Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
David Icke , Lizards, etc etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeDeeTeeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 52
PostPosted: 20-01-2012 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing that blew my tiny mind when I was a kid was the phrase "The Moon is a dead planet" which I read in an astronomy book. Looks mundane now, but probably a lot more accurate than saying a moon-sized computer could simulate the universe, which sounds like total speculation!

That's probably why the comment stuck in my mind - even for a 9 year old I thought it was a pretty strange way to essentially make a size comparison/observation.

From my dim and distant memories, computers were a big, big thing in the 70s and everyone seemed fascinated by them - partly because they were completely unaccessible but partly because we really did know, deep down, that they were the future. So perhaps all 70s popular science books had metaphors and discussions on these new-fangled silicon chips to hook the 'kids' in.

Aaah back in those days, to have a computer with 48K of RAM was like having the vista of possibilities made limitless...
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25214
PostPosted: 20-01-2012 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDeeTee wrote:
It must have been 1980ish and I had a book from my library on Astronomy...
It was quite run-of-the-mill, just focused on the science of space and planets. I would guess that it had been published ~1975...

But I distinctly remember reading a bit of a passage on the Moon. They were trying to get across the fact that it was really quite unusual for a planet the size of the Earth to have a Moon so big. The Author had written something along the lines of:

"As moons go, our Moon is big. So big that it has been shown that a computer the size of the moon could run a virtual simulation of the entire universe which is quite a disturbing thought" (me italicising). Which now strikes me as an really odd way of saying 'Gosh, don't we have a big moon.'

Is it possible that someone in the 60/70s had indeed done a back of the envelope calculation regarding such a 'Matrix'-style moon and this little known factoid has somehow been desposited in the Icksters mind, only to resurface later?

I've been following astronomy and computing for most of my life - although admittedly my early knowledge of computing came from 60s SF books and some periferal stuff at uni, so it wasn't until the 80s that I got my hands on even a ZX81!

AFAIK, the idea of computer simulations was pretty basic in those early days, and even now it takes massive computing power just to simulate the collision of two galaxies, so I'm doubtful whether someone in the 70s ever contemplated simulating the entire universe! But if I'm wrong, I'd love to see the evidence! It just doesn't seem like a speculation that someone would mention in a 'run-of-the-mill' astronomy book.

And my other point is that The Matrix, which hugely popularised the idea of simulating whole worlds, did not come out until 1999.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14760
PostPosted: 21-01-2012 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
And my other point is that The Matrix, which hugely popularised the idea of simulating whole worlds, did not come out until 1999.

Yeah, but there was a Matrix-style simulation in the 1976 Doctor Who story The Deadly Assassin (which was called, er, The Matrix) so the idea had been around for a while, and in popular fiction. It's possible this astronomer was getting carried away with sci-fi ideas he'd read or seen.
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 7124
PostPosted: 21-01-2012 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's simulated realities in several Philip K Dick works, e.g. A Maze of Death, and Time Out of Joint, (the latter from 1959).
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14760
PostPosted: 21-01-2012 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, his The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch has a drug-induced, universe-sized simulation that becomes indistinguishable from the real thing.
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 21-01-2012 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubik pretty much went there as well, which isn;t much of a spoiler as one can see it coming a mile off, esp. for the amount that Dick used that premise.

Pohl's The Tunnel Under The World (1955) went into similar territory, albeit with a sort of 1/16th scale model world rather than actual inside a computer virtual reality.

Quote:
Yeah, but there was a Matrix-style simulation in the 1976 Doctor Who story The Deadly Assassin (which was called, er, The Matrix)

I'm supposed to say that! Laughing
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5510
PostPosted: 21-01-2012 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget The Thirteenth Floor which came out at the same time as The Matrix, but was based on the book Simulacron 3 by Daniel Galouye who died, oddly enough, in 1976.

I'm beginning to see a conspiracy here.
flamesongOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 53
PostPosted: 18-06-2012 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody fancy seeing David Icke on BBC Question Time?

If so, you can sign this petition:

David Icke to appear on Question Time
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4942
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 07:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamesong wrote:

Er no, putting David Icke on Question Time would be on the same televisual level as putting someone from a mental institution in a pit and having lots of people point and laugh at them.

Or considering the amount of money he's made from all his pronouncements, if it is all an act then you're giving a snake oil salesman an opportunity to go on QVC.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10445
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 08:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
flamesong wrote:

Er no, putting David Icke on Question Time would be on the same televisual level as putting someone from a mental institution in a pit and having lots of people point and laugh at them.

Or considering the amount of money he's made from all his pronouncements, if it is all an act then you're giving a snake oil salesman an opportunity to go on QVC.

How much money has he made?
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4942
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 09:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:

Oodles. He has a gig at Wembley in October with prices from £40 up, one would imagine he'd get at least his bus fare home out of that....
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10445
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:

Oodles. He has a gig at Wembley in October with prices from £40 up, one would imagine he'd get at least his bus fare home out of that....

Wow.
He does give a good speech though, I'll give him that.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2327
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:

Like Wogan did.
flamesongOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 53
PostPosted: 19-06-2012 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Just the sort of replies I expected, sadly.

Open minded? No, I don't think so. And somehow not in a Fortean spirit, methinks. More like an insecure mob of spineless piss-takers.

And, if David Icke is making a fortune, I would like to know where he is hiding all his money.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-06-2012 07:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather rude. Please keep it civil.

P_M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 44 of 47

Jump to: