Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Scariest fortean thing that has ever happened to you
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinghamtonOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 13-09-2009 19:50    Post subject: Scariest fortean thing that has ever happened to you Reply with quote

Halloween is just around the bend. Though this type of thread has probably been done before, let's get it rolling again. What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you-fortean-wise, that is?

Me? In 1976 I experienced a phone call that was similar to those explained in John Keel's book, The Mothman Prophecies TWO HOURS before I actually bought the book. Before I went to the place I bought the book, my parents and I were talking and the phone rang. I picked it up and heard what sounded like an open line where someone was banging on a big oil drum. I hung up, then picked up the phone again. I let my parents hear it. After checking three or four times, the regular dial tone was there. I read the book that weekend, realized what had happened, and went major paranoid. Was that weird phone call connected? Don't know. I've thought about it and it still makes me wonder.

What about you? What stories do you have in your background that still scare the bejeesus out of you?
bunnymousekittOnline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 280
PostPosted: 14-09-2009 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...weirdness has doggedly followed me my whole life (or maybe I've followed it?) so it's hard to choose. I guess I'll go with the most obvious one:

When I was 17 I moved out on my own, into a ramshackle apartment...really a converted back porch in a former day-care center. A horrible place, but good enough for my impoverished self. It was cold and damp even in a hot climate, and seemed dark even if I opened all the windows and turned on all the lights. One of those places.
It also had the same quality that a lot of schools, etc. have when everyone is gone, all those spooky echoes of time gone past.

The first night i slept there, I was woken up by my digital alarm clock. I was confused, because I hadn't plugged it in. Maybe it had batteries in it? I tried to shut it off, to no avail. I opened the battery compartment. No batteries. i couldn't turn it off because it wasn't actually on.
I had to stuff it in a closet under a pillow before I could go back to sleep.
The time on the clock was 5:15 AM

The next night, I was woken up by my smoke detector going off in the hallway. Got up in a panic. No smoke, nothing. And I couldn't shut it off, either, had to remove the battery. 5:15 again.

The third night, (and I have to admit I was wondering what was going to happen at 5:15) I was woken up by a mirror falling off the wall and shattering. I thought the brackets holding it to the wall must have slipped, but when i went to check, they were all in place. None of them were shifted at all.

It wasn't unusual to find the bathroom taps turned on in the middle of the night, either. In a horror movie, everyone would have known it was time to leave, but I didn't really have that option. I chose to ignore it the best I could. It got worse though. The door and window frames started to weep this strange rusty looking fluid (not tree sap, it was too watery, but too thick to be water) which gave me the creeps. No one would visit me there, the place scared them.
After a year, I started to have dreams that there was blood under the living room carpet, which gave me an ominous feeling all the time...

Not long after that, a police officer dropped by to warn me that the man who had murdered the woman who lived there some years before was about to be paroled - just in case he tried to "re-visit the crime scene".
First I'd heard about it. I was living in a murder apartment. Thanks for telling me, Landlord! Wow, was I ever glad to see the back of that place!

I never did establish if the crime happened at 5:15, though.

Well, I'm sure there's a few Fortean themes in there to choose from, regardless of how sceptical you are. Laughing
Lance_BoyleOffline
under medicated, and looking kind of
Total posts: 11
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 02:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask, I just moved out of a house that had a poltergiest,
it , among other things, flung and hit me on the head with a CD jewel case and all, and hurled a tin breadbox at my wife.
Its antics were seen at various times by at least five of my friends.
It spooked them so badly that they would not return to the house.
The house became infested with brown recluse spiders which only targeted me and I was bitten 7 times in all , and got gangrene from a couple of the bites and was in danger of losing a leg and possibly dying. Shocked
coalyOffline
Banned
Total posts: 831
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 07:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame neither of you had the foresight to use video to record any of the occurances. id love something truly strange to happen to me so i could leave a running camera on. locked off on a tripod with everything in frame. thats the only way these things can be taken seriously im afraid.
if an electrical alarm clock went off unplugged and with no batteries in, then i wouldn't shove it under a pillow, but thats just me. id have searched for the source of the electrical charge (which would have to have been specifically intended for this purpose, not more, not less.)
you say five of your friends saw or witnessed these events? could you go into detail please? were they there individually or as a group? what did they witness? thanks. Wink
Lance_BoyleOffline
under medicated, and looking kind of
Total posts: 11
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends individually saw my sons toys move about without batteries in them, and things such as apparitions of "shadow people".
There was also a transparent civil war dressed apparition from time to time.
Everyone noticed how it was darker than it should be even with the widows cleared and the lights were often needed during the day.
Things would scoot across the floor in front of us. And footsteps would clearly be heard on the floor next to the bed at night and in the living room.
Often there would be an impression on the bed as we tried to go to sleep that looked and felt as if someone had sat on it.
Things pushed off of shelves. Sometimes a crash would be heard and things from a mantle or shelf would be found on the floor , but
not in disarray, they would be neatly stacked on each other !
When we tried to ignore it the activity would go up some , such as a strong slapinng sound against the wall just above our heads.
A tapping sound near a closet that would wake us , sometimes followed by the contents of the closet being flung across the floor.
I always checked for animals in the house but found none to be blamed for any of this. The only animal in the house was
my dog who would often sit and growl at an area where nothing could be seen by me.
I never knew when these things would happen , and we had no video equipment, we were more interested in moving out than taking pictures.
You get very distraught under such circumstances and don't always think clearly.
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2991
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No amount of camera security will eliminate suspicion that a poltergeist vid is faked. To not take a report seriously simply because it consists of reports without no physical evidence is to apply an unrealistically strict standard that removes the possibility of ever learning anything from an unusual phenomenon.

I for one am happy to hear any stories anyone is willing to tell and to accept, provisionally, that the stories are as true and accurate as the teller knows how to make them, in the absence of evidence of their bad faith.
MsQkxyzOffline
Mermaid.
Total posts: 183
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the scariest thing thats ever happened to me and not the strangest thing either. However, it is the most recent.

Last week whilst getting re-dressed (not sure what word to use there lol) in a work toilet cubicle I felt someone poke me quite hard on the side of my shoulder. As it took me so much by surprise I instantly jumped / turned around to see who it was. Then of course I realised I was alone in a toilet cubicle with the door closed Embarassed
I dont know what could have caused the sensation. It felt like a bony finger with a sharpish nail jabbing me just once, very strange.
TEELAOffline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 28-09-2009 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to MsQkxyz - while on holiday this year in a cottage in Lincolnshire I bent over to get something out of the fridge and something poked me on my bottom! It wasn't hard, just a gentle tap.

I assumed it was my daughter (age 4) tapping me to get my attention but when I turned round she wasn't there (she was in another room), I asked my partner if she had done it & run off but he said she hadn't been near me.

Then while tidying up the cottage to leave a couple of days later I bent over to tidy some books on a low shelf and the same thing happened again as I straightened up I said "It just happened again", then a man's voice replied "I know what it will be".

My partner was just in the next room with the door open & so I went in & looked at him expecting him to elaborate but he just looked at me. I said "What? What will it be?"

He said that he hadn't said anything & didn't even hear me say it had happened again.
CavynautOffline
Skoumed!
Total posts: 2001
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 00:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding home from work on my bike a week or so ago around midnight, I got seriously spooked. Going past a hedge, I heard the loudest rustling and shaking. Guess it was just a fox or something, but boy, did I panic!
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 02:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEELA wrote:
my partner if she had done it & run off but he said she hadn't been near me.

My partner was just in the next room with the door open & so I went in & looked at him expecting him to elaborate but he just looked at me. I said "What? What will it be?"

The gender of the partner switches half way through the story - what's going on with this? Laughing
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2991
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 03:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threw me for a second, too, but it's just a little confusion of antecedents. The three people in the household are Teela, male partner, female child; Teela was asking the partner if the female child had goosed her.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 04:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, now I get it - I'm a little slow today, sorry! Sad
bunnymousekittOnline
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 07:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

coaly wrote:
shame neither of you had the foresight to use video to record any of the occurances. id love something truly strange to happen to me so i could leave a running camera on. locked off on a tripod with everything in frame. thats the only way these things can be taken seriously im afraid.
if an electrical alarm clock went off unplugged and with no batteries in, then i wouldn't shove it under a pillow, but thats just me. id have searched for the source of the electrical charge (which would have to have been specifically intended for this purpose, not more, not less.)

An impoverished teenager living in a slum apartment under dire circumstances...yes, it's a shame I didn't have the foresight to bring video equipment, but I was traveling rather light in those days.
Disregarding the fact that it was 5:15 in the morning and I had been awakened from an exhausted sleep. I did actually dismantle the alarm clock in an effort to make it stop. It didn't.
TEELAOffline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bunnymousekitt, I was asking my partner (male) if he had seen my daughter do it (made sense to me!) Embarassed
bunnymousekittOnline
PostPosted: 29-09-2009 09:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, your post was just fine! don't worry about a thing. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: