Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Doppleganger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 18-12-2009 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Threads about meeting oneself, doubles and doppelgängers, merged.

Blame Escargot, who brought them to my attention. Wink

P_M
HypermetropiaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 20-12-2009 23:27    Post subject: Fetch Reply with quote

Midnight0962 wrote:
Quote:
All the same it sounds horrible, reminding me of an episode of the Six Million Dollar Man. Steve Majors was warned that if a person's doppelganger ever "reached" them, it would signal death.

That sounds more like a 'fetch'. A fetch was your exact double who had come to take you because it was your time to die. Thus when it reached you, you would die. In some stories it was your reflection out of the mirror. When you saw it missing, you knew your fetch was coming to get you. I think this comes from the American south, but I could be wrong about that.

This is not to trivialise my Mother's death in 2003, but when she was dying, she told my father and I that she had just seen herself standing at the end of the bed looking at herself. She took it quite calmly, she was just puzzled. I had heard of Wraiths, but chose to tell her it was a combination of Morphine, lack of sleep and a trick of the light playing on a towel draped on a chair. Happily she accepted that.
Little_grey_ladyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 56
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a doppelganger (think I have posted on this thread before about her) - for about a year, people saw her/me on a regular basis around where I live, and even in other places. Many of my mum's friends who lived around where this person did would comment on having seen me at the bus stop or walking down the road. It would always be when I was somewhere else. This person had similar clothes to me - down to a jacket which I had which was unique (I had taken a denim jacket and customised it). Anyway, these people all knew me well, so it wasn't a case of they hadn't seen me for a while and thought it looked similar, they thought it was me.

Years went by, I lived away from home and came back and forgot about her as no further sightings were seen. Then suddenly, last week my mum said her friend saw me waiting at a bus stop. It was a day I had been at work, so my mum had told her friend that it wasn't me, but friend was adamant - even down to my hair colour - which changed for the darker about a month ago. I'm waiting to see if there are any other sightings. This time round I'm kinda tempted to wander into her patch (there's a particular road the sightings have focused on) to see if I can see her Very Happy
HypermetropiaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 30-12-2009 22:17    Post subject: who do you think I am? Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a Primary School Teacher and she says that there are really on about 8 types of people, (physical/mental). After years of repeated experiences, she can predict a new pupil's behaviour from their physical type.

I have had a hint of that phenomena, I went to a party and a young man left as soon as he saw me......"You look the double of his ex-girlfriend", I was told.

Twice people have stood only a few feet from me and started a conversation, thinking I was their friend. Once in Gloucestershire, once in Suffolk.

I applied for a job as a nanny and the widower who interviewed me for the post was overcome by my resemblance to his dead wife. When I saw her photographs, I realised it was not wishful thinking on his part, I bore an uncanny likeness to her.
Laura_NorderOffline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 17:46    Post subject: Re: who do you think I am? Reply with quote

Hypermetropia wrote:
I have a friend who is a Primary School Teacher and she says that there are really on about 8 types of people, (physical/mental). After years of repeated experiences, she can predict a new pupil's behaviour from their physical type.

thats interesting!

My Mom always said she apparently had a doppleganger when she was a child,she saw her once on the bus but wouldn't look her in the eye incase that old story of one of you dying was true!!
I always get told that someone's seen my double too,even by close friends but I can't imagine anyone looking like me and as I don't have sisters I don't know if I would even recognise the fact that someone else was similar looking IYSWIM?
M_coulterOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 04-01-2010 00:11    Post subject: doppleganger Reply with quote

Many years ago, my girlfriend at the time saw me cross a road in my local town as she turned into an adjacent street. I was 5 miles away at work at the time, drawing a route map of the very street my girlfriend turned into ( the marketing dept. wanted directions to a printers based there ). when I got home that evening to 20 questions I made matters worse by being able to tell her the time it happened. I was in the habit of sneaking off for a smoke halfway between morning break and dinner, which fell at 11:30. I was on my way there when the marketing guys waylayed me. When I said I was at work but it happened about 11:20 she immediatly checked the time on her atm receipt. It read 11::22. Unfortunately she didn't go with the doppleganger - gave me full marks though for quick thinking.
bringerofbroomOffline
Our Rob or Ros
Total posts: 51
PostPosted: 29-05-2012 17:29    Post subject: He's Back. Reply with quote

A few years ago, i posted up this:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390185#390185

well, he is back.

I now have a son, aged 3, and i have got to know a lot of the parents around my neighbourhood ( Highbury, in north london ). Well, I was chatting to a couple of them, and they told me that they saw me, walking through the playground at highbury fields ( next to where the original incident happened ), with my son. They apparently waved to me, and i waved back. According to them, it was definitely my son and i, the only problem with this being WE weren't there! in fact, we were halfway across london at the time!

BoB
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13096
PostPosted: 29-05-2012 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

What'll you do if you meet them face to face?
bringerofbroomOffline
Our Rob or Ros
Total posts: 51
PostPosted: 29-05-2012 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

given how easy going i am usually, laugh about it and go for a beer with him.

BoB
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13096
PostPosted: 29-05-2012 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringerofbroom wrote:

BoB

Probably your best option, if allowing for the possibility of a fracture in the fabric of space/time.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21452
PostPosted: 29-05-2012 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
bringerofbroom wrote:

BoB

Probably your best option, if allowing for the possibility of a fracture in the fabric of space/time.

There can only be one...
ZakariyaAliSherOffline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 07:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stories. While I cannot say that I've ever seen my own double, at least that I was aware of (and I'd like to think that I would recognize myself), I DO have a friend who swears up and down that he saw me in Cyprus. I can easily imagine that he would have seen someone who looked like me, especially if it was a quick look in a crowd or something, and especially in a Mediterranean locale like Cyprus. It wouldn't be so troubling were it not for the fact that he claims he to have had a conversation with me. When I told him I was not in Cyprus and never had this conversation, he got confused. I've got no explanation, unless it was either a dream or some sort of manufactured memory. Or he really saw my doppleganger. Hanging around Cyprus for some inscrutable reason...
sciotofloodsOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 46
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an interesting experience with my own double, or "fetch", while meditating.

I was alone, seated on the floor with my eyes slightly open and looking toward the ground. Suddenly I was sure that someone was standing behind me and that he meant to harm me. I "knew" that this couldn't be true, however, and continued to concentrate on my meditative practice.

Then, a few moments later, I looked up and "saw" myself facing me and sitting directly in front of me. Same face and hair, same clothes, sitting in the same position. But, this double was staring directly at me with a look of pure hatred and malevolence. I was certain that this "person" wanted to kill me.

I had been taught to disregard such visions during meditation, but I couldn't really let it go. I felt I had to respond to it in some fashion. My first impulse was to direct compassion towards the "person", as it seemed so angry and hateful, and sad. It then disappeared.

I hadn't heard about the concept of a "fetch" before reading this thread. The entire episode was terribly frightening, as I felt my life really was at stake. It was also very difficult to look at my own face, but to see it twisted into such an ugly state of hatred and anger.

However, this all took place early in the morning. So if the stories are true it should indicate a long life for me. Very Happy
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26194
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pedant] I pointed out some decades ago (it seems Wink ) that the thread title should be Doppelgangers (or even Doppelgänger, as wiki has it!) [/pedant]
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21452
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
[pedant] I pointed out some decades ago (it seems Wink ) that the thread title should be Doppelgangers (or even Doppelgänger, as wiki has it!) [/pedant]

Did you have to say it twice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: