistically put, Buddhism is kind of Hinduism without the orthadoxy and social hierarchy). The two have a close relationship and an uneasy history together. I think the Hindus consider Buddha as being an avatar of Vishnu. Depending on the flavour, various schools of Buddhism recognise various gods on various planes.

As for 'finding Krisna when you die', I'm not so sure that's anyone's plan. In both philosophies the basic 'ultimate aim' is to sort out yer karma and let go of all attachments whilst alive in order to avoid reincarnation after death. The Buddhists seem to take this a bit more seriously as far as I can tell. For them the world is sorrow and getting off the wheel is the main plan, in Hinduism, while this is still the main motivation, there are other drives to be satisfied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: