Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
And now - Sport
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 80, 81, 82  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24075
PostPosted: 16-03-2012 08:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, both the high-flying Premier League Manchester clubs have dropped out of the Europa League now.

Now I don't feel quite so bad that Arsenal failed to progress in the Champions League... Twisted Evil
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-03-2012 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start:

Australian Grand Prix 2012: Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button give McLaren perfect start in grid one-two
Lewis Hamilton claimed pole position for the Australian Grand Prix in some style ahead of his McLaren team-mate Jenson Button, with defending world champion Sebastian Vettel back in sixth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9149980/Australian-Grand-Prix-2012-Lewis-Hamilton-and-Jenson-Button-give-McLaren-perfect-start-in-grid-one-two.html

...things can only get worse now! Wink
bigaggie1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 102
PostPosted: 17-03-2012 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the Bolton/Spurs FA cup match, a player has collapsed on the pitch,and is now on the way to hospital, was given CPR on the pitch,and defibrillators used, last news they are still trying to resusitate in the ambulance
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 17-03-2012 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about Muamba's condition. Let's hope it works out OK.

I remember when Chelsea's Petr Cech was injured, and he spent a long time with paramedics on the field. It looked grim, but he eventually recovered, although he has worn a rugby scrum cap ever since while goal-keeping.

I've been following the six nations rugby today. A lot of good stuff on show, especially in Wales v.France, but my attention was mainly on the England v. Ireland game. I watched the first half at home, and the second half in the pub, which I'm pleased to say was well supported. 15 or 20 years ago you could hardly get in a pub when international matches were on, but that crowding has died down with the general decline in pub drinking.

A good result for England, but a St Paddy's day spoiler for the Irish. So England finish second to Wales, quite an achievement when you consider how few caps this team has compared to France and Ireland. I'm very impressed with how they play as a unit, always supporting each other and working hard. This despite a couple of almost comical mis-handling incidents, one of which could have deprived England of another try.

Another thing about watching rugby in a Cornish pub - the locals all support England! There are no kilt-wearing Cornish muttering into their beer about devolution or independence! Twisted Evil
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-03-2012 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes to medical rules may have saved Fabrice Muamba's life
Observer Sport staff
The Observer, Sunday 18 March 2012

The rapid on-pitch medical response which may have saved Fabrice Muamba's life was the result of changes to FA and Premier League medical requirements made in 2007, following the injuries to Chelsea's Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini.

After the two incidents in the match against Reading in October 2006 the then Chelsea manager José Mourinho had reacted angrily to the way his goalkeepers were treated – specifically to the delays in hospitalising Cech, who had a fractured skull.
"There are some things that leave me in a very emotional situation," Mourinho said. "My goalkeeper was in the dressing room for 30 minutes waiting for an ambulance. This is something English football has to think about. This is much more important than football."

An official Chelsea complaint led to an FA and Premier League review, which introduced new measures from 2007, including the requirement for every game to have an ambulance on standby for players and officials.

Other regulations made it compulsory for clubs to provide two paramedic stretcher-bearers, with a club doctor and physiotherapists on the team benches, as well as a qualified "crowd doctor" on standby

After Saturday's incident, the Premier League's chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "We would like to praise the players, match officials, staff and medical teams of both clubs for their swift actions in attending Fabrice."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/18/fabrice-muamba-medical-rules
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 22-03-2012 07:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tight at the top of the Premiership:

Pos Team P GD Pts

No movement
1 Man Utd 29 46 70
No movement
2 Man City 29 50 69
Moving up
3 Arsenal 29 19 55
Moving down
4 Tottenham 29 18 54

Just one point between the two Manchester clubs, and one point between the two London clubs as Arsenal leapfrog Spurs. What surprises does the season still have in store? Cool
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 22-03-2012 08:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabrice Muamba was 'dead' for 78 minutes - Bolton doctor

Fabrice Muamba was "in effect dead" for 78 minutes following his on-field collapse, the Bolton Wanderers club doctor Jonathan Tobin has revealed.
Doctors say it is too early to predict whether he will play football again.
But Dr Tobin said he is amazed by the 23-year-old's recovery so far.

In an emotional interview, Dr Tobin said: "It was 48 minutes when he collapsed to reaching hospital and a further 30 minutes after that. He was, in effect, dead at that time."
He added: "We were fearing the worst and didn't think we would get the recovery we had. It's incredible."

Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest in Wanderers' FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Saturday.
Dr Tobin told BBC Sport's Dan Roan how Bolton physio Andy Mitchell was the first to spot the player had collapsed.
The doctor recalled: "He screamed, 'Get on the pitch, get on the pitch'. It was obvious something major was happening."

Dr Tobin said Muamba was given two defibrillator shocks on the pitch, one in the players' tunnel and a further 12 in the ambulance on the way to hospital but none worked.

The doctor said it was only when medics at London Chest Hospital took over that the situation began to sink in. He added: "I went into the corridor and cried.
"This is Fabrice, not someone who has gone down in the street. I know him, know his family, joke with him every day."

Tottenham club doctor Shabaaz Mughal was among those who rushed to Muamba's aid. He said: "He appeared to take a couple of gasps but was then unresponsive."
The pair were further helped by Dr Andrew Deaner, Consultant Cardiologist at London Chest Hospital, who was at the game as a fan, and ran on to the pitch to lend his expertise.
He said: "As soon as I saw them start CPR, something twitched in me. You always hope that, if you have a defibrillator and get there quickly, they will respond to at least two or three shocks. The longer the resuscitation, the less the chances of survival. But this is a very fit 23-year-old and those attending him are trained in CPR.
"If I was ever going to use the term miraculous it could be used here. He has made a remarkable recovery so far.
"Two hours after [regaining consciousness] I whispered in his ear, 'What's your name?' and he said, 'Fabrice Muamba'. I said, 'I hear you're a really good footballer' and he said, 'I try'. I had a tear in my eye."

The consultant added: "We don't want to get ahead of ourselves but, as things stand, his life is not in danger at this time.
"It is early days so it is not possible to say [if he will play again]."

Dr Sam Mohiddin, the Consultant Cardiologist now looking after Muamba, said: "Fabrice has continued to demonstrate positive signs of recovery.
"His outcome has been extraordinary as a result of extraordinary care.
"He has exceeded our expectations but this remains very early in what could be a very lengthy recovery period.
"The critical thing was the rapid, prompt and very effective CPR at White Hart Lane and expertise from the London ambulance service.
"Normal life is within the spectrum of possibility."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17460781
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2792
PostPosted: 22-03-2012 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite remarkable if he comes out with a normal life. Fully expected that the initial announcement that they had got his heart beating would be followed with bad news that too much damage had been done to his brain in the time he was 'dead'.

Miraculous, really. Whether he will recover enough to be able to play again is the next question. Even if he was fit enough to make a five minute cameo, farewell appearance would be an achievement.

There was a player, Clive Clarke, who also suffered a heart attack during a game and recovered enough to try and resume his career but sadly he never played another game.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 24-03-2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aresenal put some clear water between them and the chasing pack with a 3-0 win against Aston Villa.

And Robin van Persie didn't score any of them!
Quote:
DID YOU KNOW
•This was the first time two Englishmen have scored in a Premier League game for Arsenal since 1997 Shocked

They were Gibbs and Walcott.

This is good news from an England point of view too - Walcott is looking increasingly influential as a player and striker.

And Crouch scored for Stoke against Man City - could he be bidding for a place in the England squad again? Despite his goals scored for England, ex-manager Fabio Capello seemed reluctant to use Crouch, and often dropped him altogether.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 25-03-2012 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been following the Grand Prix on Live Text - and it was amazingly exciting! I won't give any results, but this Tweet sums up what an open race it was:

From Ian Bassett on Twitter: "Nine different teams scoring points! The only team scoring twice being Force India? Couldn't have made that result up." Cool

Formula 1: The Malaysian Grand Prix
BBC1: 2:45pm to 4:40pm

Highlights

Jake Humphrey presents highlights of the Malaysian Grand Prix from Sepang, the second race of the 2012 Formula One season. Last year's pole sitter Sebastian Vettel negotiated his way round the 3.4 mile circuit with perfection, despite the KERS power-boost device in his car malfunctioning. The German went on to take a second successive chequered flag of the season ahead of Britain's Jenson Button, who began the day in fourth, by 3.2 seconds. Renault's Nick Heidfeld joined them on the podium by clinging on for third. Arguably the day's major talking point was the collision between old rivals Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso with ten laps to go; an incident that proved costly to their podium chances.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19644
PostPosted: 26-03-2012 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one, its not often you get a laughing ref.

Quote:
REFEREES are, it is acknowledged, easy targets for managers, players and fans when things aren’t going well for their sides. Almost all are, of course, only doing their best. There are, however, a few, like Brazilian official José Roberto Marquez, who really can’t complain too much when they attract a bit of flak.

Marquez has been suspended after CCTV footage apparently showed him buying alcohol in a service station hours before a game while “being held upright by girls”.

Being something of a pro he still turned up for the game but, observed Luis António Oliveira, a director of one of the clubs, Batatais: “He had 20 cups of water and kept laughing at the players. He then told a ballboy to take a corner. I felt that was odd.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0326/1224313893137.html
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2792
PostPosted: 27-03-2012 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
I like this one, its not often you get a laughing ref.

Quote:
REFEREES are, it is acknowledged, easy targets for managers, players and fans when things aren’t going well for their sides. Almost all are, of course, only doing their best. There are, however, a few, like Brazilian official José Roberto Marquez, who really can’t complain too much when they attract a bit of flak.

Marquez has been suspended after CCTV footage apparently showed him buying alcohol in a service station hours before a game while “being held upright by girls”.

Being something of a pro he still turned up for the game but, observed Luis António Oliveira, a director of one of the clubs, Batatais: “He had 20 cups of water and kept laughing at the players. He then told a ballboy to take a corner. I felt that was odd.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0326/1224313893137.html

Yet strangely less odd than Callum Murray's reffing performance on Sunday.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-03-2012 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Lancaster appointed England manager
Stuart Lancaster will today be confirmed as the next permanent England head coach.
By Gavin Mairs
8:35AM BST 29 Mar 2012

Lancaster’s appointment will be ratified by a Rugby Football Union board meeting this morning and the 42 year-old will be told that he will be able to pick his own coaching team.

It is understood Nick Mallett, the former South Africa and Italy coach, who was also on the shortlist for the job, was told on Thursday morning that his application was unsuccessful.

Lancaster, who was appointed as interim coach in December after the departure of Martin Johnson following the disastrous World Cup campaign, is understood to have impressed the five-man Professional Game Board panel tasked with the recruitment search.

RFU chief executive Ian Ritchie has spent the last two days considering the recommendation of the panel that includes Sir Ian McGeechan and Conor O’Shea, the respective directors of rugby at Bath and Harlequins, former England flanker Richard Hill and the RFU’s professional game director Rob Andrew.

While Mallett’s heavyweight international experience during his time with South Africa and Italy made him an attractive option, Ritchie has clearly been swayed by the excellent work Lancaster has done in rebuilding England’s reputation on and off the field during the Six Nations.
England won four of their five matches, finishing in second place, while
Lancaster’s strict approach to discipline has created a new culture at the heart of the national squad and won many plaudits from sponsors and supporters alike.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9171489/Stuart-Lancaster-appointed-England-manager.html

One of the comments reads:
"And I put my money on Harry Redknapp!"
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, things aren't as good as you might think.

Quote:
Top scientist quits anti-doping body over 'muzzling'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17586597
By Matt McGrath
Science reporter, BBC World Service

The governing body of professional cycling uses the passport extensively

Related Stories

Ban on doping drug may be relaxed
2012 Games 'toughest for cheats'

A leading scientist says he is resigning from an expert body on biological passports in sport because he is being "muzzled".

Dr Michael Ashenden accused the anti-doping movement of fostering a culture of "omerta" - a term describing the pact of silence in the mafia.

He said the imposition of a new confidentiality clause in his contract was an attempt to silence him.

Since 2008 he has been an independent reviewer of blood profiles in cycling.

The governing bodies of professional cycling and international athletics extensively use the passport.

Continue reading the main story

The Union Cycliste International (UCI), which governs cycling, declined to comment on the resignation, while the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), which oversees athletics, acknowledged that Dr Ashenden had declined an offer to be part of their expert panel.

Dr Ashenden is regarded as one of the world's foremost experts on blood doping and the athlete's biological passport. He has acted as an expert witness in high profile cases, including those of Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador.

Both cycling and athletics have recently handed over management of the biological passport to a newly created Athlete Passport Management Unit (APMU), based at the Swiss Laboratory for Doping Analyses (LAD) in Lausanne.

The APMU has issued new contracts to its experts, with much tighter confidentiality clauses.

Dr Ashenden says his new contract requires him to get permission before offering personal opinions on any matter related to his role interpreting blood profiles. He says the APMU are "trying to manage the message".

The scientist told the BBC: "It seems to me that too much emphasis is being placed on controlling what the media are told. There should be nothing to hide, so why stop the experts from talking?"

The BBC contacted the APMU for comment several times, but we have yet to receive a response from the unit.

In recent years, anti-doping organisations have encouraged athletes to share information about fellow athletes they believe are doping, even offering reduced sanctions to those who help convict their peers.

"Although it's sometimes difficult and personally damaging for me to speak out, it's much more difficult for an athlete to betray a peer.

What is a biological passport?

The Athlete's Biological Passport (ABP) is an electronic record of blood and urine samples taken several times a year over the course of a competitor's career. Cycling, athletics and rowing have promoted the passport as nearly impossible to circumvent.

Supporters say that by measuring a range of biological variables such as hematocrit and haemoglobin, scientists can rapidly detect indirect changes that indicate doping. The traditional method involves directly detecting a substance in a sample.

When experts look at blood profiles they are able to see minute changes that can indicate that the athlete is trying to manipulate their oxygen-carrying capacity. The scientists do not have to prove exactly what is being used. Being able to see evidence of manipulation is enough to secure a conviction.

Professional cycling has been associated with widespread doping. Many supporters of the ABP say that, since its introduction in 2008, it has helped the sport become cleaner and more competitive.

Critics argue the passport is expensive and can be beaten. They say authorities are afraid to prosecute athletes in case they lose in court and the passport concept is damaged.

Text: Matt McGrath

"I've personally asked athletes to take that leap of faith, and I'd be mortified if I ever failed to have the same moral courage I've asked of those athletes," Dr Ashenden explained.

"We constantly struggle to overcome their omerta, their refusal to tell us what is happening in their sport. We want them to blow the whistle on their colleagues. And yet here Lausanne is imposing its own 'omerta'.

"In fact, it goes one step further and writes legally binding contracts to stop their experts from speaking out. It's hypocritical, and suggests they talk the talk but won't walk the walk."

Information from the athlete's biological passport will also play a significant role in anti-doping at the London Olympics, with the profiles of athletes, swimmers and cyclists and rowers being monitored.

But Dr Ashenden has been critical of the way the passport is held up as a panacea for doping.

He has carried out experiments showing that it is possible to cheat the passport system by taking micro doses of the blood-boosting drug EPO.

The doping expert points to the IAAF, arguing that, despite having a passport programme in place for several years, as far as he is aware they have never sanctioned anybody as a result of their profiles.

"It's not the tool, it's the execution that worries me. That's the reason why I believe it's important media have the opportunity to ask hard questions. Unless they're well informed about how the passport operates, they won't know which questions to ask," he told the BBC.

"It's not about criticising the passport, it's about getting it better."

Biological passports are set to play a significant role at the London Olympics
A spokesperson for the IAAF told BBC News that it had "made enormous progress on the Athletes Biological Passport and soon this... will be noticeable to the public and to the media.

"However, we cannot comment yet on the actual state of the eventual cases. All the sanctions are decided from the national federations and the IAAF gives the approval. Regarding Dr Ashenden, the IAAF has officially offered him to be part of the IAAF ABP Expert Panel but he declined."

Dr Ashenden objects strongly to a paragraph that says he must seek permission before he can talk about "any aspect of the role as APMU member" for up to eight years after he is terminated as a member.

"Anti-doping exists to protect clean athletes, not the reputation of the anti-doping movement. When push comes to shove, my actions will always be in the interests of clean athletes, even if that means I ruffle feathers by highlighting some inconvenient truths.

"And just because I serve on their panel, it doesn't give them the right to silence me."
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 04-04-2012 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news

Quote:
Somalia sports officials killed in theatre bombing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17609047

The bomb targeted a ceremony to mark the first anniversary of the launch of Somalia's TV station

Somalia - Failed State

How a mother survives Somalia
Life in ex-al-Shabab stronghold
Why is Uganda in Somalia?
Will the world help or hinder?

Somalia's Olympic committee and football heads are among seven people killed in a suicide blast in Mogadishu.

Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali was also present when the attacker struck the newly re-opened national theatre but he told the BBC he was unhurt.

Militants from the al-Shabab group say they carried out the bombing.

The African Union (AU) peacekeeping mission in Somalia condemned the attack as "despicable" and said it would not deter peace efforts.

The theatre closed in the early 1990s as Somalia descended into civil war and was only reopened last month, amid a new period of relative optimism.

The President of the Somali Olympic Committee, Aden Yabarow Wiish, and the Somali Football Federation chief, Said Mohamed Nur, were among a group of dignitaries who had gathered to mark the first anniversary of the launch of Somalia's national television station.

Three Somali television journalists were also wounded in the blast, sources have told the BBC Somali Service.

Earlier reports put the number of dead at 10.

Musical event

The prime minister told the BBC the attacker was a woman.

"In the middle of my speech... a suicide bomber exploded herself," he told BBC News.

Condemning al-Shabab, he said it was in the group's nature to "kill innocent people".

In pictures: Somalia theatre bombing
"This is the last breaths of a dying horse, so now hopefully they will be eliminated from the face of the earth," he added.

An eyewitness, Salah Jimale, told the Associated Press news agency: "The blast happened as musicians were singing and spectators were clapping for them.

"Smoke made everything go dark. People screamed and soldiers suddenly started opening fire at the gate."

Reporters at the scene say dozens of people were hurt, and have described seeing shoes and bloody mobile phones lying on the floor, and chairs cut in half by the force of the blast.

In a statement al-Shabab said it was behind the bombing but referred to a planted device rather than a suicide bomber.

Al-Shabab militants who had controlled large parts of the country, including Mogadishu, were pushed out of the city by AU troops last year.

Appeal for information
Since then, there has been a period of relative quiet, with sporting activity resuming, restaurants opening, and the re-opening of the National Theatre.

But al-Shabab has continued to attack the capital with bombs and mortars.

Brigadier General Audace Nduwumunsi, deputy commander of the AU mission (Amisom), said the peacekeepers stood firmly with the Somali government.

"Yet again the terrorists' methods show that they are enemies of peace and are foreign to Somali culture," he said.

"By their attack they are trying to derail the hopes and dreams of the Somali people but they will fail."

He encouraged people in Mogadishu to come forward with any information about possible further attacks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 21 of 82

Jump to: