Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Strange Religious Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26207
PostPosted: 23-05-2014 08:26    Post subject: Strange Religious Ideas Reply with quote

Conchita Wurst caused Balkan floods after Eurovision win, say church leaders
Conchita Wurst is responsible for the flooding in the Balkans that left over 50 people dead, according to church leaders
By Our Foreign Staff
6:33PM BST 22 May 2014

Conchita Wurst is responsible for flooding that left over 50 people dead earlier this month, church leaders in the Balkans have claimed.
The Austrian drag artist, whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth, seized international attention after winning Eurovision 2014 with his hit Rise Like a Phoenix.

However, several church leaders have now claimed the recent devastating flooding across the Balkans, which was the worst in a century and left over 50 people dead, was "divine punishment" for Conchita's victory.
"This [flood] is not a coincidence, but a warning," Patriarch Amfilohije of Montenegro said, according to e.novine.com. "God sent the rains as a reminder that people should not join the wild side."

Patriarch Irinej, the spiritual leader of Eastern Orthodox Serbs, reportedly said the floods were "divine punishment for their vices" and that "God is thus washing Serbia of its sins".
The Russian Orthodox Church has previously described Conchita as an "abomination" and that his victory was "one more step in the rejection of the Christian identity of European culture".

Speaking about her look on the Graham Norton Show, Conchita said: "It's my own truth. It makes me comfortable on stage. I love myself and the bearded lady is fun and expresses everything I feel."

The Balkan flooding caused widespread devastation, forcing almost 150,000 people from their homes.
Towns and villages in Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia have been swamped, homes have been swept away by landslides, electricity has been cut off and vast tracts of farmland remain under water.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/serbia/10850219/Conchita-Wurst-caused-Balkan-floods-after-Eurovision-win-say-church-leaders.html

EDIT: Thread title changed.

Last edited by rynner2 on 23-05-2014 09:38; edited 1 time in total
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 23-05-2014 09:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Eurovision win caused floods, goodness knows what effect a giant whale might have!

Giant whale banned from Queen’s parks for being ‘religious’
Royal Parks officials refuse children’s fun day on theme of Jonah because it is deemed to be a “religious observance”
By John Bingham, Religious Affairs Editor
3:11PM BST 22 May 2014

A giant inflatable whale used for pirate shows and re-enactments of the story of Jonah has been banned from the Royal Parks because of its “religious” undertones.

Officials turned down applications to hold a children’s fun day based on the Bible story at either Hyde Park or Greenwich Park in London claiming it could be classed as an act of “religious observance”.
Although managed by a Government agency, the Royal Parks are owned by the Queen, who is Supreme Governor of the Church of England.
The Queen is also patron of the Bible Society, the charity which applied to stage the whale fun day. Very Happy

It comes just a month after David Cameron insisted that the UK is a “Christian country” and said Britain should be unashamedly “evangelical” about its religious identity.

But it is the second time in six weeks that the Society has been refused permission to beach the life-sized PVC whale, which is owned by a circus troupe, in a London park.
In March an application to hold the event at the Potters Field, close to Tower Bridge, was also turned down after the site's management company claimed it would be breaching its lease by allowing a “religious” event.

The Bible Society, whose founders include William Wilberforce, exists to encourage reading of the Bible but insists it does not promote any specific religious teaching.
It has been running a campaign called “Pass it on” – timed to tie in with the release of a series of Hollywood Biblical blockbusters such as Noah – encouraging parents to read Bible stories to their children.
The aim is to help reintroduce a new generation of children to once familiar stories.

The charity is hoping to stage activities for children during the school summer holidays and has arranged to hire a 50ft sperm whale, which children can explore inside.
Actors have been lined up to play Jonah and other characters in the Old Testament story.

Following the previous refusal, organisers applied to both Greenwich Park and Hyde Park. Last week an official wrote to the society refusing the Greenwich Park application remarking: “We do not allow events of a religious nature.
“Its [sic] part of our rules and regulations.”

A few days later, a separate official replied, turning down the application for the event in Hyde Park explaining: “We do not permit any religious observances in the Royal Parks, either in their own right or as part of a demonstration.”

When the charity replied that it appeared to amount to “discrimination against people of faith”, the official said: “As a Government agency, it is not the place of the Royal Parks to make value judgements between one religious observance and another.
“We must either permit all collective religious observances or refuse them all. Our approach is to continue to refuse all such observances.”

James Catford, chief executive of the Bible Society, said: “At Bible Society, we never seek to impose the Bible on anyone.
“Our mission is about inviting everyone to experience Scripture and consider it thoughtfully – we offer the Bible to the world.
“Telling the story of Jonah to children, inside a giant inflatable whale, is intended to be a free, fun event over the Summer.

“The Bible is packed full with some of the greatest stories ever told. We believe that every child is entitled to encounter the Bible. It's a matter of justice.
“We're not about proselytising. Children and adults are free to make up their own minds about the Bible.
“We can't see that there’s any reasonable basis for Royal Parks to discriminate against us in this way.”

In a statement, the Royal Parks agency said: “We do not permit collective acts of worship or other religious observances in The Royal Parks, including the construction of structures with a religious significance.
"We seek to strike a balance between the quiet relaxation that the parks provide and events which appeal to a wide audience.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10849524/Giant-whale-banned-from-Queens-parks-for-being-religious.html#source=refresh
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2921
PostPosted: 23-05-2014 21:33    Post subject: Re: Strange Religious Ideas Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Conchita Wurst caused Balkan floods after Eurovision win, say church leaders
Conchita Wurst is responsible for the flooding in the Balkans that left over 50 people dead, according to church leaders
By Our Foreign Staff
6:33PM BST 22 May 2014

Conchita Wurst is responsible for flooding that left over 50 people dead earlier this month, church leaders in the Balkans have claimed.
The Austrian drag artist, whose real name is Thomas Neuwirth, seized international attention after winning Eurovision 2014 with his hit Rise Like a Phoenix.

I say we demonstrate our 21st century enlightened ideals by burning the bearded witch/warlock as soon as we've reached a consensus on what he - or -she is and whether the traditional witch ducking stool or the warlock fiery trebuchet should be factored into the strange, unusual punishment we have planned.
(mind you...whatever we have in mind - it has nothing on those fucked-up executioners of Tennesee...and the fact that people keep going for it sure proves it works!)

Last edited by jimv1 on 23-05-2014 23:33; edited 1 time in total
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 23-05-2014 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

A giant inflatable whale used for pirate shows and re-enactments of the story of Jonah has been banned from the Royal Parks because of its “religious” undertones.

Ironically, if you passed it off as a giant sex aid, it would sail through in Brighton.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1880
PostPosted: 24-05-2014 08:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

We laugh at such ideas, but this is dangerous magical thinking that can get ugly when anyone the buggers don't like can be accused of being responsible for anything, with neither evidence required as proof, nor any evidence that can stand as proof against. Evil or Very Mad
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13648
PostPosted: 24-05-2014 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
We laugh at such ideas, but this is dangerous magical thinking that can get ugly when anyone the buggers don't like can be accused of being responsible for anything, with neither evidence required as proof, nor any evidence that can stand as proof against. Evil or Very Mad

Absolutely. Spot-on, well said.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 07-09-2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this, but here seems as good as anywhere!

Umpire banned from officiating church cricket match because of religious ancestry
An experienced umpire says he is baffled at a decision to not allow him to umpire a church cricket match because of fears his religious ancestry could make him biased as he asks if all officials will have to pass a faith test
By Claire Carter
1:57PM BST 07 Sep 2014

A councillor and cricket enthusiast has been told he cannot umpire a church match because of fears he may not be ‘theologically neutral’ as his great-great grandfather was a bishop. Shocked

Michael Claughton, who has 18 years’ experience as a cricket umpire, offered to officiate the match between the Church of England XI and Vatican XI, due to take place later this month.
But he said he was left baffled after officials said he could not be considered for the charity because they wanted to ensure it was theologically “neutral” and they feared his ancestry could make him biased against the Catholic team.

Mr Claughton’s great-great grandfather is Thomas Leigh Claughton, who was the Bishop of Rochester and of St Albans in the 19th century. He was also professor of poetry at Oxford University between 1852 and 1857 and died in 1892.

When Mr Claughton, 65, saw an advert for the church cricket match he contacted the Church Times, which has organised the game, to offer his services. He told organisers about his religious ancestry, because he knew this was a church match, and later received a call back to inform him his offer had been rejected.
“A very nice lady said ‘I’m afraid we are going to have to decline because we have decided the umpires could not have any religious background, not Church of England or Roman Catholic,’” he said.
“She said the Roman Catholics may consider me to be biased.

“I found it utterly baffling that they could not accept me, with 18 years’ experience as an umpire, because of this. I’ve played cricket to a reasonably high standard, I’m president of a village club, I’ve umpired for Ashford and now umpire for Wye in the Kent County League.
It sets a worrying precedent. Do they only want atheists? Where do you stop? Have you got to have a faith test to be an umpire?

Mr Claughton, who is a councillor in Ashfield, says he believes in God but has not held any positions within the church like his great-great grandfather.
He said he was disappointed with the decision and surprised by the response from organisers.

He added: “The greatest unfulfilled ambition of my life is to never have opened the batting for England.
“My offer was made in good faith and it would have been a huge honour to umpire the match. I just don’t know how they are going to find these umpires, are they going to ask people what faith they are?”

The Twenty20 match is due to take place on September 19 to raise awareness of slavery across the world and fundraise for the Global Freedom Network.
It has been organised by the Anglican weekly newspaper The Church Times and Kent County Cricket Club.

Paul Handley, editor of Church Times, said: "We wanted to be careful that the match is seen to be completely fairly played."
He said the match should be umpired by someone who is 'theologically neutral', adding: "It's possibly the first ever match where the umpire has got a faith test to get through.
"Both teams will be trying to win, we aren't expecting any sledging. Cool
"The whole project is to show how the two churches are together.
"There's absolutely no question of Michael Claughton's skill as an umpire or his honesty. We just thought it would be a nice way of showing everybody this is neutral."

The match will be played at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence in Canterbury at 4pm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11079990/Umpire-banned-from-officiating-church-cricket-match-because-of-religious-ancestry.html
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-09-2014 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort in Sport surely?
gatesofcerdesOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 17-10-2014 04:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd prefer maybe a nice Hindu or Wiccan umpire, then? Any Pastafarian umpires out there?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21472
PostPosted: 17-10-2014 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatesofcerdes wrote:
They'd prefer maybe a nice Hindu or Wiccan umpire, then? Any Pastafarian umpires out there?

Richard Dawkins would make a great umpire!
gatesofcerdesOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 17-10-2014 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tapped the exclamation point thinking I was "liking" ramonmercado's post, and I seem to have reported it instead. If that is the case, I guess I am reporting it for being spot-on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: