Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Derren Brown: Master mind manipulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 19-11-2012 09:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it! When Mr. B was chatting to the woman in the church to make her have a "religious" experience, many of the things he did were things I've experienced while talking to priests in the past. Confused (Glad I'm an atheist!!)
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12952
PostPosted: 19-11-2012 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrybomb wrote:
Loved it! When Mr. B was chatting to the woman in the church to make her have a "religious" experience, many of the things he did were things I've experienced while talking to priests in the past. Confused (Glad I'm an atheist!!)

So Derren was using tried and tested techniques used by actual churchmen? Makes it even more sinister, though not for Derren, he's on the level.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 20-11-2012 09:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience - yes! Not wanting to upset anyone's faith, but go to a Vineyard church and chat to one of it's leaders, and you'll see all those things Derren did, put into practice. Confused
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13557
PostPosted: 22-11-2012 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clicked over to Derren's fear and Faith. He had a daft test going where he showed a photo of some fresh mint which is supposed to make people smell the mint.

I sneered 'All I can smell is the litter tray!' and just then, Brown showed a photo of some poo. Shocked

Antichrist.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Derren Brown: for my next trick I will make a straight man gay

The hypnotist also believes he could make a gay man be attracted to women.
The 41-year-old, who came out four years ago, is hoping the stunt will be as popular as his last stunt where he persuaded the group of people the world was going to end.
Brown told the Sun: "I was thinking about this the other day — it would be interesting wouldn't it? To take a gay guy and make him straight and a straight guy and make him gay."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9877135/Derren-Brown-for-my-next-trick-I-will-make-a-straight-man-gay.html

I won't volunteer, thanks.
KhalekOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he later said that The Sun misquoted him, that he wasn't seriously talking about making a show about it, just talking about how interesting it would be to do..

Except for the fact that it can't be done. And if he did make this show it could be seriously damaging for anyone struggling to come to terms with their sexuality. Seeing an actor pretend to suddenly become straight or gay would also reignite the "gay cure" argument. That homosexuality is a choice.. an illness to be fixed.

As a gay man himself Derren Brown should really know better than to suggest something like this is possible.
MythopoeikaOnline
Total posts: 9535
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khalek wrote:
As a gay man himself Derren Brown should really know better than to suggest something like this is possible.

Yes, he's a complete silly for saying it out loud.
Can't believe he came out with that nonsense.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the trick is actually fairly easy to accomplish. All it takes is five, or six, beers.

http://www.uncoolcentral.com/six_beers/7.html

Laughing
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Derren's birthday today. Happy birthday, Derren.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 12-12-2013 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derren is back on Channel 4 tomorrow at nine pm for a show where he stages an art robbery. Doesn't involve Damien Hurst by any chance, does it?
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old double bluff! Literally. Derren doing his bit for Help the Aged there, very entertaining but getting a bit Paul Daniels (maybe he should have been on the show too?).
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13557
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw a bloke in town today who looked JUST like him. Shocked

I fancied taking his photo, with permission of course, but didn't want to get into a conversation with him about whether he as Derren Brown or not, because I'd obviously come away believing that it wasn't him anyway.

Also, next time I heard a clock chime I'd stand on one leg and crow or something.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Ah, the old double bluff! Literally. Derren doing his bit for Help the Aged there, very entertaining but getting a bit Paul Daniels (maybe he should have been on the show too?).

we were away this weekend consequently i got to watch some tv ... bit of a damp squib in all this show ... although i quite like old d.brown ...
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 415
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

We quite enjoyed it. It made us chuckle a bit and was quite clever, but not mind blowing as some of his work is.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
We saw a bloke in town today who looked JUST like him. Shocked

I fancied taking his photo, with permission of course, but didn't want to get into a conversation with him about whether he as Derren Brown or not, because I'd obviously come away believing that it wasn't him anyway.

Also, next time I heard a clock chime I'd stand on one leg and crow or something.

Ah, but was he traditional look Derren or new look Derren, with the shaven heid? That might be an indication of authenticity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 49 of 50

Jump to: