Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
And now - Sport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3240
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 00:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy that football thing.

Quote:
Qatar World Cup: 185 Nepalese died in 2013 – official records
Death toll in 2013 likely to rise as new cases revealed, sparking fresh wave of concern over treatment of migrant workers

The extent of the risks faced by migrant construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar has been laid bare by official documents revealing that 185 Nepalese men died last year alone.

The 2013 death toll, which is expected to rise as new cases come to light, is likely to spark fresh concern over the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar and increase the pressure on Fifa to force meaningful change. According to the documents the total number of verified deaths among workers from Nepal – just one of several countries that supply hundreds of thousands of migrant workers to the gas-rich state – is now at least 382 in two years alone. At least 36 of those deaths were registered in the weeks following the global outcry after the Guardian's original revelations in September.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/24/qatar-2022-world-cup-185-nepalese-workers-died-2013
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25741
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good-humoured time at the Emirates last night.

"When the clock showed 35, Coventry fans increased their protests, choosing that minute to represent the number of miles from Sixfields. They held up placards saying “WHY?” demanding reasons for not being allowed to play at the Ricoh. Arsenal supporters, who had been made aware of the visitors’ plans via the REDaction group, showed solidarity in standing and applauding. Coventry fans then chanted of their desire for Sisu to quit the club, also holding up a banner that read “Wake Up Little Sisu We Gotta Get Home”. Cool They also applauded the Arsenal fans for their support.

All of the fans were united in laughter when some of the floodlights went out, following a power surge. Many turned on their smartphones to illuminate proceedings while others chanted “Arsenal — pay the bill”." Very Happy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/10595284/Arsenal-4-Coventry-City-0-match-report.html
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still with the cup matches:

15:21:
GOAL - Manchester City 0-1 Watford - Fernando Forestieri (21 mins)
Wow. This would be the shock of the season. Free-scoring Manchester City are given the runaround in midfield, the Hornets finally play the ball through and Fernando Forestieri is on hand to slot through the legs of Costel Pantilimon. Shocked

Gotta love the FA Cup! Very Happy
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

15:29:
GOAL - Manchester City 0-2 Watford - Troy Deeney

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

15:48:
HALF-TIME - Manchester City 0-2 Watford

BBC Sport's Alistair Magowan at Etihad Stadium: "Let's just put this in context: Only Bayern Munich have taken points off Manchester City at home this season, every other match they have won and they have averaged four goals a game. It's only half-time but if this result stands, Giuseppe Sannino will go down in Watford's history, no matter what else he achieves at Vicarage Road. City have been average so far, though, and you would expect better in the second half."

Psychout
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

They managed to win 4-2. Good effort by Watford,

City are unbeatable at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be much squad rotation.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

FULL-TIME - Manchester City 4-2 Watford
Two-nil down on the hour mark, City win 4-2. Remarkable.

(And city maintain their 4 goals at home average. Aguero hat-trick.)

But well done Watford for making a game of it! Smile
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for a shock win today somewhere from a lower team, there's always one. Stevenage - it's over to you!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14909
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Na, the woman with the shortest name in the world, stormed to victory in Australia courtesy of her inimitable comedy stylings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25875113
Quote:
China's Li Na won her second Grand Slam title with victory over Slovakian Dominika Cibulkova at the Australian Open.

Li, seeded fourth, came through an edgy first set from both women to dominate the second and win 7-6 (7-3) 6-0.

It was the 31-year-old's third Australian Open final and brings her a second major title after the 2011 French Open.

Already a popular figure at Melbourne Park thanks to her previous success - and entertaining on-court interviews - Li was urged on by a large contingent of Chinese supporters on Rod Laver Arena.

"Finally I got her [the Australian Open trophy]," said Li. "The last two finals were very close.

"Now I have to thank my team. Thanks to my agent for making me rich, thanks a lot."

And speaking to her husband, who was courtside: "Thanks a lot, you are a nice guy. Also you are so lucky."

Cibulkova said: "It was my first Grand Slam final and I'm just proud with the way I handled it.

"I wanted to play my best tennis but it wasn't easy against her because she was playing extremely well, so I'm quite happy."

Seven years older, with a 4-0 head-to-head record and facing a player making her Grand Slam final debut, Li had been a strong favourite against 20th seed Cibulkova...

Bit of a dodgy first set, but masterful in the second. Slightly disappointing the Aussie officials didn't swear in the winner's ceremony at the end like last year, but hey ho, maybe tomorrow.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Slightly disappointing the Aussie officials didn't swear in the winner's ceremony at the end like last year, but hey ho, maybe tomorrow.

Do they normally swear, in these ceremonies? I mean, I know that some Aussies are a bit rough and ready, but at big international events you'd think they'd tone it down a bit! Shocked
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA Cup fifth-round draw: Man City land Chelsea at home

Manchester City will play Chelsea, while Arsenal are at home to Liverpool in the FA Cup fifth round.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez will face one of his former clubs, Swansea, while Sunderland will host Southampton in the the other all-Premier League tie.

Premier League strugglers Cardiff are at home to holders Wigan, Hull travel to Brighton, and Sheffield Wednesday host fellow Championship side Charlton.

The games will be played on the weekend of 15-16 February.

The round's other tie sees Sheffield United or Fulham host Nottingham Forest or Preston - the only two ties that need fourth-round replays.

The two stand-out ties bring together the Premier League's current top four.
It means leaders Arsenal are now scheduled to play Liverpool and Manchester United in the league, the Reds again in the FA Cup and Bayern Munich in the Champions League in the space of 12 days. [Just another day at the office - I hope!]

Second-placed Manchester City's game with Chelsea, who are third, will take place ... within four days of hosting Barcelona in the Champions League. [I wasn't impressed by Chelsea today against Stoke. I reckon Man City will marmelize 'em! Twisted Evil But even better if it goes the other way - then maybe Arsenal get to marmelize 'em! Cool ]

Of the trip to the Etihad, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho told ITV: "No problem. If you want to be the best, you have to play against the best, so it's good for us. One team is the end product. One team needs to improve and has a long way to go. Good experience, good game, big game."

There are only two fixtures guaranteed to be between Premier League and Football League sides, with Brighton hosting Hull and defending champions Wigan visiting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Cardiff.

Sheffield Wednesday play Charlton Athletic with one of the Championship relegation rivals guaranteed a quarter-final spot.

Full fifth round draw

Manchester City v Chelsea

Sheffield United or Fulham v Nottingham Forest or Preston North End

Arsenal v Liverpool

Brighton & Hove Albion v Hull City

Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic

Sunderland v Southampton

Everton v Swansea City

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25903870
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14909
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
gncxx wrote:
Slightly disappointing the Aussie officials didn't swear in the winner's ceremony at the end like last year, but hey ho, maybe tomorrow.

Do they normally swear, in these ceremonies? I mean, I know that some Aussies are a bit rough and ready, but at big international events you'd think they'd tone it down a bit! Shocked

The guy was just making a joke that was appropriate for late night Aussie TV, but not great for half eleven on a British morning. Don't think it's a regular thing! Wasn't the f word or anything.

Anyway, a very eventful men's final today in Melbourne:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25893279
Quote:
Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka won his first Grand Slam title with victory over an injury-hit Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final.

Wawrinka withstood a fightback from the world number one, who was struggling with a back problem, to come through 6-3 6-2 3-6 6-3.

The 28-year-old becomes only the second Swiss man to win a Grand Slam singles title after 17-time champion Roger Federer.

And he is the first man outside the 'big four' of Nadal, Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam since Juan Martin Del Potro at the 2009 US Open.

Fortunes fluctuated wildly over the course of two hours and 21 minutes as Wawrinka opened in scintillating form before a tearful Nadal appeared close to quitting at two sets down, only to stage a remarkable recovery in the third.

The Spaniard, 27, showed great spirit to hit back once again from a break down in the fourth, but a forehand winner gave Wawrinka the decisive break at 5-3 and he served out the biggest win of his life with a love game.

"I still think that I'm dreaming," said Wawrinka. "It's a strange feeling. I saw so many finals. I always try to watch the finals of Grand Slams because that's where the best players are playing.

"Before today, for me it wasn't a dream. I never expected to play a final. I never expected to win a Grand Slam. And right now I just did it..."

I'd have preferred Nadal to be beaten fair and square, though for a stretch it looked as if he might actually fight back, but all credit to Stan, he deserved his win. As the commentators said, he was really classy when he did.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-01-2014 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed as I was to see Man City go top in the PL tonight by beating Spurs, I smirked when I saw that Chelsea played a 0 - 0 draw with West Ham! Twisted Evil

From before the games tonight, this:

"Like all top teams, Chelsea are just beginning to go through the gears too. They have won their last seven matches in all competitions, and you can almost set your watch by manager Jose Mourinho.

The Blues boss has been lobbing mind-game grenades at Arsene Wenger this week, and spent his pre-match news conference for the visit of West Ham explaining why he's desperate to see title rivals Manchester City win at White Hart Lane tonight.

"I prefer them to win, because if they win and if we win, we open a gap to Tottenham," Mourinho said. "The top four, if possible the top three, is the big, big, big objective and it's a difficult objective."

I love Jose, but who is he trying to kid? He's not in town to finish fourth."
Wink

Well, he got his wish about Man City beating Spurs. But Chelsea are still third behind Arsenal! Cool

Be careful what you wish for, Jose!
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 534
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Flower has quit as England cricket coach. The fallout begins.

So who's the English equivalent of our Boof? Beefy, I suppose...
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 09:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Cornwall, and Newlyn in particular, will be watching France v. England today with special intererest:

Jack Nowell, son of a Newlyn fisherman, set for England rugby debut.
By The Cornishman.
Thursday, January 30, 2014.

THE SON of a Newlyn fisherman who started playing rugby in Penzance at the age of 5 looks set to make his England debut in this weekend's Six Nations.

Jack Nowell flew to France with the England squad earlier this week, hoping to make his debut in Paris on Saturday in front of his parents, Michael and Louisa, and younger brothers, Henry, 14, and Frankie, 11.

If the 20-year-old former Pirates youngster does make an appearance on the field, he will be the first west Cornwall rugby player to play for his country at the top level for more than 30 years.

His dad Michael, a trawler skipper, and Louisa, a cook, try to watch most of Jack's club matches when he plays on the wing for the Exeter Chiefs and were also in France last summer when they witnessed their son helping England Under 20s lift the World Cup in Vannes.

They paid tribute to the dedication and hard work he puts in to being a success as a rugby player.
"Away from rugby he's pretty laid-back and he likes to get home to switch off and relax," said Louisa.
"But we know how hard he works – how he has missed out on holidays and nights out; he had only one day off for Christmas and had to go back up to Exeter on Christmas evening. When he was selected for the England elite squad, I had hundreds of texts from friends congratulating us but it's all been down to him.
"Rugby definitely comes first for Jack – he is the one who has been determined and focused; he won't allow himself to be distracted."

Jack's emergence as one of England's brightest young talents has been meteoric. He has played the game since the age of 5 – going through the Pirates' mini-junior age groups under the watchful eye of coaches Nicky Brooks, Dave Elliott and Peter Lug. But it was only since leaving Mounts Bay School to join Truro College and then playing a season of senior rugby with Redruth at the age of 17 that his ability really shone through.

After that breakthrough season, Jack joined the Exeter Academy and he has been a full-time rugby player ever since. And despite his swift elevation through the rugby ranks, Jack is not overawed by the opposition – no matter who he is playing against.

"When he was Frankie's age, his heroes were Jason Robinson and Jonny Wilkinson," said Michael.
"So when Exeter played Toulon recently I asked him if he felt any extra nerves playing against Wilkinson but he said, 'no, I just go out and try to play my game'."

Michael believes that playing for Exeter has given him a great boost. "I think that Exeter's style of play helps him with the England set-up.
"He's not the fastest wing around but he is powerful, has a good step and is strong defensively and Exeter play in a similar style to England."

Henry and Frankie are both following Jack through the Pirates' youth set-up and Frankie, who Michael believes is a better player than Jack at the same age, is very keen to follow in his brother's footsteps.

As The Cornishman interviewed Michael and Louisa on Tuesday, the Nowells were busy trying to organise their trip to Paris and joining them at the Stade de France, if Jack is selected, will be Nicky Brooks who, Louisa says, is "like a second dad".

Having coached Jack from the age of 5 to 16, the former Pirates' stalwart, who takes credit for teaching Jack his renowned tackling technique, said that what made Jack stand out was "a great attitude".
"When he was coming through you would have said that his team mates Chris Nicholas, Andrew Tester and Luke Cowan-Dickie were all better players," he said.

"I never expected him to become a winger but he excelled at centre and then we felt he would get more room to show off his ability so we switched him to full back.
"He didn't like it at first but recently he thanked me for making him play there. He was never big-headed or arrogant – although he liked a joke in the changing room – but he was a good listener and had an abundance of natural talent.
"I feel so proud that I've had a hand in where Jack and Luke have got so far," he added.

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/England-rugby-debut-son-Newlyn-fisherman/story-20519863-detail/story.html

Very Happy

I think Roger Nowell, who starred in the 1993 BBC documentary series The Skipper, was Jack's uncle. (He died in 2010.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 77 of 89

Jump to: